吸烟的人
The smoker
Hello, welcome back to Tip Top Trading where Anna is going downstairs to speak to warehouse manager, Mr Ingle.
大家好,欢迎来到顶级贸易公司,Anna正准备下楼去找仓库经理Ingle先生聊一聊。
You’re looking a bit nervous…
你看起来可有些紧张哦……
I am.
是啊,我紧张。
Denise says if I speak to him in the wrong way,
Denise说如果我和他说话的方式不对,
he might bite my head off!
他会把我的头咬下来的!
Relax Anna.
放松点,Anna。
It’s just an expression to mean he might be a bit aggressive.
Denise这么说只是想告诉你Ingle先生可能有些不太好相处罢了。
Oh!
噢!
You’ll be fine,
你会没事的,
just use the right polite phrases…
只要记得用礼貌用语就好啦……
oh, and smile!
对了,还有微笑!
OK, I will.
好的,我会的。
Oh look I’m here now…
看,我到了……
Mr Ingle, are you there?
Ingle先生在吗?
I’d be most grateful if you could give me some…
我想请问您一些事,我会非常感激您的……
oh, what’s that smell… and smoke…
噢,这是什么味道……还有烟……
Mr Ingle!
Ingle先生!
Oh, oh (coughs)
噢,噢(咳嗽)
Mr Ingle. You’re smoking!
Ingle先生,你在吸烟啊!
Well… it’s my lunch break…
呃……我的午休时间到了……
so I’m allowed a cigarette, aren’t I?
我想抽根烟歇歇,不可以吗?
Really? Are you sure?
是吗?你确定吗?
No, he’s not Anna!
不,他当然不可以这样做,Anna!
Smoking in a public place is illegal –
在公共场所吸烟是违法的——
it’s against the law.
法律不允许人们这样做。
It’s dangerous too -
这样也很危险——
you’ve got to do something about this.
你一定要做点什么来阻止他。
Oh right.
恩,没错。
Mmm, er, Mr Ingle, you mustn’t smoke… it’s wrong.
呃,Ingle先生,你不可以吸烟,这是不对的。
Says who?
你说谁?
Err, Me?
呃,我?
Anna. You’ll have to do better than that.
Anna。你应该做得比刚才更好才对。
Be polite, but be firm too.
要有礼貌,但是也不能有失坚定。
Try saying, ‘would you mind not doing that please?’
试着这样来说:您可不可以不要在公共场所吸烟?
I’ll try.
我来试试。
Mr Ingle, would you mind not doing that please?
Ingle先生,您可不可以不要在公共场所吸烟??
Why’s that then?
怎么了?
He’s not being very nice is he?
他看起来不太友好啊,是不是?
You need to give your reasons.
你要给出自己的理由。
Say, ‘I’m afraid it’s against company policy’…
可以说:我担心您这样做有违公司章程……
go on you can do it.
试试看,你能做到的。
Mr Ingle…
Ingle先生……
I’m afraid it’s against company policy.
我担心您这样做有违公司章程。
And… it is actually against the law to smoke here…
而且……在这里吸烟是违反法律的……
and… it’s not a nice smell, is it?
味道也不好闻,您说是不是啊?
It smells OK to me.
我闻着没问题啊。
Well, I’m sorry to have to ask you this but you need to put it out.
很抱歉,我想请您把烟灭了。
Put what out – the cat?!
把什么——猫?!
No. You need to extinguish your cigarette… please.
不是,是您要把烟给灭掉……请您配合。
Says who?
谁?
Well, I’m sure your team wouldn’t like to see you breaking the law and besides,
我想您的团队成员可不想看到你违反法律,还有,
it could cause a fire.
您在这吸烟还有可能引发火灾。
That would be awful.
那样可就不好了啊。
Yeah, I suppose it would.
恩,可能会吧。
I could get you some nicotine gum if you like?
我可以给您点尼古丁口香糖,如果您需要的话?
No, it’s OK.
不用了,谢谢。
I’ll stub it out… as you asked so nicely.
我会把烟灭掉的……看在你好心提醒我的份上。
Thank you Mr Ingle.
非常感谢,Ingle先生。
We’ll keep it a secret this time,
我们就把这次的事情保密,
but please don’t do it again.
但是请您别再吸烟了。
I’m afraid it’s just not permitted on company premises.
在公司里抽烟是被禁止的。
Whatever!
无所谓!
Oh and Mr Ingle, I still really like your overalls.
噢对了,Ingle先生,您的工装裤很好看。
Bye!
再见!
Nice one Anna.
干得好,Anna。
You dealt with Mr Ingle really well.
在Ingle先生这件事上你处理的很棒。
You kept your cool and explained the reasons why he shouldn’t smoke.
你很冷静,也解释了他不能吸烟的理由。
Let’s hope he doesn’t do it again Anna.
希望他下次不会再犯了。
I hope not.
但愿如此。
I hate the smell of cigarette smoke.
我不喜欢闻香烟的味道。
But I never got to ask him about stock management.
但是我再也不想去问他关于库存管理系统的事了。
Well, maybe it’s best to leave it for another time?
或许你可以下次再问?
Anna’s had a tricky day so far dealing with Mr Ingle but she was firm and fair in the language she used.
Anna的这一天可真不容易啊,不过她态度很坚定,说的话也很有道理。
Here’s a reminder of the phrases she used:
下面再来看一下她都用了哪些话来劝说Ingle先生:
Would you mind not doing that please?
您可不可以不要那样做?
I’m afraid it’s against company policy.
恐怕那样有违公司规定。
I’m afraid it’s not permitted.
那样做恐怕是不允许的。
Sorry to have to ask you this but…
很抱歉让您这样做,但是……
Ah Anna, there you are….
噢,Anna,你在这啊……。
Have you been smoking?
你是不是吸过烟?
No!
没有!
You smell of cigarette smoke.
你身上有香烟的味道。
Look, I know you’re under pressure –
我知道你最近压力比较大——
but smoking in the building is not permitted.
但是公司规定不允许在室内吸烟。
Bbbut…
但,但是……
We take this very seriously.
这件事我们要严肃对待。
You had better step in to my office and we’ll talk about this.
你最好来我办公室一趟,我们聊聊。
Oh dear!
噢,天哪!
Anna’s in trouble for no reason.
Anna被冤枉了。
Let’s hope she explains the mix-up,
希望她能解释好这一切吧,
but that means telling Paul about Mr Ingle smoking.
但这就意味着要告诉Paul Ingle先生吸烟的事。
This is going to be difficult.
这可就不好办了啊。
Until next time, bye!
我们下次再见咯,bye!