搞得一团糟
To turn something upside down
Hello, welcome to another edition of The English We Speak.
大家好,欢迎收听新版的地道英语。
I’m Neil.
我是尼尔。
Hi, everyone.
嗨,大家好。
I’m Helen.
我是海伦。
Helen, what are you doing?
海伦,你在干嘛呢?
Are you looking for something?
你在找什么东西吗?
Yes, I am.
是的,我在找东西。
I’m looking for my earring;
我在找我的耳环;
it’s a present from my mum.
那是我妈妈送给我的礼物。
Oh.
噢。
When did you last see it?
你最后一次见到它是什么时候?
A minute ago.
一分钟以前。
I looked in the mirror before I came in to the studio.
我进演播室之前照镜子的时候。
I’m sure I was wearing it.
我确定那时候我还带着它。
Em, I’ll help you look under the table for it.
嗯,我来帮你在桌子底下找找。
But I don’t think you’ll find it by turning the place upside down.
但我不觉得你把这里完全颠倒过来就能找到耳环。
Be calm.
冷静一点。
Let’s leave the chairs on the floor.
让我们把椅子都在地板上放好。
I’m not turning the chairs upside down, they are too heavy.
我没有把椅子倒置过来,这些椅子太重了。
I just want to check underneath them.
我只是想看看椅子底下有没有耳环。
When I say ‘turn the place upside down’,
我说“把这个地方颠倒过来”,
what I mean is you are making the studio very messy.
意思是你把演播室弄得乱七八糟的。
I am sorry.
对不起。
Ugh, I found it.
啊,我找到了。
It’s under the desk.
耳环在桌子底下。
Phew, what a relief.
啊,真是松了一口气。
I don’t think we’d be allowed back in the studio if we literally turned the studio upside down.
如果我们按字面意思,把演播室颠倒过来的话,我想我们就会被禁止进入演播室了。
So to ‘turn something upside down’ means to make the place really messy
所以“把某样东西颠倒过来”意思是说你把这个地方弄得特别乱,
because you’re trying to search thoroughly for something.
因为你在彻底地找某样东西。
Here are some examples.
这儿有几个例子。
I turned my house upside down and I still couldn't find my car keys.
我把我家搞得一团糟,却还是找不到我的车钥匙。
I don’t care if you have to turn the place upside down.
我不在乎你是不是会把这里搞得一团糟。
You’ve got to find my wedding ring.
你必须找到我的婚戒。
Well, let’s tidy up before the studio managers come back and turn our lives upside down.
嗯,在演播室经理过来,并且完全颠覆我们的生活之前,让我们把这里收拾好吧。
Let’s do that!
让我们来收拾吧!