一记耳光
A slap in the face
Welcome to The English We Speak with me, Rob.
欢迎和我一起来到今天的地道英语,我是罗布。
And me Feifei.
我是菲菲。
So how did your interview go?
你的面试进行得怎么样?
You know, quite good… ok… well not bad.
你知道的,非常好…好吧…还不错吧。
So did you get the promotion?
所以你升职了吗?
Well… no.
好吧…没有。
I didn't…
我没有…
it was a bit of a slap in the face actually.
实际上这有些像是一记耳光。
A slap in the face?
一记耳光?
Did they hit you?!
他们打你了?!
No, no, no.
不,不,不。
I mean not getting the job is a bit of an insult –
我的意思是没得到这份工作有些像是受到侮辱——
You know I was the right man for the job –
对于这份工作,我才是合适的人选,
look at all my qualifications and experience.
看看我全部的任职资格和工作经验。
Oh dear.
噢亲爱的。
You sound quite offended Rob.
你听上去有些被冒犯了呀,罗布。
That's what 'a slap in the face' means –
这就是“一记耳光”的含义,
it's an action that can be seen as an insult or cause offence.
就是可以被视为一种侮辱或是冒犯的行为。
It can also cause disappointment because you were expecting a more positive outcome.
它也可以让人失望,因为你本来期盼着一个更好的结果。
Like getting that promotion?
比如获得晋升?
Exactly.
完全正确。
Here are some more examples…
这里还有几个例子…
After all the extra work we put in,
在我们投入了所有的加班之后,
it was a slap in the face not to win the contract.
没有赢得这项合同对我们来说简直就是一记耳光。
Not being invited on his stag do, was a real slap in the face –
没有得到他的晚会邀请,对于我来说真的是一记耳光,
I thought I was his best friend!
我还以为我是他最好的朋友!
So 'a slap in the face' is an insult –
所以“一记耳光”是一种侮辱,
or an action that causes offence or disappointment.
或是冒犯他人的行为或引起他人失望的举动。
It's not actually a physical slap in the face?
并不是真的在脸上扇一耳光对吧?
That's right.
对。
So what are you going to do about getting a promotion?
那对于升职这件事,你打算怎么做呢?
Well to be honest, Feifei, it wasn't much of a promotion anyway –
说实话,菲菲,这其实并不是多大的晋升,
it was quite a boring job role and no more money –
这实在是个很无聊的工作岗位,工资也没有涨,
an idiot could have done it –
傻瓜才做呢,
I think you would have been good at it…
我觉得你就很适合这份工作…
…ow, what was that?
…哎呦,那是干嘛?
That’s a real slap in the face!
这是一记真正的耳光!
Was it something I said?
是不是我说了些什么不该说的话?