做模型
Taking shape
Hello again and welcome to English at Work.
欢迎大家再次收听职场英语。
It’s another day at Tip Top Trading and hopefully a happier one, following Denise’s bad news about her job.
上期说到Denise丢了工作,这可是个坏消息。如今又是新的一天,希望顶级贸易公司能快乐点。
I wonder if Tom and Anna are about to get the same bad news?
也不知道Tom和Anna是否会得到同样的坏消息?
It’s really awful having to let a member of your staff go but that’s the situation we’re in, I’m afraid.
让员工辞职,是件很糟糕的事,可我不得不那样做。
And now you’re going to letting us go aren’t you?
所以你现在也要让我俩走,是吧?
Honestly Paul, I’ve given my life to this company and, quite frankly, I’m disappointed…
Paul,老实和你说,我把生命都献给了公司。坦白来讲,你的决定让我很失望。。。
no, I’m angry at your decision. See your biscuits? Well…
不,我是很生气。看到你的饼干没?呵。。。
Tom!
Tom!
That’s what I think of Tip Top Trading…
饼干碎了,顶级贸易公司也该散了。
What?! Hold on Tom. I think you’re a bit confused.
什么?嘿,等一下,Tom,我想你搞错了。
I’m not sacking you too. I need to talk to you about plastic vegetables… you know, the aubergine idea?
我并没想开除你俩。我只是想和你们谈谈塑料蔬菜的事,就是那个茄子想法?
Oh… I see. You’re not sacking us? Sorry Paul…
哦。。。我明白了,你不会解雇我们,是吧?对不起,Paul。
I’ll buy you some more biscuits. So what was it that you had to say?
稍后我多给你买点饼干。对了,你要谈什么事啊?
Plastic vegetables. Yours and Anna’s idea for a plastic aubergine. I like it. It’s good.
塑料蔬菜。我很喜欢你俩的塑料茄子,主意不错。
So, I need you to develop a prototype we can use to show our potential clients.
所以,我需要你俩研发出模型,以展示给潜在客户。
Well that’s great. So where do we get the prototype made?
恩,很好。但我们得去哪里做模型呢?
Upstairs, on the 4th floor. We have a great development team who can magic up some amazing designs.
楼上,4楼。我们拥有非常优秀的发展团队,可创作出令人惊叹的设计。
They’re magicians?
他们是魔术师?
No Anna. They’re just developers who make things out of plastic.
不是,Anna。他们只是用塑料制作东西的设计人员。
Thank you Tom. Look, why not go and have a chat to them now and get the ball rolling.
谢谢你,Tom。好了,你俩快去和他们聊聊,着手做模型吧。
But we’re not making balls.
可是。。。我们又不做塑料球。。
Come on Anna… I’ll explain. See you Paul.
拜托,Anna,我稍后给你解释。回头见,Paul。
‘To get the ball rolling’ – he means to get the project moving along.
‘To get the ball rolling’,意思是着手开始某项目。
Developers can design and make models of your products which you can show and develop.
开发人员可设计、制作你们向其展示的产品。
But you need to give them clear and specific instructions. Let’s see how Anna gets on.
但你们得给他具体明确的说明。一起看看Anna是怎么做的吧。
So this is the development team. Oh hi George, you up for footie on Sunday?
哇,这就是设计团队啊。哦,嗨George,周日去踢球不?
Great. Have you met Anna before?
对了,这是Anna,你以前见过吧?
Hello.
你好。
We’ve come to talk vegetables.
我们是来讨论蔬菜的。
Try the greengrocers!
改行做菜贩了啊。
Ha ha, very funny! No, we need a plastic aubergine making, mate. It’s our new big idea.
哈哈,你真逗。我们是来做塑料茄子模型的,这可是我们的新主意。
Easy. We can just remould the design for the Imperial Lemon.
简单,把帝国柠檬的设计改一下就好了。
Can they Anna? Is that what you wanted?
Anna,他们这样做行吗?这是你想要的模型吗?
To get what you want, you need to explain exactly your requirements.
若要获得所想,你得明确解释自己的要求。
But what shall I say?
但我说什么啊?
Tell them exactly what you were thinking by saying ‘I have a specific idea in mind’ and ‘I’m interested in hearing your thoughts on how to improve my ideas’ and,
告诉他们你的主意。比如‘我有个具体想法’。‘我很想听听您对改进我主意的见解’。
‘I’d like to use your design skills to produce a fantastic product’.
‘我想利用您的设计技巧生产出优秀产品’。
I see. OK, time for me to take control. George… this is quite a special project for us… isn’t it Tom?
明白了,好啦,该我掌握控制权了。George,塑料茄子是我们的特别项目,对吧,Tom?
Oh yeah, right, absolutely.
哦,是的,当然是特别项目。
So we want to get it right and I already have a specific idea in mind.
所以我们想把它做好,而且我脑中已有具体想法。
Great, sure, tell me more.
很好,告诉我吧。
Well, based on a real aubergine, I was hoping it could be 20 centimetres in length, using grade 1 plastic resin,
恩,以真茄子为根基,我希望它总长20厘米,使用1级塑料树脂,
with a black-purple colour and a 30 degree curve on that side. Does that make sense?
表面呈黑紫颜色,并向一边30度弯曲。这样可以吗?
Erm yeah. Quite clear.
呃,可以,讲得很清楚。
Obviously you are a designer, so I’m interested in hearing your thoughts on how to improve our idea.
很明显,您是一位设计者,所以我想听听您对改进我主意的见解。
Well, it looks very impressive already. Gosh, Tom, where did you get her from?
可是你的主意已经很深刻了。苍天,Tom,你从哪把她弄来的?
He didn’t get me from anywhere.
他没从哪把我弄来。
Now, I’d like to use your design skills to develop a fantastic product that I can show everyone. OK?
我想利用您的设计技巧生产出优秀产品,以便展示给大家,没问题吧?
Err… yes. I’ll get onto it straight away.
呃,没问题。我现在就去做。
Excellent Anna. Sometimes it’s important to take control and say what you really want but in a positive and encouraging way.
太棒了,Anna。有时掌握控制权、以积极鼓励方式说出自己所想很重要。
These are the phrases that Anna used:
下面一起回顾下Anna用过的短语:
I have a specific idea in mind.
我有个具体想法。
I’m interested in hearing your thoughts on how to improve my ideas.
我想听听您对改进我主意的见解。
I’d like to use your design skills to produce a fantastic product.
我想利用您的设计技巧生产出优秀产品。
There’s one more phrase to use to make sure things go to plan if someone is making something for you.
还有一个短语,适用于某人为你做东西,你确定它符合计划的场合。
That is ‘I need to sign off your designs before they go into production’, that means approve the plans before anything I made. Off you go Anna…
即‘投入生产前,我要核实计划’,意思就是制作东西前批准计划。好了,Anna,快去吧。
…so when will you have the designs ready then?
您什么时候能设计完呢?
Hopefully by tomorrow morning. Is that OK?
明天早上吧,可以吗?
That will be great but I will need to sign off your designs before they go into production
很好,但在投入生产前,我要核实一下计划。
– that way, there won’t be any mistakes – will there?
这样就不会出错了,是吧?
Crikey Tom, she’s a bit bossy.
天哪,Tom,她太霸道了!
No! She’s a pussy cat really… a bit of a softy.
呃,不是,她其实是只小猫咪,有点多愁善感呢。
Now come on Tom. Fetch my things, we need to go and sort out a leaving present for Denise.
得了,Tom,咱们走吧,还得给Denise准备离别礼物呢。
Oh yeah right, of course, see you George.
哦,对哈。回头见,George。
Hmm, I think Tom’s the pussy cat! Let’s hope the designs come out well.
呃,我看Tom才是小猫咪呢!真希望设计没有问题。
But even more important is Denise’s last day at work tomorrow – how is everyone going to cope?
设计固然重要,但 Denise的事情更重要。明天是她在公司的最后一天,大家会怎样应对呢?
Find out next time on English at Work. Bye.
一起在下期节目中寻找答案吧,拜拜~~