舒适的鞋子越来越受欢迎
The rise in popularity of the comfy shoe
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Dan.
大家好,欢迎来到六分钟英语,我是丹。
Let me just sit down. Ah! And I'm Neil.
让我坐下。啊!我是尼尔。
Neil, are you wearing high heels?
尼尔,你穿高跟鞋了?
Hang on. Ah! Not any more!
等一下。啊,没再穿了!
How did they feel?
穿高跟鞋感觉怎么样?
Agony! How do women do this?
痛苦!女性怎么做到这一点的?
Why on earth are you wearing them?
你究竟为什么要穿高跟鞋?
Well, I wanted to look fashionable and cool!
好吧,我想看起来既时尚又酷!
Everyone knows that high heels are the height of fashion – on the street, at work and at parties.
大家都知道高跟鞋是时尚的巅峰——在街头,工作和派对上。
I'm ready for anything!
我准备好了!
I'm not so sure you're right there, Neil.
尼尔,我不太确定你那样说是对的。
Our topic for this 6 Minute English is about the rise in popularity of the comfy shoe.
我们这期六分钟英语的主题是关于舒适的鞋子越来越受欢迎。
However, before we step into that, let's have our quiz question.
但是,在我们开始之前让我们提出测验问题。
Which famous sports clothing company's first pair of running shoes was inspired by the square pattern on a waffle-making machine?
哪家著名的运动服装公司的第一双跑鞋的灵感来自于华夫饼机的方形图案?
Was it: a) Adidas b) Nike, or c) Puma?
它是:a)阿迪达斯,b)耐克,还是c)彪马?
Well, I have no idea, so I'm going to say Adidas because that's got marks.
好吧,我不知道,所以我说是阿迪达斯,因为那有分数。
We'll have to wait until later to find out.
我们得稍后才能找出答案。
So, what do you think of when I say comfy shoes?
所以,当我说舒适的鞋子时你怎么看?
Well, comfy is an adjective which is an informal way of saying 'comfortable'.
好的,“comfy”是一个形容词,它是“comfortable”的一种非正式说法。
So, I suppose we're talking trainers.
所以我想我们正在谈的是运动鞋。
But I was always told that trainers weren't appropriate for everywhere, like work and many formal or social places, such as parties, bars and clubs.
但我总是被告知运动鞋并不适合所有场合,比如工作和许多正式场合或者社交场所,比如派对上,酒吧和俱乐部。
Well, that certainly used to be the case, but that may not be as true any more.
好吧,曾经当然是那种情况,但那可能不再适用了。
Victoria Moss is the Senior Fashion Editor at the Telegraph newspaper in the UK.
维多利利亚·莫斯是英国电讯报的高级时尚编辑。
Here she is speaking on BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour about why trainers are considered more fashionable these days.
在BBC广播4频道Woman's Hour节目中她讲述了为什么现在运动鞋被认为是更加时尚的。
Is it something that's happened very recently?
那是最近发生的事情吗?
Well I think it's been, sort of, coming on for a while.
好吧,我认为已经有一段时间了。
And I think one thing in fashion in the last 10 years has been a, sort of, mass casualisation of everything.
而且我认为在过去十年中流行的一件事情就是所有事物的大规模休闲化。
And there's been a big streetwear trend, which has filtered through.
而且受欢迎的街头风已经出现。
So, is it something that's happened very recently?
所以它是最近发生的事吗?
Apparently not, no.
显然不是,不是。
She said that there has been a mass casualisation of things over the last 10 years.
她说在过去十年事物大规模休闲化。
Casualisation here means 'the process of becoming less formal and more relaxed' – 'more casual'.
这里的“休闲化”意味着“变得不那么正式,更放松的过程”——“更随意”。
Yes! Society has relaxed its idea of what is considered formal or appropriate.
是的! 社会放宽了什么被认为是正式或适当的概念。
In addition, we're told there has been a big streetwear trend.
此外我们被告知有一阵受欢迎的街头风。
Streetwear is a style of casual clothing worn especially by young people from urban settings – that's the city.
街头风是一种休闲穿衣风格,特别是来自城市的年轻人——那指的是城市。
This trend has filtered through.
这种潮流已经出现。
If something filters through, it appears or happens gradually over time.
如果某事物“filters through”,它会随着时间的推移逐渐出现或发生。
So, presumably, the trend for streetwear filtered through from its specialised area into mainstream fashion until everyone was following it.
所以据推测,街头风的潮流从其特定领域逐渐出现在主流时尚中,直到每个人都追求这种潮流。
Well, that explains why trainers are more fashionable these days, but it doesn't explain why people are wearing them more.
好吧,那就解释了为什么现在运动鞋更加时尚,但这并不能解释为什么人们更多地穿运动鞋。
Not everyone follows fashion, you know.
你知道的,并不是每个人都追求时尚。
Yes, Neil I can see that when I look at you.
是的,尼尔,看看你我就能知道。
But you're forgetting the comfy part.
但你忘记了舒适这部分。
Emma Supple is a podiatrist – a foot doctor - who also spoke on Woman's Hour.
艾玛 ·苏普拉是一名足病医生——一名足科医生——她也在Woman's Hour节目发言。
Here she is explaining why being comfy is so important.
在这里她解释了为什么舒适如此重要。
What are people doing more these days that they weren't before?
现在什么是人们做得更多而以前却没有做过的事情?
So what we're actually talking about is, actually, people, for wellness walking more and doing more…
所以我们实际上谈论的是,实际上人们为了健康步行更多,做的更多……
and they're not going to do that in a lot of high heels… so trainers are changing the materials.
而且他们不会在穿着高跟鞋的时候那样做……所以运动鞋的材质正在变化。
There are now a lot of fabric trainers and if you've inherited foot problems, then that kind of fabric… they're wrapping around knobbly bits, and knobbly bits hurt.
现在有很多棉布运动鞋,而且如果你遗传了足病,那么那种棉布材质……它们会包裹着凸起的地方,凸起的地方会受伤。
What are people doing more?
人们做得更多的是什么?
They're walking more and they're doing it for wellness.
他们走的更多,而且他们那么做是为了健康。
Wellness is the state of being healthy.
“Wellness” 是健康的状态。
As a result, trainers have had to change their materials to fabric to make themselves more comfortable.
因此运动鞋不得不将材质改为棉布以使自己更舒适。
Not only that, but if you have any foot problems, these fabric, or cloth, trainers are better at fitting to the shape of your foot.
不仅如此,如果你有任何足部问题,这些棉布或布料的运动鞋会更适合你的脚型。
That means if you have any knobbly bits, they won't hurt as much, which makes trainers more comfortable for everyone!
这意味着如果你有任何凸起的地方,它们不会受到太大的伤害,这使得运动鞋对每个人来说都更加舒适!
Knobbly is an adjective that means 'lumpy' – 'having many raised areas on the surface'.
“Knobbly”是一个形容词,意思是“凹凸不平的”——“表面上有很多凸起的区域”。
So, it's the combination of a change in fashion and a change in materials that's made trainers and other comfy shoes more popular than ever, right?
因此,时尚的改变与材质的改变相结合使得运动鞋和其它舒适的鞋比以往更受欢迎,对吗?
Exactly!
正是!
And hard on the heels of that revelation, we can reveal the answer to our quiz question.
紧跟其后的是我们可以揭晓我们测验问题的答案了。
Earlier I asked which famous sports clothing company's first pair of running shoes was inspired by the square pattern on a waffle-making machine.
早些时候我问,哪家著名的运动服装公司的第一双运动鞋的灵感来自于华夫饼机的方形图案?
Was it: a) Adidas b) Nike, or c) Puma?
它是:a)阿迪达斯b)耐克,还是c)彪马?
Neil, you said?
尼尔,你说是?
I said Adidas.
我说是阿迪达斯。
Sorry. The answer is Nike.
很遗憾。答案是耐克。
In 1971 their co-founder Bill Bowerman was having breakfast when he saw the waffle machine and it inspired the design of Nike's first running shoe.
1971年,他们的联合创始人比尔·鲍尔曼吃早饭的时候看到华夫饼机,这激发了耐克第一款运动鞋的设计灵感。
Let's hope it was comfy one.
我们希望它是舒适的。
Aha! It must be time to review our vocabulary!
啊哈!现在是时候回顾我们的词汇了!
So, first we had comfy – an adjective which is an informal ways of saying 'comfortable'.
所以,首先我们学习了“舒适的”——一个形容词,它是“轻松的”一种非正式的说法。
Then we had casualisation.
然后我们学了“休闲化”。
This describes the process of things, such as fashion or behaviour, becoming less formal and more casual.
这描述了像时尚或举止这类事情变得不那么正式和更加随意的过程。
Next was streetwear.
接下来是街头风。
That describes a style of casual clothing that is worn especially by young people who live in cities.
那描述了特别是居住在城市的年轻人的休闲服装穿着风格。
Then we heard filtered through.
然后我们听到了“filtered through”。
If something filters through, it appears or happens gradually over time.
如果某事物“filtered through”,它会随着时间的推移逐渐出现或发生。
For example, has it filtered through to you yet, Neil, that high heels were a mistake?
例如,到现在你有没有发现高跟鞋是一个错误?
Yes it has!
是的,有!
They didn't do anything for my wellness, I can tell you, which means'the state of being healthy'.
我可以告诉你,它们对我的健康没有任何作用,那指的是“健康的状态”。
And lastly, we had knobbly.
最后我们学了“knobbly”。
This adjective means 'lumpy' or 'having many raised areas on the surface' - like skin when it gets cold.
这个形容词的意思是“凹凸不平的”或“表面有许多凸起的区域”—— 就像冷的时候的皮肤一样。
Do you have anything knobbly on your foot, Neil?
尼尔,你脚上有什么凸起的地方吗?
Probably! My feet are killing me!
或许!我的脚快要了我的命了!
I think we've found your Achilles heel!
我想我们已经找到了你的致命弱点了!
However, it's time to go.
然而是时候结束节目了。
But we will be back.
但我们还会回来的。
In the meantime, you can find us in all the usual places online and on social media, just look for BBC Learning English.
与此同时,你可以在网上和社交媒体上的所有常见地方找到我们,只需查找BBC教学英语。
Bye for now.
再见了。
Goodbye!
再见!