整理潮
The decluttering trend
Hello. This is 6 Minute English. I'm Rob.
大家好。这里是六分钟英语,我是罗伯。
And I'm Neil.
我是尼尔。
Now, Neil, are you a tidy person?
尼尔,你是个整洁的人吗?
Me? Oh dear no! You should see my floordrobe!
我吗? 哦,亲爱的,不!你应该看看我的地板衣橱!
Your floordrobe?
你的地板衣橱?
Yes. Tidy people keep their clothes in a wardrobe.
是的。整洁的人把衣服放在衣柜里。
I just dump a lot of my clothes on the floor, so – a floordrobe.
我只是把很多衣服丢在地板上,所以——一个地板衣橱。
Ah yes, well it sounds as if you could use a bit of decluttering.
啊,是的,听起来好像你可以稍微整理一下。
Clutter is the word for general mess and untidiness when you have too many things, too much stuff.
当你有太多物品,太多东西时,“杂乱”是指大体上混乱和不整洁的一个单词。
These days the idea of decluttering is very popular.
现在整理的想法非常受欢迎。
Oh, I love a good declutter - trouble is, I hate throwing things away.
哦,我喜欢好好清理——问题是,我讨厌扔东西。
Well, we might have some advice for you in today’s programme.
好吧,我们可能会在今天的节目里给你一些建议。
But first, a question.
但首先有一个问题。
It’s about cleaning up.
它是关于清理。
The vacuum cleaner is a machine we use to clean our houses.
真空吸尘器是我们用来清洁房屋的机器。
When were the first mechanical floor cleaners, which later became vacuum cleaners, invented?
第一台机械地板清洁机,后来变成真空吸尘器的机器是什么时候发明的?
Was it: A) the 1860s? B) the 1890s? Or C) the 1920s?
它是:A)19世纪60年代? B)19世纪90年代? 还是C)20世纪20年代?
Well, you know what? I have no idea! So, I’ll say the 1890s.
好吧,你知道吗? 我没想法!所以,我会说是19世纪90年代。
OK, well, I’ll have the answer later in the programme.
好的,好的,稍后我将在节目中揭晓答案。
The decluttering techniques of Marie Kondo are very popular these days.
现在麻理惠的整理技术非常受欢迎。
A UK decluttering expert, Lesley Spellman, appeared on the BBC radio programme You and Yours to discuss the topic.
英国整理专家莱斯利·斯佩尔曼做客BBC广播You and Yours节目来讨论这个话题。
She was asked to describe the basics of the Marie Kondo method.
她被要求描述一下麻理惠整理方法的基础知识。
What’s the first thing she recommends people start with?
她建议人们开始要做的第一件事是什么?
She basically says you have to do things in a certain order.
她基本上是说你必须以某种顺序做事。
You have to start with your clothes.
你必须从你的衣服开始。
Then you move on to your books.
转而是你的书。
Then you move on to paperwork.
然后是你的资料文件。
Then you go on to something called 'komono', which is kind of everything else: kitchens, bathrooms, garages, lofts etc.
再然后你继续处理一些叫做“komono”的东西,其中包含各种东西:厨房里的,浴室里的,车库里的,阁楼里的等等。
And then finally you tackle sentimental things.
最后你再解决引发怀旧之情的东西。
She says that you have to start with your clothes before moving on through different categories of clutter.
她说在整理其它不同类型的杂乱之前,你必须从你的衣服开始。
The verb she uses for dealing with these things is to tackle.
她用来处理这些事情的动词就是“to tackle”。
To tackle something means 'to deal with it, to sort it out'.
解决某问题就意味着“处理它,解决它”。
And the last things she says you need to tackle are sentimental things.
她说你最后需要解决的东西是引发怀旧之情的东西。
These are things that you have an emotional connection to, such as old letters and photographs.
这些是与情感有关的事物,例如旧信件和照片。
I have to say those are the things I find most difficult to get rid of!
我不得不说那些是我发现最难清理的东西!
I’m very sentimental like that.
我非常感性,就像那样。
I think you just have to be ruthless, Rob!
我想你只需要无情就可以,罗伯!
Either that or buy a bigger house.
无情或者是买一个更大的房子。
Right, let’s listen to Lesley Spellman again.
好吧,让我们再听一遍莱斯利·斯佩尔曼所说的。
She basically says you have to do things in a certain order.
她基本上是说你必须以某种顺序做事。
You have to start with your clothes.
你必须从你的衣服开始。
Then you move on to your books.
转而是你的书。
Then you move on to paperwork.
然后是你的资料文件。
Then you go on to something called 'komono', which is kind of everything else: kitchens, bathrooms, garages, lofts etc.
再然后你继续处理一些叫做“komono”的东西,其中包含各种东西:厨房里的,浴室里的,车库里的,阁楼里的等等。
And then finally you tackle sentimental things.
最后你再解决引发怀旧之情的东西。
So why is it that decluttering is such big business these days, and there are many people and companies offering advice and services?
所以为什么现在清理是如此大的事情,并且有很多人和公司为此提供建议和服务呢?
Here’s Lesley Spellman again with her thoughts on this.
这是莱斯利·斯佩尔曼再次谈到她对此的看法。
I think there's been a big shift really.
我认为真的有一个很大的转变。
So my generation, my parents, you know, definitely came from that 'make do and mend' era post war in the sort of 20th century.
所以,我这一代,我的父母,你知道,绝对来自20世纪战后那种修修补补将就用的时代。
And then all of a sudden people started to get a little bit more money.
然后突然之间人们开始有更多的钱。
Things became more affordable.
东西变得更加实惠。
You can buy five tops for five pounds each and people have done that.
你可以以每件五英镑的价格买五件上衣,而且人们已经那样做了。
And that's allowed the consumerism to kind of go crazy in the 21st century.
这使得消费主义在21世纪变得疯狂起来。
So what does she put our need for decluttering down to?
所以她把我们对清理的需求归因于什么?
Well, first she says that there has been a shift in our behaviour.
好吧,首先她说我们的行为发生了转变。
This is a way of saying that there has been a change in the way we behave.
这是说我们的行为方式有所改变的一种说法。
We used to make do and mend much more.
我们曾经更多会把东西修修补补将就用。
This phrase means that we made full use of what we had and if something broke, we tried to fix it.
这个短语的意思是我们充分利用了我们所拥有的东西,如果某件东西坏了,我们会试着修复它。
And these days, we seem to have more money and many goods have got cheaper, and we just like buying stuff – or as she says, consumerism has gone crazy.
而现在,我们似乎有更多的钱,而且一些商品变得更便宜,我们只是喜欢买东西——或者正如她所说,消费主义已经疯狂起来。
Let’s listen to her again.
我们再听她说一遍。
I think there's been a big shift really.
我认为真的有一个很大的转变。
So my generation, my parents, you know, definitely came from that 'make do and mend' era post war in the sort of 20th century.
所以,我这一代,我的父母,你知道,绝对来自20世纪战后那种修修补补将就用的时代。
And then all of a sudden people started to get a little bit more money.
然后突然之间人们开始有更多的钱。
Things became more affordable.
东西变得更加实惠。
You can buy five tops for five pounds each and people have done that.
你可以以每件五英镑的价格买五件上衣,而且人们已经那样做了。
And that's allowed the consumerism to kind of go crazy in the 21st century.
这使得消费主义在21世纪变得疯狂起来。
Time to tidy up today’s vocabulary, but first, let’s have the answer to the question.
是时候整理一下今天的词汇了,但首先让我们揭晓测试问题的答案。
Earlier I asked you: When were the first mechanical floor cleaners invented?
早些时候我问过你:第一台机械地板清洁机是什么时候发明的?
Was it in: A) the 1860s? B) the 1890s? Or C) the 1920s?
它是在:A)19世纪60年代?B)19世纪90年代?或者C)20世纪20年代?
And Neil, you said?
尼尔,你说是?
I guessed at the 1890s.
我猜是在19世纪90年代。
Sadly not! The correct answer is the 1860s.
很遗憾并不是!正确答案是19世纪60年代。
So, well done anyone who got that right.
所以如果答对了那做得很棒啊。
Now on with today’s vocabulary .
现在继续今天的词汇。
The first word we had was floordrobe.
我们的第一个词是“地板衣橱”。
Yes, this is a word to describe a pile of clothes that someone keeps on the floor rather than in a wardrobe.
是的,这个单词被用来形容某人堆在地板上而不是放在衣柜里的衣服。
Well I don’t have a floordrobe, but I do have a chairdrobe – I guess you can work out what that means!
好吧,我没有地板衣橱,但我确实有一个椅子衣橱——我想你能了解那指什么。
Anyway, it seems we both have too much clutter, which is the untidiness caused by having too many things.
无论如何,似乎我们都有太多杂乱的东西,那是说有太多东西而造成的不整洁。
And this leads us to the popular pastime of decluttering, which is throwing away things to make our homes neat and tidy.
这导致整理东西这种消遣在我们之中流行起来,那是指为了让我们的家整洁而扔东西。
Clutter, in my life, is an issue I haven’t tackled yet.
在我的生活中,杂乱是我尚未解决的一个问题。
I haven’t tried to fix it or sort it out.
我没有设法解决它或处理它。
One area that the experts say you need to tackle is sentimental things.
专家们说你需要解决的一个地方是引发怀旧之情的东西。
These are things which you have an emotional connection to – maybe old letters and photographs for example.
这些是你与情感有联系的东西——例如旧信件和照片。
We then looked at the word shift, which was a way of saying 'change'.
然后我们看到了单词“shift”,这是说“改变”的一种方式。
There has been a shift or a change in the way we think about things.
我们对事物的思考方式发生了变化或改变。
Yes, rather than an attitude of make do and mend, which means an attitude of 'being content with what you’ve got and fixing things if they break',
是的,而不是一种“修修补补将就用”的态度,那指的是“满足于你所拥有的东西,而且如果它们坏了的话就修理一下”,
we have become part of a consumerist culture where we like to buy more and more stuff.
我们已经成为消费主义文化的一部分,我们喜欢买越来越多的东西。
But we still find it hard to throw things away!
但是我们仍觉得很难把东西扔掉!
Yes, indeed, we do.
是的,确实,我们是那样。
Well it’s time for us to collect our scripts and declutter the studio.
好吧,是时候让我们收拾台本并整理演播室了。
We look forward to your company next time and until then you can find us in all the usual places online and on social media, just look for BBC Learning English.
我们期待你的下次参与,在那之前你可以在网上和社交媒体上的所有常见地方找到我们,只需查找BBC教学英语。
Bye for now.
再见了。
Bye-bye!
拜拜!