谦虚自夸
Humblebrag
Morning Feifei! Nice bike.
早上好,菲菲!这自行车真不错。
Thanks Rob, you know I always cycle to work.
谢谢,罗伯,你知道我一般骑自行车上班的。
And what a beautiful sports car!
多么炫酷的跑车呀!
Oh this old thing?
哦,这个旧家伙?
Hey, Feifei, mind if we take a quick selfie?
嘿,菲菲,要不要一起来个自拍?
What, me in my sweaty cycling gear and you leaning on your fancy…?
什么?我骑着油乎乎的自行车,你靠在昂贵的(跑车上)……?
Smile! Right! Let me just post that… out there
笑一个!好!我要发“朋友圈”……配上文字:
“I really respect my super healthy colleague Feifei cycling to work every day.
“我真佩服同事菲菲,她很注重健康,每天骑自行车上班。
It saves money and is so good for the environment!
这不仅省钱而且环保!
Much better than lazy little me driving this old car.”
而且比懒惰的我好多了,我每天要开着这个旧家伙上班!”
Oh hang on, let me see.
哦,等一下,让我看看。
You know, Rob, I’m not sure how I feel about this post.
你知道,罗伯,看着你这个“朋友圈”我不知道该怎么说。
I mean, it’s a bit of a humblebrag.
我的意思是,你这有点“humblebrag”呀。
A humblebrag?
“humblebrag”?
Sorry – I’ll just say it straight.
不好意思——我应该说得直白一点。
You make it look like you’re praising my cycling, but in fact you’re just drawing attention to your expensive car.
你这样说似乎是在夸我骑车,不过实际上你是想让大家注意你的昂贵跑车。
Hmm.
呃……
You look like you’re being humble, but in fact you’re bragging – showing off - about your car. It’s a humblebrag. False modesty.
你表面上很谦逊,但实际上是在炫耀——显摆——你的车。这就是“humblebrag”,谦虚自夸,虚伪的谦逊。
OK, I get it. You’re right. I suppose that is what I was doing.
好吧,我知道了。你说的对,我想我就是这个意思。
You’re not the only one.
你不是唯一一个这样的人。
It’s everywhere on social media and in the workplace these days. Check out these humblebrags:
如今社交媒体和工作场合都是这样的人,一起看看这些“谦虚自夸的人”吧。
I never thought I was very good at exams, so it’s a bit confusing that I got top of the class in all subjects again this year.
我从不知道自己竟然擅长考试,今年我又是班里的各科第一,真是让人困惑呀。
I somehow made it to the singing competition final this year. Think the judges need their ears testing!
不知怎的,今年我居然进了唱歌比赛的决赛,评委们应该去检查检查耳朵了!
And if you want to take your humblebragging to the next level, try hiding your brag inside a complaint.
如果你要更高水准的“谦虚显摆”,可以试试在抱怨中偷偷炫耀。
I’m exhausted because I’ve just received two promotions in three months. I need a holiday!
我真的要累死了,三个月之内我居然升了两次职,我该休假了!
Help! I can’t believe the cakes in first class aren’t sugar-free. I’ll be gaining so much weight.
天哪!头等舱里的蛋糕居然还有糖,难以置信!我肯定又要长胖了。
Some pretty impressive humblebrags there! But what exactly is the problem with it?
真是一些让人印象深刻的“谦虚地显摆”!不过这到底有什么问题吗?
Well, researchers in Harvard and the University of North Carolina have found that if you humblebrag, people like you less.
哈佛大学和北卡罗来纳大学的研究员发现,如果一个人“谦虚地显摆”,大家会不喜欢他的。
They say you’re better off just bragging.
他们认为还不如直接炫耀呢。
Just plain bragging?
直接炫耀?
Apparently so. Humblebragging makes you look less sincere.
当然。“谦虚地显摆”显得你没那么真诚。
Well, that makes sense. Best to say what I think. Let me change the caption… Right.
好吧,是有道理。最好把我想的说出来。那我换一换文字吧……对。
“I’m not going to lie, I absolutely love my new sports car. Feifei’s bike isn’t bad either.”
“我不想撒谎,我确实喜欢我的新跑车。不过菲菲的自行车也不错。”
That’ll do! Let me just comment… “Get some exercise!”
这样就好了!那我就评论一下……“多锻炼啊!”
Very funny. Bye bye!
太有意思了。拜拜~
Bye!
拜拜~