我们应该有多大的创造力?
How creative should we be?
Hello. Welcome to 6 Minute English, I'm Neil.
大家好。欢迎来到六分钟英语,我是尼尔。
And hello, I'm Rob.
大家好,我是罗伯。
Now Rob, how creative are you?
罗伯,你有多大创造力?
Very creative, I think.
我觉得非常有创造力。
Creativity is in my bones!
创造力就刻在我的骨子里!
Look at this wonderful script that I wrote and we're presenting right now.
看看我写的这个精彩的台本,而且我们现在正把它呈现给大家。
You are what we could call 'a creative' – a noun which means someone with a lot of imagination and ideas.
你是能被我们称为创作者的人——一个名词,指的是某个有众多想象力和创意的人。
In our job we have create or make content that teaches English creatively.
在我们的工作中,我们创建或者准备能创造性教授英语的内容。
Creativity is becoming more important for everyone.
创造力对每个人来说变得愈加重要。
The World Economic Forum forecasts that by 2020, creativity will be in the top three most important skills for future jobs.
世界经济论坛预测到2020年,创造力将会是未来工作的三大重要技能之一。
This is particularly relevant for younger people who will be entering the world of work soon.
对较年轻的人来说,这与他们尤为相关,他们很快将会进入职场。
And that's what we'll be discussing today.
而且那是我们今天将要讨论的。
But before we do, Neil, have you created a question for us to answer?
但是在我们讨论之前,尼尔,你准备问题让大家回答了吗?
Yes, and it's about the very creative artist Banksy.
是的,它是关于极具创造力的艺术家班克西的。
He created a well-known piece of artwork that has been in the news recently,
他创作出一幅最近一直在新闻报道中出现的知名艺术品。
but do you know what it is called?
但是你知道它叫什么吗?
Is it… a) Girl with Balloon b) Girl with Red Balloon or c) Balloon Girl?
是a) 手持气球的女孩 b) 手持红气球的女孩 还是c) 气球女孩?
I can see the picture in my head, so I think it's c) Balloon Girl.
我可以在头脑中看到那幅画,所以我觉得是c) 气球女孩。
OK, and we'll find out the answer later.
好的,稍后我们将找出答案。
But now back to our discussion about creativity.
但是现在让我们回到关于创造力的讨论。
Experts say that students need to focus more on creativity to help them get a job.
专家称学生需要更多关注创造力来帮助自己获得一份工作。
That's perhaps surprising in the UK, when some of our creative industries – that's businesses that make music, art and TV for example – are world famous.
在我们一些创意产业闻名世界之际,那或许另人吃惊,创意产业指的是比如创作音乐,创作艺术,创作电视节目这类产业。
We are creative people, Rob!
我们是有创造力的人,罗伯!
Of course, but there's not such a focus on being creative in education now.
当然,但是现在教育方面没有那么专注于创造力。
And that might have an effect in the future.
而且那对未来或许有所影响。
It's something Bernadette Duffy, an early years consultant, has been discussing on BBC Radio 4's Bringing up Britain programme.
那是早期教育顾问博纳戴特•达菲在BBC广播4频道Bringing up Britain节目里一直谈到的。
What does she say we have been focussing too much on in schools?
对于我们在校内关注得太多,她说了什么?
We focus on the things that are legitimately important, but we teach them in a way that makes them easier to measure.
我们关注于合理重要的事情,但是我们教授学生在某种程度上使他们更易被衡量。
I think we need to redress the balance that puts the focus purely on gaining the skills and far far more on actually using them in a creative way,
我认为我们需要更加公平的处理,不光是专注于获得技能,实际上更要多多关注于以一种创造性方式使用它们,
because that's what's going to make a difference for the future.
因为那是将会对未来有所影响的东西。
So Bernadette feels we teach skills in a way that can be easily measured and tested.
所以博纳戴特感觉我们教授技能在某种程度上来说很容易被衡量和检测。
She says we teach these skills legitimately, which here means fairly and reasonably.
她说我们公平合理地教授这些技能,在这里那指的是公平地,合理地。
But she feels we don't teach a creative approach to learning skills.
但是她觉得我们没有用一种创造性的方法教授人们学习技能。
So we mean things like problem solving, I guess, even tasks like data inputting and preparing spreadsheets can be approached creatively.
所以我们指的是,像解决问题,我猜甚至像是数据输入,准备电子表格这样的任务都可以创造性地完成。
In any job, it's sometimes good to 'think outside the box' or find new ways of doing things.
在任何工作中,“跳出框架思考”或者寻找新的解决方法有时候是件好事。
Bernadette thinks we should move away from just learning skills and start using these skills creatively.
博纳戴特认为我们应该远离仅仅是为了学习技能这种模式,应该开始创造性地使用这些技能。
She used the expression 'redress the balance' which means 'change things to make them fairer and more equal'.
她使用了“redress the balance”这个表达,指的是改变事物使其更公正,更平等。
Well, here at the BBC we have to be creative.
好吧,在BBC这里我们必须保持创造力。
In fact one of our values states that 'creativity is the lifeblood of our organisation'.
事实上我们的价值观之一就是“创造力是我们机构的命脉”。
Lifeblood' here means 'the most important thing to make something a success'.
“Lifeblood”在这里指的是使某事成功的最重要因素。
Rob, I can see creativity is in your blood.
罗伯,我可以看到你与生俱来的创造力。
But on an everyday level how can we all improve our creativity, be more like you?
但是在日常生活中,怎样才能提高我们大家的创造力,能多像你一点?
Well, Neil, I'm no expert, but Innovation Manager, Nick Skillicorn is.
好的,尼尔,我不是专家,但是创新经理尼克•斯基利康是。
He's also been speaking to the BBC and explaining what we can do to help ourselves.
他同样一直在BBC谈论这个话题,并解释我们能做些什么来帮助自己。
What does he suggest?
他有什么建议?
On a daily basis, everyone should take fifteen minutes of what I call unfocussed time
每个人每天都应该有十五分钟不需要专注的时间,我把它叫做不需要专注的时间
– time that they're not looking at any screen, time that they can essentially get back into their own head,
——人们不看任何屏幕的时间,人们本质上放松大脑的时间,
slow down a bit, and start forming these new connections between disparate ideas that result in divergent new original ideas.
放慢脚步,并开始在互不相关的灵感之间建立这些新联系,产生不同的新创意。
So we need free time to collect all our different thoughts in our head
所以我们需要空闲时间将自己所有的不同想法集中到头脑中,
– what Nick calls disparate ideas to create new and amazing ideas.
尼克把其称为产生新奇创意的不同灵感。
Disparate ideas are very different ideas, all unrelated.
迥然不同的创意是非常不同的创意,全不相关。
And we need what we might call headspace – that's when your mind is in a good state and you can think clearly.
而且我们需要,那或许被我们叫做头脑清明的状态,那是你大脑状态良好,自己可以清楚思考的时候。
For me, I have headspace when I'm lying in the bath or out riding my bike, there are no interruptions.
对我来说,当我躺在浴缸里或者在外面骑自行车时,我会头脑清明,不受干扰。
Well, you certainly don't get your ideas sitting at a desk, focussing on one task.
好吧,坐在桌旁,专注一个任务,你当然不会有创意。
We all need some downtime to get creative.
我们都需要一些自由支配的时间让自己变得有创造力。
But children going into school now will grow up to do a job that doesn't yet exist.
但是现在入校的孩子长大后将会做的工作还不存在。
And faced with the challenges of AI, automation, green issues and an ageing population, creativity and imagination will be vital.
而且面对人工智能,自动化,环境保护以及人口老龄化的挑战,创造力和想象力将会至关重要。
Right, well, let's get back to talking about the creativity of Banksy now.
好的,现在让我们回到对班克西创造力的讨论。
Ah, yes, because earlier I asked you which one of his well-known pieces of artwork has been in the news recently.
啊,是呀,因为早些时候我问你哪一个是他最近一直在新闻报道中出现的那幅知名艺术品。
Is it… a) Girl with Balloon b) Girl with Red Balloon or c) Balloon Girl?
是a) 手持气球的女孩 b) 手持红气球的女孩 还是c) 气球女孩?
And I said c) Balloon Girl.
我说是c)气球女孩。
I know it was a girl and a balloon.
我知道那上面有一个女孩,一个气球。
Not quite right, Rob. The artwork is titled 'Girl with Balloon.'
不是完全正确,罗伯。那个艺术品的标题是《手持气球的女孩》。
This was recently auctioned in London but amazingly shredded in its frame as someone's winning bid was accepted!
这幅画最近在伦敦拍卖,但是令人惊讶的是当某人竞标成功时,这幅画作被画框里的碎纸机撕碎。
Wow, that's a very creative way to destroy a picture!
哇,那是一种非常有创造力的破坏画作的方式!
I will do the same with this script soon but not before we have recapped some of today's vocabulary.
我一会儿也会对台本做出同样的事情,但是不是在我们回顾今天的单词之前。
Starting with 'a creative'.
从“a creative”开始。
That's a person whose job is to use a lot of imagination and come up with new ideas,
那个人的工作是使用大量的想象力并想出新创意,
such as someone who works in the media or advertising.
像是从事媒体工作或广告行业的人。
Then we mentioned 'legitimately', which describes doing something fairly and reasonably.
然后我们提到了“legitimately”,描述的是公正合理地做某事。
Next we heard the expression 'redress the balance'.
接下来我们听到了“redress the balance”这个表达。
This means to make things fairer and more equal.
这指的是使事情更公正,更平等。
We also talked about creativity being the lifeblood of the BBC.
我们同样谈到创造力是BBC的命脉。
Lifeblood' here means the most important thing to make something a success.
“Lifeblood”在这里指的是某事成功的最重要因素。
And I know creativity is running through your veins, Rob!
而且我知道你浑身都是创造力。
Thanks, Neil.
谢谢,尼尔。
We also heard the word 'disparate', meaning very different and unrelated.
我们同样听到了“disparate”,指的是非常不同,不相关。
And we talked about 'headspace', which is when your mind is in a good state and you can think clearly.
而且我们谈了“headspace”,指的是当你大脑状态良好,自己可以清楚思考的时候。
Before we head off to find some headspace, don't forget to visit our website at bbclearningenglish.com for more great learning English content.
在我们离开去让自己头脑清明一些之前,不要忘记访问我们的网址bbclearningenglish.com去查找更多不错的英语学习内容。
That’s all we have time for now, do join us again though.
现在就到了节目最后的时间了,一定要再次加入我们啊。
Goodbye.
再见。
Bye bye!
拜拜!