纹身是个好主意吗?
Is it a good idea to have a tattoo?
Hello. This is 6 Minute English, and I'm Rob.
大家好,这里是六分钟英语,我是罗伯。
I'm Sam. Hello!
我是萨姆。大家好!
Now, Sam, we’re going to be talking about tattoos.
现在,萨姆,我们将要谈论纹身。
Are you a fan?
你是爱好者吗?
Of tattoos?
纹身爱好者吗?
Well, I don’t have one, but they can be quite impressive works of art.
好吧,我没有纹身,但它们是令人印象相当深刻的艺术作品。
Well, I’m not that keen on tattoos – I mean, who wants things drawn on their body?!
好吧,我不是那么热衷于纹身——我是说,有谁会想把东西画在身上呢!?
It sounds like you need some convincing, Rob!
听起来你需要一些有说服力的东西,罗伯!
Maybe our discussion today will change your mind.
也许我们今天的讨论会改变你的想法。
Maybe. But as you’re a fan of them, here’s a question for you to answer.
也许吧。但既然你是纹身爱好者,我有个问题要问你。
According to the Guinness World Records, the record for the most tattooed person in the world goes to Lucky Diamond Rich from New Zealand.
根据吉尼斯世界纪录,世界上纹身最多的人是来自新西兰的洛奇·戴亚蒙德·瑞奇。
Do you know how much of his body is covered by tattoos?
你知道他身上有多少纹身吗?
Is it… a) 80%? b) 90%? Or c) 100%?
是a) 80%?b) 90%?还是c) 100%?
What do you think, Sam?
你觉得呢,萨姆?
Well, it’s got to be 100% if he is the most tattooed man, surely?
嗯,如果他是纹身最多的人,那就得百分之百全是纹身,不是吗?
Not necessarily, but, we’ll see if you’re right at the end of the programme.
不一定,但我们将在节目最后揭晓你是否回答正确。
Now let’s talk more about tattoos.
现在让我们谈论更多关于纹身的内容。
I know many people have them.
我知道很多人都有纹身。
Sometimes it’s a picture of an animal, like a small gecko, sometimes it’s words like ‘I love you’ or the name of a loved one.
有时是动物的图片,比如一只小壁虎,有时是像“我爱你”或爱人的名字那样的文字。
And then there are the huge designs spread across someone’s back, chest or arm - like footballer David Beckham has.
大量的设计图样遍布在人们的背部、胸部或手臂上,就像足球运动员大卫·贝克汉姆那样。
Well, he’s no stranger to a tattoo parlour.
嗯,他是纹身店的常客。
A parlour is the name of the shop where a tattoo artist draws a tattoo on you with ink and a needle.
店铺是店的名字,在那里纹身师用颜料和针在你身上绘制纹身。
Needles! Ouch!
针!哎哟!
OK, so you need some convincing, so let’s hear from Lucie Parfitt, YouTuber and tattoo fan.
好吧,所以你需要一些有说服力的东西,让我们听听油管播主及纹身爱好者露西· 帕菲特的看法。
Here she is speaking on the BBC’s Smart Consumer podcast…
这是她在BBC广播Smart Consumer播客上谈到的。
I’m quite a creative person and ever since I first discovered tattoos, I thought it was a really cool way of expressing yourself.
我是一个很有创造力的人,自从我第一次发现纹身,我就认为它是表现自我的一种很酷的方式。
I’m quite a visual person as well, so for me it really, like, just looked really cool and it made me think more about my own, like, personality and how I could express that in creative ways.
我是一个相当注重视觉的人,所以对我来说,它看起来真的很酷,这让我更多地思考我自己的个性,以及如何用创造性的方式表现我的个性。
Right, so, Lucie describes herself as a creative person.
是的,所以露西形容自己是一个有创造力的人。
When you’re creative you're imaginative and you're like to experiment with new ideas.
当你富有创造力的时候,你是有想象力的,你喜欢尝试新想法。
Yes, Rob. And tattoos are a good way to be creative – trying out different designs and colours - it’s a good way to express yourself.
是的,罗伯。纹身是一种很好的创新方式——尝试不同的设计图样和颜色——这是表现自我的一种很好的方式。
Here, to express yourself means 'to show how you feel in a particular way'.
在这里表现自我的意思是“以一种特殊的方式表达你的感受”。
OK, so some people express themselves through singing or wearing particular clothing,
是的,有些人通过唱歌或穿特别的服装来表现自我,
but here she’s expressing herself through the images on her skin.
但在这里她通过皮肤上的图案来表现自我。
But what happens if you want change what you want to express?
但是如果你想要改变你想表达的会发生什么呢?
Well, then it’s time for a new tattoo!
好吧,那就是时候纹个新纹身了!
OK, well I know that the tattoo industry is big business now – which means it's 'popular and making lots of money'.
好吧,我知道纹身业现在是大生意,这意味着它“很受欢迎,很能挣钱”。
I’ve heard that one in five people now have a tattoo.
我听说现在每五个人里就有一个人有纹身。
Not you yet, Rob! But it has certainly become a trend in recent years and it’s something tattoo artist Lee Clements has noticed.
但其中还没有你,罗伯!但它已经成为近年来的一种潮流,并且纹身艺术家李·克莱门茨也注意到了这一点。
Also speaking on the BBC’s Smart Consumer podcast, he explains why he thinks that is….
他还在BBC广播的Smart Consumer播客节目中解释了为什么他认为那是……
The thing for me that has obviously changed massively over the last, possibly, ten years is you see a lot of celebrities getting tattooed.
对我来说,在过去的十年里,可能显然发生巨大变化的是,你可以看到很多名人都有纹身。
With that comes the fact that you’re going to get people who want to copy them or it becomes almost like a fashion thing,
随之而来的事实是,你想要成为效仿他们的人,或者它几乎成为一种潮流,
so we do see certain tattoos, sort of , becoming a trend and… yeah, so I guess it kind of dilutes that value a little bit, yeah.
所以我们看到某些纹身成为一种潮流……是的,我想它有点儿削弱了纹身的价值。
Ah so it’s celebrities – famous, well-known people from TV, film and fashion – that have possibly driven the trend.
啊,所以是名人——在电视、电影和时尚界众所周知的人——推动了这一潮流。
People want to copy them – or it’s what he says is ‘a fashion thing’,
人们想要效仿他们——或者那就是他所说的“时尚的东西”,
so you have a tattoo because it’s fashionable, which means it’s 'popular at a particular time'.
所以你有一个纹身,因为它是时尚的,这指的是它是“在特定的时间流行的”。
And one of the down sides – the negative things – about just having one to be fashionable is it dilutes the individuality of having one.
而且纹纹身只是为了时尚的负面影响之一——消极的方面——就是它会削弱纹纹身的独特性 。
Dilute means to 'make something less strong or less valuable'.
削弱的意思是“使某物变得不那么强或不那么有价值”。
Well, I’m not going to get one anytime soon – except maybe a big six on my arm to remind me that we only have 6 minutes for this programme,
好吧,我不会很快纹一个纹身——除了可能在我的手臂上纹一个大大的六来提醒我,我们这个节目只有六分钟,
so I’d better reveal the answer to the question I asked you earlier.
所以我最好还是揭晓一下我之前问你的问题的答案。
According to Guinness World Records, the record for the most tattooed person in the world goes to Lucky Diamond Rich from New Zealand.
根据吉尼斯世界纪录,世界上纹身最多的人是来自新西兰的洛奇·戴亚蒙德·瑞奇。
Did you know how much of his body is covered by tattoos?
你知道他身上被多少纹身所覆盖吗?
And I said 100%.
我说是百分之百。
Well done, Sam. That is correct.
做得好,萨姆。那是正确的。
He has held the certified record since 2006 of being 100% tattooed.
自2006年以来,他一直保持着身上百分之百全部被纹身的认证记录。
This includes tattoos inside his eyelids, mouth and ears.
这包括他眼睑、嘴巴和耳朵上的纹身。
Wow! I wonder who gets to see those!
哇!我在想谁能看到那些呢!
OK well, now it’s time to recap the vocabulary we’ve discussed today starting with a parlour.
好了,是时候回顾一下我们今天讨论过的词汇了,从“parlour”开始。
That’s the name for a shop or room where certain businesses carry out their trade
那是一个店铺或房间的名字,某些特定的行当在这里做生意,
– such as a tattoo parlour, a massage parlour or an ice cream parlour.
如纹身店、按摩院或冰淇淋店。
A creative person is someone who uses imagination and experiments with new ideas.
一个有创造力的人就是运用想象力并尝试新想法的人。
And when you express yourself, it means you 'show outwardly how you feel and what you’re thinking'.
当你表现自我的时候,它指的是你“向外展示你的感受和想法”。
If something is big business it is an activity that is currently popular and making lots of money.
如果某事物是大生意,那它就是当前很流行、很赚钱的活动。
And something that is fashionable is popular.
时尚的东西就是流行的东西。
And when something becomes popular it can dilute its value or uniqueness – so it becomes less strong or less valuable.
当某样东西变得流行起来,它的价值或独特性就会被削弱,变得不那么强或不那么有价值。
OK, thank you, Sam.
好的,谢谢你,萨姆。
That’s all for now but there’s plenty more on our website at bbclearningenglish.com.
以上就是今天的全部内容,不过在我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com上还有更多内容。
If you can’t remember the address, why not tattoo it on your arm?!
如果你记不住网址,为什么不把它纹在胳膊上呢?
Goodbye for now!
再见了!
Bye!
拜!