慰藉食物
Comfort Food
Hello. This is 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English. I'm Neil.
大家好。这里是BBC《六分钟英语》节目。我是尼尔。
And I'm Rob.
我是罗伯。
I see you've been tucking into the biscuits again, Rob.
罗伯,我看见你又开始大吃饼干了。
Well, I have, Neil. You can't beat a bite on a biscuit for a quick and easy sweet treat.
是的,尼尔。咬一口饼干,快捷方便地享受到甜食,你根本没法抗拒。
They make me feel good – as long as I don't eat too many!
它们让我感觉愉悦——只要我不吃太多!
So, these are your "edible comforters" – a comforter is something that makes you feel relaxed and feel good.
所以,这些就是令人感到慰藉的食物,comforter是指让你感到放松和愉悦的东西。
Put another way, it is your comfort food, which is what we're talking about in this programme.
换句话说,它是你的慰藉食物,那就是我们今天节目要谈论的。
Yes, like biscuits – comfort food is snacks and meals we like to stuff our faces with,
是的,就像饼干——慰藉食物是让我们大快朵颐的零食和饭菜,
even if it's not always good for us.
即使它们并不总是对我们有益。
We'll be discussing what actually makes us eat the stuff.
我们将讨论到底是什么使我们去吃这些慰藉食物。
But how about a question to feast on, Rob?
但是,罗伯,回答个问题怎么样?
Patrick Bertoletti from the USA holds the Guinness World Record for eating the most cream-filled biscuits in one minute.
来自美国的帕特里克·贝托莱蒂保持着一项吉尼斯世界纪录——在一分钟内吃下的奶油夹心饼干数量最多。
Do you know how many biscuits he ate?
你知道他吃了多少块饼干吗?
Was it… a) 2, b) 7, or c) 15?
是a) 2块,b) 7块,还是c) 15块?
Well, based on my biscuit-eating skills, I'd say 15
嗯,根据我吃饼干的技巧,我猜是15块
– it depends if he had to swallow them all as well.
——这也取决于他是否必须要把所有饼干咽下去。
I'm not sure about that – but I'll reveal the answer later on.
我不确定那一点——但稍后我将揭晓答案。
Now, biscuits, ice cream, crisps and pizzas are all good examples of comfort food.
饼干、冰淇淋、薯片和披萨都是典型的慰藉食物。
They're easy to snack on and they don't require many culinary skills
它们方便食用,而且不需要太多的烹饪技巧
– culinary means related to cooking.
——“culinary”是指与烹饪相关。
Umm, well that makes sense,
嗯,言之有理,
but there must be something else that is urging us to seek out this 'easy' food.
但一定有其它东西在敦促我们去寻找这种“方便”食物。
According to psychologist Shira Gabriel, it’s about memories and emotional experiences.
据心理学家希拉·加布里埃尔称,这与记忆和情感经历有关。
She spoke on The Food Chain podcast on BBC World Service
她在英国广播公司全球服务的The Food Chain播客上发表了讲话,
and said her comfort food was macaroni and cheese – something that brings back memories…
称她最喜欢的食物是通心粉和奶酪——能勾起她回忆的东西。
At some point in my life those were foods that were made for me or shared with me by people who cared about me and loved me and took care of me,
在我生命中的某个时刻,那些食物是关心、爱护、照顾我的人为我制作或者分享给我的,
so because those are the foods that I had in my youth, I've associated with them, sort of, those feelings of being taken care of.
因为那些是我年轻时吃过的食物,我和它们之间的联系就有那种被照顾的感觉。
And those associations are strong, the associations we have with food are very strong,
而且那些联系很牢固,我们和食物的那种联系非常牢固,
and so by eating those foods, I'm able to activate those associations and give myself a rush of positive feelings and a sense of acceptance.
所以通过吃那些食物,我能够激活这些联系,并突涌出积极感受和归宿感。
… so like so many of us, Shira associates eating certain types of food with past experiences from her youth.
所以,和我们中许多人一样,希拉把吃某种食物和她年轻时的经历联系在一起。
Associates means makes a connection in your mind with something.
Associates是指在你的头脑中与某物产生联系。
And these connections between food and memories are very strong.
食物和记忆之间的这些联系非常牢固。
I know eating biscuits reminds me of eating them after school, as a treat.
我知道吃饼干会让我想起曾经把放学后吃饼干当做对自己的一种犒劳。
Well, Shira explains how we get a rush – a sudden and strong emotion – of positive feelings when these memories are activated by eating comfort food.
好的,希拉解释了当通过吃慰藉食物来激活这些记忆时,我们如何突涌出积极感受——一种突然而强烈的情感。
And it's not just memories that are activated, but also the emotions we feel as well.
被激活的不仅仅是记忆,还有我们感受到的情感。
If we felt happy the first time we ate the food,
如果我们第一次吃这种食物时感到快乐,
then hopefully we'll feel happy when we eat it again.
那么很有可能我们再吃这种食物时也会感到快乐。
It's not always that simple, Rob.
事情并不总是那么简单,罗伯。
Tucking into food that's high in carbohydrates, sugar or salt can make us feel guilty,
大量摄入碳水化合物、糖或盐含量高的食物会让我们有罪恶感,
but we don't realise our minds are trying to trigger – or start - a positive emotion,
但我们没有意识到我们的大脑正试图触发或引发一种积极的情绪,
and it's making us eat that food to do so.
那使我们去吃那类食物来产生积极的情绪。
The Food Chain podcast explores this in more detail,
The Food Chain播客对此进行了更详细的探讨,
but what is interesting is that comfort food isn't universal.
但有趣的是,慰藉食物并不普遍。
Some languages don't have a comparable phrase.
一些语言中没有对等的短语。
It's a good point and something food writer Jenny Linford talked about.
这个观点很好,美食作家珍妮·林福德也谈到过。
Here's her theory on why that is…
这是她关于为何如此的理论:
Talking to Italian friends, I realised that, no, they don't have a phrase for 'comfort food'
和意大利朋友聊天时,我意识到,不,他们没有表达“慰藉食物”的短语
– I think it's sort of irrelevant….
——我觉得他们认为这有点无关紧要……
My Italian friends I asked about comfort food, they were just, they said to me, look you know,
那些被我问及慰藉食物的人,他们就对我说,你知道的,
food is always comfort and always pleasure and it's a joyful thing,
食物总是让人感到慰藉和愉悦,它是令人喜悦的东西,
so it's just really interesting that you know this idea of comfort food is not universal, it's actually quite nuanced.
所以就真的很有趣,慰藉食物的概念并不普遍,它实际上很微妙。
So, according to Jenny's Italian friends, all food brings comfort and pleasure.
所以,根据珍妮意大利朋友的说法,所有的食物都能带来慰藉和快乐。
Talking about specific comforting food is irrelevant – it is not important or has no connection with the discussion.
谈论特定的慰藉食物是无关紧要的——它不重要或与所讨论的无关。
Yes, she thinks the concept of comfort food is quite nuanced,
是的,她认为慰藉食物的概念非常微妙,
depending on where you are from, so there are small but important differences.
那取决于你来自哪里,所以会有细微但重要的差异。
Well, maybe we should take comfort from - or feel less bad about – the fact that
嗯,也许我们应该从以下事实中得到安慰——或者感觉不那么糟糕:
eating any kind of food can bring us joy, warmth, happiness and comfort.
吃任何一种食物都可以给我们带来快乐、温暖、幸福和慰藉。
So if you don't mind, I think I'll munch on another biscuit.
所以如果你不介意的话,我想我要再吃一块饼干。
Are you trying to beat the record of Patrick Bertoletti from the USA?
你是想打破来自美国的帕特里克·贝托莱蒂的记录吗?
Earlier I mentioned he holds the Guinness World Record for eating the most cream-filled biscuits in one minute,
早些时候我提到,他保持着一项吉尼斯世界纪录——在一分钟内吃下的奶油夹心饼干数量最多。
but how many biscuits did he eat?
但他吃了多少饼干呢?
Was it… a) 2, b) 7, or c) 15?
是a) 2块,b) 7块,还是c) 15块?
I thought he ate 15. Was I right?
我认为他吃了15块。对吗?
No, Rob. He scoffed only 7 in one minute.
不,罗伯。他一分钟只狼吞虎咽下7块。
So maybe you can beat him?
也许你能击败他?
But before you do, let's recap on some of the vocabulary we've been discussing.
但是在你那么做之前,让我们回顾一下我们一直在讨论的一些词汇。
Of course. We've been talking about comfort food – food that makes us feel good.
当然。我们一直在谈论慰藉食物——让我们感觉愉悦的食物。
And we described it as a "comforter" - something that makes us feel relaxed and feel good.
我们把它描述为“comforter”——让我们感到放松和愉悦的东西。
We also mentioned culinary – connected to cooking.
我们也提到了“culinary”——与烹饪有关。
And associated – which means made a connection in our mind with something.
associated——那是指在我们的头脑中与某物产生关联。
Something that is irrelevant is not important or has no connection with the discussion taking place.
无关紧要的事情就是不重要,或者与正在进行的讨论无关。
And something that is nuanced has small but important differences.
nuanced就是指具有细小但重要的差别。
Finally, when you take comfort in something,
最后,当你对某事感到欣慰时,
you don't feel so bad because of something else.
你就不会因为其它事情而感觉非常难过了。
Well, Neil, we're out of time,
好了,尼尔,我们没时间了,
but let's take comfort in knowing that there are lots more 6 Minute English programmes to enjoy on our website at bbclearningenglish.com.
但让我们欣慰的是,在我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com上还有更多《六分钟英语》节目可以收听。
Thanks for listening and goodbye.
感谢收听,再见。
Goodbye.
再见。