巾帼百名
100 Women
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Catherine...
大家好,欢迎收听六分钟英语。我是凯瑟琳。
…and I'm Li. And today we are talking about women's rights.
我是李。今天我们讨论女性权利。
Catherine, do you think women's rights are well covered by the media?
凯瑟琳,你认为媒体很好地报道女性权利了吗?
Covered means 'talked about'.
报道,也就是谈论。
And I would say it could be better, to be honest.
老实说,我觉得它们能做得更好。
Many women's magazines are all about beauty tips, fashion and how to please your man.
许多女性杂志都是讲述怎么变美,讲述时尚,以及如何取悦男人。
Now, I'm interested in the real issues.
许多女性杂志都是讲述怎么变美,讲述时尚,以及如何取悦男人。
One thing the media doesn't talk about much is what the role of childless women, like myself, is.
媒体一般不会谈论的是无子女的女性,我也没有孩子。
And childless means 'having no children'.
无子女是指没有孩子。
Yes. In some societies, the role of women – role, the way they are expected to behave – is to have children.
没错,在一些社会,女性所扮演的角色就是生孩子,角色就是他们被期望做什么。
If they don't, it's like there's something wrong with them, and they are supposed to be unhappy.
如果她们不生孩子,就好像做错了什么,她们就理应不幸似的。
I have no children and I'm very happy.
我没有孩子,我也很幸福。
Anyway, women in various countries around the world want to discuss problems which are close to home.
总之,全世界不同国家的女性想要谈论贴近生活的问题。
And that's why the BBC has organised a series of programmes to discuss some issues that affect half the world's population.
这也是为什么BBC开设了一系列节目讨论影响全世界一半人口的问题。
The series is called 100 Women and it's the theme of this 6 Minute English.
这套节目叫做《巾帼百名》,也是今天六分钟英语的主题。
The discrimination against women happens in different ways in different countries.
女性歧视在不同国家反映的形式不同。
Discrimination means the unjust treatment of people who belong to different groups - in this case, male and female.
歧视是指不公正地对待不属于同类的人,在这里是指男性和女性的分类。
Maybe Li, more women should be in positions of power.
李,也许应该有更多的女性来掌权。
And that's what today's quiz question is about.
这也是今天的问题。
Li, how many female heads of state or government do we have around the world now, in 2015?
至2015年,全世界有多少位女性国家元首?
Is it: a) 9
a) 9位
b) 19
b) 19位
or c) 29
还是c) 29位?
Well, I'm going to guess… c) 29.
我猜c) 29位。
That's very optimistic and we'll find out later if you're right.
很积极的答案,之后再看你回答得是否正确。
Now, let's talk about the BBC's 100 Women season.
现在我们来谈谈《巾帼百名》。
The season will include programmes across all the BBC platforms – including radio, online, TV and social media.
本季将会在BBC各大平台呈现,如广播、网路、电视和社交媒体。
And the BBC's Tammi Walker is working on the social media offer.
BBC的Tammi Walker一直致力于社交媒体的提供。
Here she is, explaining what audiences can expect.
她会解释观众可以期待什么内容。
Within the season we've got big debates.
本季我们会展开大讨论。
One is "Is news failing women?", which is obviously at the core of what we are trying to get to.
其中一个是“是新闻挫败了女性吗?”,这也是我们关注的重点。
And that will be a live debate held in London but we're going to have people speaking in different countries about that.
之后我们还会在伦敦举办在线讨论,我们想要听到不同国家的声音。
And we're also doing a big debate called "What does it mean to be a good girl or an ideal woman?".
我们还会举办大型讨论,关于“怎么样才是优秀女生或理想女性?”。
December the 1st we have three topics - leadership, relationships and image - and we're going to do three live debates on that day.
12月第一期我们会有三个主题:领导力、人际关系和形象,也会进行三次在线讨论。
And we've sent out packs to over 100 women's groups around the world, so that on the day they all get involved.
我们已经给全世界100多个女性组织寄去邀请函,当天她们也会参与其中。
So at the core of the project 100 Women there will be live debates.
所以《巾帼百名》的中心是在线讨论。
By the way, the word 'core' means 'the central part of it'.
顺便提一下,中心是指某物的中间部分。
Indeed. And as you know Li, in some countries, women face some fairly basic problems…
没错。如你所知,在一些国家女性面临很多基本问题。
Here's Tammi Walker again.
再来听听Tammi Walker的观点。
And this time, what word means, well, you know, what you do when you go to the toilet?
这次来听听哪个词表示上厕所。
We are tying in with World Toilet Day, with the right to pee.
与世界厕所日联系起来,我们讨论小便的权利。
For example in India, women are charged 25 rupees to go to the toilet whereas men obviously can go anywhere for free.
例如在印度,女性要支付25卢比上厕所,而男性随处就可解决。
You don't have to pay to go!
上厕所根本不用付钱。
Yes. Women in India have to pay to pee – it means to urinate, to pass water – while men can go anywhere.
没错,印度女性小便需要付钱,而男性随地就可解决。
It is a matter of public health too.
这也事关公共卫生问题。
Most definitely. Now, this is the third BBC 100 Women season.
确实如此。这是BBC《巾帼百名》第三季。
Last time it prompted a big discussion in Iran.
该节目上次在伊朗引发了大讨论。
Let's hear what Sanam Dolatshahi has to say.
我们听听Sanam Dolatshahi怎么看。
She's a producer from BBC Persian.
她是BBC波斯语频道的制作人。
And can you understand what the word sexism means?
你知道性别歧视是什么吗?
Many people are familiar with other 'isms' you know – for example, racism.
很多人对“某某某主义或歧视”都不陌生,例如,种族歧视。
When you say 'racism' people know what it means in Iran. But not necessarily sexism.
你在伊朗提及“种族歧视”人们知道那意味着什么。但是提及“性别歧视”则不然。
Many people confused it with sex.
很多人将其与性混淆。
So some people were asking us:
所以一些人还对我们说,
Air your programmes about sexism after the watershed, after 9 pm, you know, so that the children will not watch.
你们关于性别歧视的节目放到九点后再播,孩子们就看不到了。
Sexism means to have a very strict idea of what each sex can or can't do and it is a form of prejudice.
性别歧视是对男女性别能做什么不能做什么的绝对看法,是歧视的形式之一。
Sometimes people are prejudiced and they don't even know it.
有时人们在意识不到的情况下就已经被歧视了。
Absolutely. But this prejudice, whether known or unknown, can bring a lot of suffering.
没错。这种歧视,不管知不知道,都会带来很大的痛苦。
Well, there's a lot more we could say about women in our society but we are running out of time.
关于女性还有很多要说,但是我们的节目快要结束了。
So let's get back to our quiz question Li…
我们回到今天的问题。
Yeah. You asked me about women in powerful positions…
好的,问题是关于掌权的女性。
That's right.
没错。
I asked you: How many heads of state or government do we have around the world now, in 2015?
我问你至2015年,全世界有多少位女性国家元首?
Is it:a) 9b) 19 orc) 29
a) 9位b) 19位 还是c) 29位?
And I said c) 29.
我选的是c) 29位。
Unfortunately Li, it's wrong!
很遗憾,你答错了。
The correct answer is b) 19.
正确答案是b) 19位。
And according to a 2015 United Nations report, in 1995 there were only 12 female heads of state or government but now there are 19.
根据联合国2015年的报告,1995年只有12位女性出任国家或政府首脑,而现在有19位。
And before you go let me remind you of some of the key words we've used today.
节目结束前,我们再来听一下今天的关键词吧。
They were:
今天听到的单词有:
covered
报道
childless
无子女的
role
角色
discrimination
歧视
at the core
重点
pee
小便
sexism
性别歧视
Well, that just about brings us to the end of today's 6 Minute English.
今天的六分钟英语就到这里。
We would like to invite you to follow the BBC 100 Women season in English or your own language.
我们推荐您用英语或母语收看《巾帼百名》。
Men are invited too.
男性也推荐收看哦。
And you can find the programmes using the hashtag 100women or go to www.bbc.com/100women.
您可以通过标签“巾帼百名”(100women)或登录www.bbc.com/100women 查看节目。
See you next time.
下次再会。
Bye.
再见。