最佳状态
A game
Hello and welcome to The English We Speak.
大家好,欢迎来到BBC《地道英语》。
I'm Feifei.
我是菲菲。
And I'm Roy!
我是罗伊!
I'm so excited!
我太兴奋了!
You made me so happy when you messaged me what we're doing today!
当你告诉我我们今天要做什么的时候,我特别高兴!
What?!
什么?!
We are about to go into one of the most intense and important meetings of our lives.
我们即将进入我们生命中最紧张和最重要的会议之一。
Why are you happy about that?
你为什么对此感到高兴?
I thought we were playing a selection of classic board games!?
我以为我们在玩经典棋盘游戏呢!?
I brought my favourite game.
我带了我最喜欢的游戏。
Why on earth would you bring a selection of board games to a huge meeting?
你到底为什么要带一些棋盘游戏去参加一个大型会议?
You told me in your message to bring a game!
你在短信里告诉我要带“a game”!
You were very clear!
你说得很清楚!
No, Roy!
不,罗伊!
I said bring your A game! Not bring a game!
我说让你“bring A game”!不是带游戏!
Your A game is your best performance - and that's what we need in this meeting.
“Your A game” 的意思是 “某人最好的状态”。我是让你带着自己最好的状态来参加这个重要的会议。
Right, well clearly I have brought my A game -
是的,很明显,我带上了最好的状态,
and a great board game that we can play after we are successful in the meeting!
还有一个好玩的棋盘游戏,会议成功之后我们可以玩!
Roy, if you manage to convince everyone of my plan,
罗伊,如果你能说服大家采用我的计划,
I'll play your stupid game!
我就来玩你的愚蠢游戏!
Let's listen to these examples while we have a meeting.
我们开会时一起来听这些例子。
Claus brought his A game to the meeting and sealed the deal.
克劳斯在会上拿出了最佳表现,达成了协议。
That team won the match easily.
那个队轻而易举地赢得了比赛。
They brought their A game.
他们拿出了巅峰状态。
Erica didn't bring her A game to the quiz, and we lost by a point.
艾丽卡拿出巅峰状态参加知识竞赛,我们输了一分。
This is The English We Speak from BBC Learning English, and we're talking about the expression "A game".
这是BBC学习英语讲的英语,我们讨论的是“A game”这个短语。
Your A game is your best or highest level of performance.
“Your A game”是指你最好的状态,最巅峰的表现。
Yes, it's commonly used with the verb "bring" and a possessive pronoun like "your".
是的,它常与动词“bring”和“your”这样的所有格代词连用。
You're very lucky that I brought my A game to the meeting -
你很幸运,我要用最佳状态参加会议,
but it really didn't seem like that a truly vital and important meeting.
但这看起来并不是一个真正重要的会议。
It was for me.
它对我而言很重要。
I'm just really happy you managed to convince them that I needed an indoor golf course in the office!
我真的很高兴你能说服他们我需要在办公室里建一个室内高尔夫球场!
And now I believe I owe you something!
现在我相信我欠你一些东西了!
Yes, you promised to play the board game I brought with me today!
是的,你答应玩我今天带来的棋盘游戏!
No, not that - it looks boring,
不,不是这样,看起来很无聊,
and I don't want to fall asleep.
我不想睡着。
I was thinking of playing some golf.
我在考虑打高尔夫球。
Well, OK.
好吧,好吧。
I like golf, I'm not very good at it,
我喜欢高尔夫,但我不是很擅长,
so I'll have to bring my A game if I want to beat you.
所以如果我想打败你我就得拿出最佳表现。
You're not playing - I'll let you carry my clubs while I play as a reward for your hard work in the meeting.
你不打球,我会让你拿着我的球杆,而我则是为了奖励你在会议上所做的努力。
So, don't worry about bringing your A game.
所以,别担心拿出你的巅峰状态。
Bye!
再见!
Bye!
再见!