黑色旅游
Dark tourism
Welcome to 6 Minute English. I’m Rob.
欢迎大家来到6分钟英语。我是Rob。
And I'm Neil. Hello.
我是Neil。大家好。
Today we’re talking about an unusual type of tourism.
今天我们来讨论一种不寻常的旅游方式。
Tourism is the business of providing services such as transport, places to stay, or entertainment for people who are on holiday.
旅游是给有假期的人们提供比如交通、住宿或者娱乐的一种服务。
But instead of providing sunny holidays in a nice hotel by the sea –
但是与在阳光的假期里住在海边的旅店相比,
this is where tourists travel to sites of death, brutality and terror.
这里就是游客旅行去死亡、暴力和恐怖的地方。
It's being called 'dark tourism'.
被称之为“黑色旅游”。
Rob, have you ever been to any dark tourist destination – or place?
Rob,你曾经去过“黑色旅游”的目的地或者说地方吗?
Yes. I've visited Auschwitz in Poland – a fascinating trip to an obviously depressing place.
有的。我曾经去过波兰的奥斯威辛集中营--吸引人的旅行但显然让人沮丧的地方。
And next month I'm planning to go to Chernobyl – the site of a catastrophic nuclear accident in 1986.
下个月我计划去切尔诺贝利 --1986 年灾难性核事故的事发地。
So these are not your typical sightseeing trips but a visit to places that make you curious because of their significance – their importance – in history?
这些并不是你典型的观光旅行而是去一个让你感到好奇的地方由于它们在历史上的意义或重要性?
Exactly. We'll talk more about this soon but not before I set you today's question.
的确如此。我们接下来继续讨论但在这之前我问你一个问题。
Robben Island in South Africa is one dark tourism destination.
南非的罗本岛就是一个黑色旅游地。
It's where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for 18 years.
它是纳尔逊 · 曼德拉被关押的地方,曼德拉在那被关押了18年。
Do you know in which year it finally closed as a prison? Was it:
你知道这座监狱是哪一年关闭的吗?是:
a) 1991
a) 1991年
b) 1996
b) 1996 年
c) 1999
c) 1999 年
I don't know but I'm going to guess a) 1991
我不清楚,我猜是a)1991年。
because I think he was released in 1989 and surely they would have shut it down pretty quickly after that.
因为曼德拉是1989年被释放出来的,当然他们会在曼德拉释放后很快关闭它。
I'll reveal the answer later.
一会我会揭晓答案。
So let’s talk more about 'dark tourism'.
现在让我们继续讨论“黑色旅游”。
The word 'dark' is used here because it relates to places that are connected with bad or sinister things or things that could be considered morally wrong.
“dark”这个词用在这里是因为这些地方通常和不好或阴险的事情联系起来或者是不道德的东西。
It's strange to want to visit places like these.
想参观这些地方真是奇怪。
There is what we call a morbid fascination –
这我们称之为“病态的迷恋”--
that's showing an interest in things connected with death and destruction. And these kinds of trips are on the increase.
对和死亡还有毁灭的东西有兴趣。这些类型的旅游人数正在增加。
Yes, there are organised tours to places like Ground Zero in New York,
是的。有旅游团到比如纽约世贸中心遗址,
the killing fields in Cambodia and the nuclear power station in Chernobyl.
柬埔寨的杀戮场,切尔诺贝利核电站。
And there are the battlefields of World War I and II – and the top security prison of Alcatraz.
还有一战和二战中的战场和恶魔岛的最高安全监狱。
There are also plans to turn the disaster site of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in Japan into a tourist destination –
还计划把日本福岛核电站的灾难站点变成一个旅游目的地--
once the radiation is reduced.
当辐射降低的时候。
But why do people want to visit these macabre sites?
但为什么人们想要到这些可怕的地方去旅游呢?
Well I mentioned curiosity and a chance to learn about history –
我之前提到过好奇心和学习历史的机会--
but sometimes people just feel compelled to visit them.
但有时候人们只是觉得有必要去参观一下。
But what about the ethics of dark tourism – is it wrong to make this trip?
但黑色旅游的道德观呢--做这样的旅行是错误的吗?
Are we not just exploiting – making money or cashing in on someone's suffering?
我们能不能不要利用别人的痛苦来赚钱?
Doctor Phillip Stone is an expert in this subject.
Phillip Stone博士是这方面的专家。
He's director of the Institute for Dark Tourism Research.
他是黑色旅游研究所主任。
He says this type of tourism isn't new – people have been visiting these types of places for years.
他说这种类型的旅游并不鲜见--最近几年人们一直参观这种类型的地方。
He says it's always been there…
他说着一直存在的...
It's not new in the sense that we are fascinated by other death and people's suffering.
我们被他人的死亡和痛苦所吸引并不是新的感觉。
But it's how it's packaged up by the tourist industry.
但这是打包的旅游业。
So he says dark tourism isn't new.
所以他说黑色旅游并不是新出现的。
In fact a medieval execution was an early form of dark tourism.
实际上中世纪的死刑是黑色旅游的一种早期形式。
Maybe it's just human nature that draws us to these places?
或许只是人性让我们去的这里?
Doctor Stone says it's all about how these dark trips are packaged.
Stone博士说这都是如何包装这些黑色旅游。
So it depends how they are sold and how tasteful they are – are they sensitive to the horrors of what has taken place?
所以这取决于它们是如何被售卖及怎样才合适--他们对发生的恐怖事情敏感吗?
Yes, being able to walk around a historic site or visit a museum is one thing
是的。在沿着历史遗迹附近步行或参观博物馆是一件事
but how about staying in a former prison in Latvia and paying to be treated like a prisoner?
但呆在拉脱维亚的前监狱,并花钱像囚犯一样被对待呢?
Or how about crawling around Vietnamese war tunnels whilst people fire guns outside?
又或者在越南战争隧道里爬来爬去同时外面人们机枪守卫?
Maybe that is taking the experience too far.
或许这种体验太遥远了。
Doctor Stone says there is a "blurred line between memorialisation and tourism".
Stone博士说“在纪念和旅游之间的界限模糊”。
He means it is hard to separate going to remember an event
他的意思是很难去区分纪念一个事件
and the people who've died with visiting somewhere as part of a holiday.
和作为节日的一部分参观已经死去的人们。
Another issue when visiting these places is how you remember your visit – you must be respectful - perhaps taking photos, yes, but should you take a 'selfie'?
另一个就是当参观这些地方的时候你如何纪念你的参观之旅--一定要充满尊敬--或许还要拍照,是的,但是你能照自拍照吗?
And should you buy a souvenir or send a postcard home?
你是买纪念品还是寄明信片回家呢?
Well you certainly wouldn't write on your postcard 'wish you were here'.
好吧,你肯定不能在明信片上写“真希望你在这里”。
Anyway, let's now reveal the answer to the question I set you earlier.
不管怎样,现在让我们揭晓之前我问你问题的答案。
Yes, this was about the former prison on Robben Island which is now a popular destination for dark tourism.
好的,这个问题跟罗本岛的之前的监狱有关,现在已经作为黑色旅游的著名目的地了。
I asked you when it finally closed as a prison. Was it in:
我问你的是它是那一年关闭的。是:
a) 1991
a) 1991 年
b) 1996
b) 1996年
c) 1999
c) 1999年
I said 1991.
我选的是1991年。
And you were wrong actually.
实际上你错了。
It was in 1996.
是1996年。
About 350,000 people now visit the site every year – which shows how much interest there is in a place that you would have once never wanted to go near.
每年大约有350,000人来参观。这说明有多少人对这种地方感兴趣而你却从来不想接近。
Is it somewhere you would like to visit Neil?
你有什么想去的地方吗,Neil?
I'm not sure about dark tourism to be honest.
老实说对黑色旅游我还不确定。
Ok, Neil, could you remind us of some of the vocabulary we’ve heard today?
好吧,Neil,你能提醒下大家今天我们听到的一些词语吗?
Yes, we heard: tourism ;depressing ;catastrophic
好的,我们听到了tourism--旅游 ;depressing--令人沮丧的 ;catastrophic--悲惨的
Curious;morally wrong;morbid fascination
Curious--好奇的;morally wrong--不道德的;morbid fascination --病态的着迷
Macabre;compelled;ethics;exploiting
Macabre--可怕的;compelled--被迫的;ethics--道德;exploiting --开发,利用
human nature;tasteful;memorialisation;respectful
human nature--人性;tasteful--对合适的东西做出良好的判断;memorialisation--纪念;respectful--尊敬的
Thanks. We hope you’ve enjoyed today’s programme.
谢谢。希望大家可以喜欢今天的节目。
Please join us again soon for 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English.
请再次加入BBC6分钟英语。
Bye.
拜~