窗外风景
Room with a view
Hello again and welcome to English at Work.
大家好,欢迎回到职场英语。
The team at Tip Top Trading has lots to do, but now Anna has discovered she has to organise a launch party for the new plastic aubergine.
上期讲到顶级贸易团队工作多多,Anna发现自己不得不举办新式塑料茄子发布会。
It’s taking place at the end of the week and nobody has organised a venue yet! I think Anna is going to need some help.
眼看着一周要过去了,大家连个场地都没订!哎,我想Anna需要帮忙了。
(In Paul’s office) So Anna, I’m sorry Tom didn’t tell you but do you think you can turn something round by Friday?
(在Paul的办公室里)Anna,很抱歉Tom没告诉你,但你觉得周五前能搞定吗?
I’ll try, but what do I need to do?
我试试吧,都要做些什么?
Oh not much, book a room somewhere, send out some invites… arrange some food… and drink… that sort of thing.
哦,不多。订个房间、发出请帖、安排食物饮料,就这些事。
That’s all?!
就这些?
You can do it - you’re great at this kind of thing. And get the team to help.
可以的,Anna,你很擅长这些事。再说,你可以找团队帮忙啊。
Well, I’ll give it a go. See you later.
好吧,我去试试。回头见。
Thanks Anna. And don’t forget to order some of those posh Belgian chocolate biscuits, they always go down well with the clients.
谢谢你,Anna。哦,对了,别忘了订些时髦的比利时巧克力饼干,客户们可是很喜欢呢。
Oh dear Anna. It looks like you have your work cut out.
哦,亲爱的Anna,看来你的任务很艰巨啊。
Cut out?
删掉?
I mean, you have a difficult job to do - but as Paul says, you can do it.
不是,我是说你的工作很难做。但正如Paul所说,你可以做到的。
Thanks.
谢谢。
Are you OK Anna? You look a bit worried.
Anna,你没事吧?怎么看起来有点焦虑。
I am. You forgot to tell me about the product launch on Friday and now Paul wants me to organise it.
是很焦虑,你忘告诉我周五产品发布会的事了。现在Paul让我去组织安排。
Did I? Oh sorry. Look, if I can help in any way, just let me know.
我没告诉你吗?哦,对不起。不过只要我能帮忙,你可以随时叫我。
Well, you could book a venue for the launch.
好啊,那你帮我订个场地吧。
Ahh yeah… just remembered, I’ve got some Imperial Lemons I need to send out. Maybe later, yeah?
啊,好。。。等下,我突然想起来,有些帝国柠檬还没送呢。。。那个,我稍后帮你订场地吧,行吗?
How am I going to find a venue for the launch at such short notice?
呃,这么短时间,我可去哪订场地啊?
You need to ask for recommendations, search on the internet, or look in the phone directory, and then make a call.
Anna,你应该征求建议,上网搜索,或查看电话薄,然后打电话。
You need to say “Could I check availability for your venue please?”,
你要说“请问,您的场地现在可用吗?”
then ask “What business facilities do you have?” and “How many people can the room or venue hold?”
“场地有哪些商业设施?”“房间最多可容纳多少人?”
You could ask “Can you provide hospitality?” – that’s things like food and drink.
你还可以问“你们提供接待服务吗?”也就是食物、饮料等东西。
Finally, don’t forget to ask “How much does it cost?”
最后,别忘了问“场地多少钱?”
Thanks, there’s a lot to ask.
谢谢,问题还挺多的。
Hi Denise, I’ve got to book a venue for our plastic aubergine launch. Have you any ideas?
嗨,Denise,我要预定塑料茄子发布会的场地。你有什么想法没?
Well, my friend Marge works for a hotel company that has conference facilities.
恩,我朋友Marge在酒店工作,那里有会议设施。
You could give her a call. Look, here’s her number.
你可以打电话问问她。给,这是她电话。
Oh, thanks Denise. Let’s give it a try… 0–2–0–7–5–6–9–2.
好的,谢谢你,Denise。我打电话试试。0-2-0-7-5-6-9-2.
Hello, the Pitz Hotel. Margery speaking.
你好,我是Pitz酒店的Margery。
Oh hi, this is Anna from Tip Top Trading, I’m a friend of Denise’s.
你好,我是顶级贸易公司的Anna,Denise的好朋友。
Oh hi Anna. I’ve heard all about you. What are you ringing for?
哦,Anna,我知道你。打电话有事吗?
I need to check availability for your venue for a product launch we’re doing.
是的,我公司打算召开产品发布会,想问一下你们的场地是否能用。
Right! Well, I’m sure I can help. We do have a conference room. When is it for?
这样啊,我肯定能帮忙。我们确实有间会议室。你要什么时候用?
This Friday.
这周五。
Friday! This Friday? Well… that’s a bit tricky: the room is being decorated at the moment.
周五!这周五?呃。。。那有点难办了。会议室现在正装修呢。
Oh.
哦。
But we do have a smaller room that you could use – it’s got a lovely view of the car park.
但我们还有间小房间,里面可看到停车场全景。
I see… and how many people does it hold?
我明白了。。。那它能容纳多少人?
You could easily squeeze in about 20 people.
20人左右都没问题。
20 people. I guess it will have to do.
20人,也差不多吧。
Do you have any business facilities – somewhere to plug in the laptop, projector, wi-fi, that sort of thing?
那你们有商业设施吗?可以插笔记本电脑、投影仪,使用Wifi吧?
Oh yes, yes, we’re very hi-tech. We even have a fax machine!
当然可以,没问题。我们可是很高科技的。连传真机都有呢!
And can you provide hospitality too?
那你们提供接待服务吗?
Of course! We do a 'business platter’ consisting of orange juice, sandwiches, canapés-that really means cheese and pineapple on sticks.
当然,我们有专门餐盘,上面有桔汁、三明治和小点心(就是奶酪和菠萝甜点)
I wonder, can you also provide Belgian chocolate biscuits?
那能提供比利时巧克力饼干吗?
I’m sure we can.
恩,我想可以。
That’s great! OK… and most importantly, how much does it cost?
太棒了!哦,最重要的事,房间多少钱?
Well, to book the room for 2 hours usually costs ?1,000.
通常是2小时1000美元。
The hospitality is extra but as you’re a friend of Denise, I’ll throw it in for nothing.
接待服务是另收费的,不过既然你是Denise的朋友,我就不收费了。
You’ll throw the food and drink in?! Won’t that get messy?
你要把食物和饮料扔里面?那不会很乱吗?
No - I mean we’ll provide it for free. Just don’t tell anyone, otherwise everyone will expect it!
呃,我的意思是免费提供接待服务。不要告诉别人哦,否则大家该都希望免费了!
Well, that’s fantastic Marge. Thanks.
哇,太好了Marge,谢谢你。
If you can send us an invoice, we’ll sort payment out as soon as possible.
希望你寄来发票,我们会尽快付款。
Bye Anna, and tell Denise I’ll see her for our Zumba class tomorrow.
好的,拜拜Anna,告诉Denise明天尊巴舞课上见。
Anna has saved the day again. The launch party for the plastic aubergine can now go ahead.
Anna又挽救了大局。现在塑料茄子发布会可如期举行了。
If you’re trying to book a venue for a business meeting or product launch, here are some of the phrases you could use:
如果你想预订商务会议或产品发布会场地,下面这些短语可能会用到:
Could I check availability for your venue please?
请问,您的场地现在可用吗?
What business facilities do you have?
场地有哪些商业设施?
How many people can the room or venue hold?
房间最多可容纳多少人?
Can you provide hospitality?
你们提供接待服务吗?
How much does it cost?
场地多少钱?
So Anna, was Marge any help?
Anna,Marge帮忙了吗?
Yes. She found me a room and gave me a good deal. We just need to invite our clients now.
恩,她帮我找了房间,还给了很多好处。现在我们要邀请客户了。
I can do that. I think it’s best if I call them - there’s no time to post out invitations.
我来做吧。没时间发请帖,还是我来打电话吧。
Good idea.
好主意。
But I just need to give Marge a call first, just to check a few things.
但我要先给Marge打个电话,核实几件事。
Typical Denise. Nothing’s more urgent than talking to Marge!
真是Denise!没有任何东西比和Marge说话更迫切!
He can talk! If you need something doing it seems like Anna is the woman you need.
他可以说!如果你想做某事,貌似Anna是你需要的女人。
Find out what else she is capable of in the next episode of English at Work. Bye!
好了,记得收听下期职场英语,看看Denise还会做什么。拜拜~