免费工作
Working for free
Hello. This is 6 Minute English. I'm Sam.
大家好,这里是六分钟英语,我是萨姆。
And I'm Rob.
我是罗伯。
Before you got your first job, Rob, did you do any work experience?
罗伯,在你得到第一份工作之前,你有工作经验吗?
I think I may have done a day or two at some companies, just shadowing, watching how they did things – but nothing much more than that.
我想我可能在一些公司干了一两天,只是跟着他们,看看他们是怎么做事的——但仅此而已。
Some companies offer students or recent graduates what they call internships.
一些公司为学生或应届毕业生提供所谓的实习生岗位。
These are extended periods of work experience where someone can be working full-time without an actual contract and in many cases without even being paid.
这些是一段时间的工作经验,某人在没有实际合同的情况下全职工作,在一些情况下甚至没有薪水。
Ah – yes. This is a bit of a problem, isn’t it?
啊,是的。这有点问题,不是吗?
Some companies are being accused of using students and graduates as cheap or free labour.
一些公司被谴责将学生和毕业生作为廉价或免费劳动力使用。
Yes, although the counter argument is that internships are valuable experience for people who need it before they can get a ‘real’ job.
是的,尽管相反的观点是,对于那些在找到“真正的”工作之前需要工作经验的人来说,实习是宝贵的经验。
Well, we’ll look at this topic a little more after this week’s quiz question.
好吧,在这周的测试问题之后,我们将了解更多关于这个话题的内容。
On the topic of business and companies, which is the oldest stock exchange in the world?
关于商业和公司的话题,世界上最古老的证券交易所是哪个?
Is it: A: Bombay, B: New York, or C: Amsterdam?
是A:孟买证券交易所,B:纽约证券交易所,还是C:阿姆斯特丹证券交易所?
What do you think, Rob?
你觉得呢,罗伯?
Tricky, because I was expecting London on that list.
刁钻的问题,因为我以为伦敦会在名单上。
I’m going to take a guess then at Amsterdam.
我猜测是阿姆斯特丹证券交易所。
OK. Well, I will reveal the answer later in the programme.
好的。好吧,稍后我将在节目中揭晓答案。
James Turner is the chief executive of an education charity.
詹姆斯·特纳是一家教育慈善机构的首席执行官。
Recently he took part in a discussion on the BBC radio programme You and Yours, on the topic of internships.
最近,他参加了BBC广播You and Yours节目中一场关于实习的讨论。
What does he think is a big issue with unpaid internships?
他认为无薪实习的最大问题是什么?
In many careers we’re now seeing that it’s almost as an expectation that a young person does an internship before they stand a chance of getting that first full-time job in that profession.
我们现在看到在许多职业中,年轻人在有机会获得该职业的第一份全职工作之前,先去实习差不多是意料之中的。
And the issue with that from a sort of social mobility point of view is that a substantial proportion of those internships are unpaid and that effectively rules out those who can’t afford to work for free.
从社会流动性的角度来看,该问题在于那些实习中有相当大的比例是无报酬的,那实际上排除了那些无力负担免费工作的人。
So what is the problem with unpaid internships, Rob?
所以无薪实习有什么问题呢,罗伯?
Well, if you can’t afford to work for free, it makes it very difficult to do an internship – particularly in expensive cities like London.
如果你无力负担免费工作,那么你就很难找到实习机会——尤其是在像伦敦这样的高成本城市。
This excludes, or rules out a lot of people from the benefits of an internship.
这将很多人排除在实习的好处之外,或者排除了他们获得实习好处的可能性。
This is bad for social mobility, which is the ability of people to move to higher, better paid levels in society.
这对社会流动性是不利的,社会流动性是指人们在社会中向更高、更佳收入水平迈进的能力。
So the poorer you are the more difficult it can be to get a good job, even if you have the ability.
所以你越穷,就越难找到好工作,即使你有能力。
Could you afford to work for free here in London, Sam?
你能负担得起在伦敦免费工作吗,萨姆?
No, I can barely afford to live in London as it is, so the idea of doing an unpaid internship would not appeal to me at all.
不,我几乎负担不起伦敦的生活,所以无薪实习对我一点吸引力都没有。
Turner goes on to talk about other issues that are also problematic in internship programmes.
特纳接着谈到了实习项目中存在的其它问题。
Too often internships are open to those with established connections in the professions,
通常情况下,实习只面向那些在专业领域有既定联系的人,
and again that rules out those young people who don’t have the well-connected families or friends who can open those doors for them.
这又再次排除了那些年轻人,他们没有有门路给他们走后门的家人或朋友。
So what are these other issues?
所以其它问题是什么?
In many cases he says that internship opportunities are only available to those with established connections to the company or industry.
他表示,在很多情况下,只有那些与公司或行业有既定联系的人可获得实习机会。
This means they have some pre-existing link with the company, for example, through family or friends’ families.
这意味着他们已经与公司有了某种联系,例如,通过家人或朋友的家人。
Yes, it’s a lot easier if your family is well-connected, if it has a lot of contacts and links to a particular company or important people in that company.
是的,如果你的家庭有门路,如果你的家庭与某家公司或公司里的重要人物有很多联系,那就容易多了。
These links make it easier to open doors to the opportunity.
这些联系使获得实习机会更容易。
To open doors is an expression that means to get access to.
To open doors是意思为“获得”的表达。
So it seems that to be able to do an unpaid internships you need to have a fair bit of money,
因此,要想获得无薪实习机会,你需要有一笔可观的钱,
and to get an internship in the first place you may need to have a previous link to the company through a family connection, for example.
而且要获得实习机会,首先你可能需要之前就与公司有所联系,例如通过家庭联系。
So the system would seem to be difficult for poorer families and make it more difficult for students without those resources or connections to get on the job ladder.
因此,这一体系对贫困家庭来说似乎很困难,也让那些没有资源或人脉的学生更难获得实习生岗位。
Here’s James Turner again.
再听一遍詹姆斯·特纳所说的。
Too often internships are open to those with established connections in the professions,
通常情况下,实习只面向那些在专业领域有既定联系的人,
and again that rules out those young people who don’t have the well-connected families or friends who can open those doors for them.
这又再次排除了那些年轻人,他们没有有门路给他们走后门的家人或朋友。
Right, time now to answer this week’s question.
好了,是时候回答本周的问题了。
Which is the oldest stock exchange in the world?
世界上最古老的证券交易所是哪个?
Is it: A: Bombay, B: New York, or C: Amsterdam?
是A:孟买证券交易所,B:纽约证券交易所,还是C:阿姆斯特丹证券交易所?
Rob, what did you say?
罗伯,你说是哪个?
I went for Amsterdam.
我说是阿姆斯特丹证券交易所。
Well done, that’s correct.
做得好,回答正确。
Congratulations to everyone who go that right, and extra bonus points if you know the date.
恭喜每一位答对的人,如果你知道日期,还有额外的加分。
Rob?
罗伯,你知道吗?
Haven’t a clue! 1750?
不知道!1750年?
Actually it’s a lot earlier, 1602.
实际上要早得多,1602年。
Wow, that’s much earlier than I thought.
哇,那比我认为的要早多了。
Right, let’s have a look again at today’s vocabulary.
好的,让我们再来看看今天的词汇。
We’ve been talking about internships which are periods of work at companies as a way for students or new graduates to get experience in a particular field.
我们一直在讨论的实习是指在公司工作的一段时间,是学生或应届毕业生获得某一特定领域经验的一种方式。
If they are unpaid it can make social mobility very difficult.
如果他们没有报酬,社会流动性就会变得非常困难。
This is the movement from a lower social level to a higher one and it’s difficult as poorer candidates can’t afford to work for free.
这是从较低社会阶层向较高社会阶层的迈进,而且由于较穷的申请者负担不起免费工作,所以那很困难。
Yes, the cost rules them out, it excludes them from the opportunity.
是的,成本把他们排除在外,排除了他们获得实习机会的可能性。
What helps is if you have established connections with a company.
如果你与一家公司有所联系,那就会对你有帮助。
This refers to previous or pre-existing links with a company.
这指的是以前或之前与公司的联系。
And also if your family is well-connected, if it has good connections, for example if your father plays golf with the CEO,
而且,如果你的家庭有门路,如果有很好的社会关系,比如你的父亲和公司的CEO打高尔夫,
it can open doors, or in other words, it can make it easier to get into the company.
那么它就可以让你走后门,换句话说,它可以让你更容易进公司。
So Sam, are you well-connected?
所以萨姆,你有门路吗?
No, only to my smartphone!
不,我只和我的智能机关系好!
Same here – but we still made it to BBC Learning English.
我也是,但是我们仍能和BBC教学英语有联系。
But for now, that’s all from 6 Minute English. See you again soon. Bye bye!
节目就到这里了,以上就是本期节目的全部内容。下次见。拜拜!
Bye everyone!
再见啦,各位!