脱身,脱离困境
Off the hook
Hello, Feifei.
你好,菲菲。
Already here, I see, to present The English We Speak.
已经来啦,我知道,是要做地道英语节目吧。
Actually, I haven't left the studio for a while, Neil.
事实上,我已经有一会儿没离开过演播室了,尼尔。
I need to go and eat something.
我需要出去,再吃点东西。
Could you let me off the hook please?
你能让我脱身吗?拜托了。
Come on, Feifei, you have to present the programme with me.
得了吧,菲菲,你必须和我一起做节目。
And today's expression is…
今天要讲的习语是…
I need to go to the toilet.
我需要去卫生间。
Could you let me off the hook?
你能让我脱身吗?
In English, to let someone off the hook means to free them from an obligation.
在英语里,让某人脱身的意思就是使他们摆脱某种职责。
You want to be let off the hook, don't you?
你想脱身走掉,对吧?
You don't want to present the programme today.
你今天不想做节目了。
It can also mean to release someone from a difficult situation.
它也能指把某人从困境中解放出来。
I do need you to let me off the hook.
我确实需要你让我脱离困境。
Let's hear some examples of how the expression 'to let someone off the hook' is used.
让我们听几个例子,看看“让某人脱离困境”这种说法是怎么用的。
I haven't studied much but my teacher let me off the hook today.
我还没有学太多,但我老师今天放了我一马。
She's decided to postpone the test as long as I hit the books this week.
她决定只要这周我用功学习,就将考试延期。
The team's supporters didn't let them off the hook.
这一队的支持者不肯放过他们。
They booed the players out of the pitch after they were beaten 4-nil.
在他们被4比0打败之后,支持者在场外向队员们喝倒彩。
That's it then Feifei.
那么就是这样啦。
You're off the hook now.
你现在脱身了。
No, I'm not.
不,我没有。
Why not?
为什么没有?
My woollen jumper is caught on this hook on the wall just behind me
我的羊毛针织套衫被我身后墙上的挂钩挂住了,
and if I move I'll ruin it.
如果我动的话,我的衣服就毁了。
Could you…
你能…
Yeah!
嗯!
Why didn't you say?
你刚为什么不说呢?
Let me help you.
让我来帮你。
Oh be careful.
噢小心点。
I don't want it ripped!
我不想撕坏它。
I am being careful here… ah… yep,
我很小心了…啊…嗯,
there you go now you're free.
这样,现在你自由了。
You're off the hook in every sense!
从各种意义上来说,你都脱身了!
Thanks, Neil.
谢谢你,尼尔。
Bye!
再见!