水没头顶 无法驾驭
Out of your depth
Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. I'm Feifei…
大家好,这里是BBC地道英语,我是菲菲……
…and hello, I'm Rob.
大家好,我是罗伯。
Feifei, why's your hair wet – it's not raining, is it?
菲菲,你头发怎么湿了——外面没有下雨吧,不是吗?
No, Rob. I've just been for my swimming lesson.
没下雨,罗伯。我是刚上了游泳课。
It was a bit scary, actually.
说实话,这课上的有点吓人。
Why's that?
怎么了?
Well, for the first time, I swam into the deep end and couldn't stand up.
好吧,我第一次游到深水区,但脚踩不到底。
The lifeguard had to jump in and save me.
最后救生员跳进泳池救了我。
Oh dear, Feifei. It sounds like you were out of your depth!
天哪,菲菲。听起来这就是“out of your depth”!
Yes, I suppose I was.
是的,我想也是水比我深。
Well, I'm out my depth too.
好吧,我现在也是“out my depth”。
What - you're learning to swim too?
是吗?你也去学游泳了吗?
No, no, I'm struggling to complete this project about statistics that the boss has asked me to do.
没有,我正烦着老板交给我的统计项目呢。
I know nothing about statistics and numbers – it's just too difficult and I just can't do it.
对于数据和数字方面,我什么都不懂——这真的太难了,我做不到。
So I am out of my depth.
所以说我也是无法胜任呀。
Ah, I've got it.
哦,我懂了。
When you are out of your depth, it can mean you are in a difficult situation that you cannot cope with – it could be because a task exceeds your knowledge or ability.
当你说“out of your depth”,意思就是你正处在一个无法处理的困难境地——可能是一项超出你知识或能力范围的任务。
So it's a bit like drowning in a situation – but not literally.
这就有点像被为某种状况烦恼——也不完全是这样。
Exactly. Let's hear some examples…
没错。一起来听几个例子吧……
I'm so out of my depth in this new job. I haven't got a clue what to do!
这份新工作我真的做不了。我连要做什么都没有一点头绪!
When everyone started talking about politics I knew I was out of my depth, so I politely made my excuses and went home.
只要有人谈论政治,我就知道自己什么都说不出来了。所以我会礼貌地道歉然后离开。
He was clearly out of his depth in the match – he lacked any skill and couldn't even pass the ball!
这项比赛已经明显超出他能力范围了——他没什么技巧,连传球都不会!
This is The English We Speak from BBC Learning English and we're talking about the phrase 'out of your depth'. It describes a situation that is too difficult for you, and you do not have the knowledge or ability to cope with it.
这里是BBC地道英语,我们正在讨论短语“out of your depth”的意思。这个短语指一个人因能力或知识有限,而无法处理的某种艰难状况。
Well, Rob, I may be able to save you!
好吧,罗伯,或许我可以帮你!
I love statistics and can help you out.
我喜欢数字,我可以帮你完成。
Oh that's great!
哦,太好了!
And I can help you improve your swimming.
我也可以你帮你练习游泳。
Oh yes? How can you do that?
是吗?你怎么能帮我?
You can borrow my armbands so you'll never sink, even in the deep end.
我可以借你我的救生臂环,这样就算你在深水区,也不会被淹了。
You'll never be out of your depth again!
你再也不会在游泳方面做不到了!
Thanks, but I think I should learn to swim properly.
谢谢,不过我觉得我应该学习正确的游泳方式。
Anyway, when do you need to complete this project for the boss by?
对了,你要什么时候完成项目交给老板?
Errr… now.
额……现在。
Oh. Come on then.
哦,别愣着了。
We had better go and get on with it, otherwise the boss will throw you in the deep end! Bye.
你最好过来赶紧做项目,不然老板会让你玩完的!拜~
Bye.
拜拜~