免费族
Freegan
Hello again. I'm Feifei and this is The English We Speak, and Rob's here too…
大家好!我是菲菲,这里是地道英语栏目,这是我的搭档罗布……
Yes I am. Hello. And I'm feeling a bit peckish.
大家好,我是罗布,我现在有点饿。
Peckish?
饿了?
You know, a little bit hungry.
你懂得,有点想吃东西。
Well when we've finished, you can go down to the canteen and buy yourself a bite to eat.
好吧,等节目结束了,你可以到餐厅买点东西吃。
What?
什么?
A bite to eat – a snack, a sandwich and a packet of crisps maybe.
A bite to eat——就是小吃,像三明治和薯片那种。
And can you get me something too please?
能给我也带点儿吗?
No I won't be doing that – not now that I'm a freegan.
不,我不要——我是免费一族。
That means I don't pay for food - I only eat what's free.
意思是我不花钱买食物,我只吃免费食品。
Right. So Rob, how do you get it – beg for it, steal it?
好吧,那么罗布你要怎么获取免费食物呢?乞讨?还是去偷?
Of course not, Feifei. I just eat food that's been wasted – maybe thrown away by supermarkets or restaurants.
当然不会了菲菲,我只吃被浪费掉的食物,可以是被超市或餐厅丢掉的东西。
You know, I hate seeing food being wasted.
你也知道,我讨厌浪费食物。
Me too. So a freegan eats food that has been wasted - maybe because it is out of date or too much has been made.
我也讨厌。所以免费族吃被浪费的食物——这些食物被丢掉的原因可能是过期或做得太多了。
Wow, Rob. This sounds like a good idea.
哇罗布,这个主意听起来不错。
Yes it is. Let's hear from some other freegans in these examples – which are also free!
对吧。我们来听几个其他免费族的例子,这也是免费的哦!
I'm trying to do my bit for the environment by reducing food that's thrown away – so I'm becoming a freegan.
我希望通过减少食物浪费为环境做点什么——所以我成了免费一族中的一员。
My brother was so annoyed when he saw loads of food dumped in a bin at the back of the supermarket that he decided to collect it and give it to the homeless –
我哥哥看到超市后面许多被丢弃的食物,他非常生气,他决定把这些食物收起来送给那些无家可归的人。
I suppose you could call him a freegan.
我觉得你可以称他为freegan。
Thrown away food isn't rubbish, it's free food! That's why I'm a freegan.
被丢弃的食物不是垃圾,是免费食物,这也是我成为freegan的原因。
This is The English We Speak from BBC Learning English.
这里是BBC地道英语栏目。
Rob is telling us about being a freegan – 'that's someone who only eats food that has been wasted or thrown away.
今天罗布为我们讲解了什么是freegan——即某个只吃被浪费或者被丢弃的食物的人。
And Feifei, freegans like me don't just eat free food, we give it to people who need it more than us.
还有啊菲菲,免费一族不是只吃免费的食物,我们还会将食物送给比我们更需要的人。
Rob, you've changed. Why are you being so responsible and charitable?
罗布,你变了,你怎么变得这么有责任心又善良呢?
I'm just a good person – oh and it's saved it me loads of money.
我就是这么好的人啊——哦,而且这样还能帮我省很多钱。
Oh I get it. You're not being a good person – you're just being tight!
哦,我懂了。你没有变成一个好人,你只是变得吝啬了!
Tight – you mean not generous? Honestly!
吝啬——你是说不太慷慨?太不像话了!
You're not a freegan – you are a freeloader.
你不是freegan,你是一个freeloader,
Someone who expects things for free without giving anything in return. Come on admit it Rob.
希望得到免费的东西而不给予任何回报。承认吧罗布。
Ermm, I'm just going to the canteen. What was it you wanted?
呃,我打算去餐厅了,你想捎带什么来着?
Oh and could you lend me some money to buy something please?
啊你能借我点钱买东西吗?
Bye Rob.
再见了罗布。
Bye bye.
再见。