随大流的“羊人”
Sheeple
Hello and welcome to The English We Speak with me, Feifei…
大家好,欢迎来到BBC《地道英语》,我是菲菲……
...and me, Neil.
还有我,尼尔。
Nice bobble hat, Neil!
小绒球帽子真好看,尼尔!
Thanks.
谢谢。
But not very practical - wearing a hat indoors must be quite hot.
但是不太实用,在室内戴帽子一定很热。
It's the fashion, Feifei.
这是时尚,菲菲。
Some of us have to keep up with the trends.
我们当中,一定要有人跟上潮流。
Right!
没错!
Maybe that explains the waistcoat you're wearing as well - to be fashionable?
也许这解释了,你为什么穿马甲——也是为了时髦?
Oh you wouldn't understand, Feifei!
你不会明白的,菲菲!
I understand very clearly - you are a sheeple.
我非常明白,你就是一个“sheeple”。
What are you bleating on about?
你在抱怨什么?
Sheeple - It describes people who just follow the crowd,
“sheeple”是指那些随波逐流,没有思想的人。
Basically, you are easily led - like a sheep!
总的来说,你很容易被别人的引导——就像一只羊!
But you're not the only one - listen to these examples…
不过这样的人不只你一个——听一听下面的例子……
I can't believe all these sheeple who've paid lots of money for the latest smartphone - they'll be half price in a few months' time!
我真不敢相信这些花大笔钱买最新智能手机的潮流追赶者,几个月后就会降成半价了!
My brother's one of those sheeple who has to follow the latest fashions - he's now wearing ripped jeans,, but so is everyone else at his college!
我弟弟是那种必须跟上最新潮流的“羊人”,他现在穿的是破洞牛仔裤,但他大学里的其他人也是!
Although nearly everyone in my class has one of those smartwatches, I’m not going to be one of those sheeple – I’m going to stick with the old watch my grandmother gave me instead!
虽然我班上几乎每个人都有这样的智能手表,但我不想成为随波逐流的那种人——我要坚持戴祖母给我的那块旧表!
This is The English We Speak from BBC Learning English and we're talking about the word "sheeple".
讨欢迎收听BBC《地道英语》节目,我们t论的是“Sheeple”这个词。
It's a mix of the English words "sheep"and "people".
这个词是由英语单词“sheep”和“people”和在一起构成的。
It describes people, who just like sheep, follow what other people do or things that are trending.
它是指那些就像羊一样,跟着其他人做事,或者追随流行事物的人。
So you're saying I'm trending?
你是说我是潮流?
No, I'm saying you are just following the trend - you can't think for yourself.
不,我是说你只是跟随潮流,你不能自己思考。
Like a sheep!
像羊一样!
I don't think so - look I'm wearing sandals and socks.
我不这么认为,看,我穿着凉鞋和袜子。
That's not fashionable but very comfortable.
这可不时髦,但很舒服。
Hmmm, that reminds me of sheep as well - stupid!
嗯,这也让我想起了羊——愚蠢!
Charming!
你厉害!
I'd watch out, Feifei.
我会小心的,菲菲。
I might be a wolf in sheep's clothing!
我可能是只披着羊皮的狼!
Bye, Neil.
再见,尼尔。
Bye.
再见。