什么是邋遢风?
What is scumbro?
Hello. And welcome to 6 Minute English, I'm Catherine.
大家好。欢迎来到六分钟英语,我是凯瑟琳。
And hello, I'm Rob.
大家好,我是罗伯。
Now Rob, do you ever buy things at a charity shop?
罗伯,你曾经在慈善商店买过东西吗?
Yes, I do. They are a great place to pick up a bargain and I also donate items to charity shops too.
是的,我买过。它们是一个能买到便宜货的好地方,而且我也同样捐赠物品给慈善商店。
And a charity shop, by the way, is a shop where people take their unwanted items and then the shop sells them and makes money and the money goes to charity.
顺便提一句,慈善商店是一个商店,在那里人们拿来他们不想要的东西,然后商店把它们卖掉赚钱,钱给慈善机构。
Exactly, that's good to hear, Rob.
确实是,听起来不错,罗伯。
Because donating – that's giving money or goods to an organisation – helps charities raise money.
因为捐赠,也就是给慈善组织钱或者物品,能帮助慈善机构筹款。
And you might be interested to know that dressing up in second-hand clothes is back in fashion, well sort of.
你或许有兴趣知道穿二手服装又流行起来了,好吧,多多少少是这样的。
And that's what we're discussing today.
而且那是我们今天要讨论的。
Is looking like you're dressing in charity shop clothes a new fashion statement?
自己看起来像是穿着慈善商店的衣服是一种新的时尚宣言吗?
It should be interesting.
那应该很有趣。
But first, Catherine, aren't you going to set me a question to answer?
但是首先,凯瑟琳,你不是要设置一个问题让我回答吗?
And not a second-hand one, please!
而且拜托不要是一个问过的问题!
It's a brand new question today, Rob, for you and the listeners at home.
对你和在家的听众来说,今天是一个全新的问题,罗伯。
Do you know when the first official charity shop opened its doors in the UK?
你知道第一家官方慈善商店什么时候在英国开张的吗?
Was it in… a) 1928 b) 1948, or c) 1968?
是a) 1928年 b) 1948年,还是 c) 1968年?
I'll go for 1948.
我会选1948年。
OK, and we'll find out the answer later.
好的,稍后我们将会找出答案。
But now back to our discussion about charity shops and fashion.
但是现在回到我们对慈善商店和时尚的讨论吧。
And there's a new look in town, which some people are calling 'scumbro'.
城市中有了一番新穿着,一些人把它叫做邋遢风。
Scumbro' combines the word 'scummy' which means 'dirty and messy' with the word 'bro', which is an informal way of referring to a boy or man.
“Scumbro”将意思为“脏乱”的“scummy”和指代男孩或者男性的非正式单词“bro”合在一起。
So scumbro is a fashion for men, but women can adopt it too.
所以邋遢风是男性的一种时尚,但是女性也可以穿这种风格。
It's a bit of an insulting name and here's the odd thing about this new fashion style:
它是一个略显无礼的名字,而这里是这种新的时尚风格的古怪之处:
being scumbro is about buying expensive designer brands that look like they are from a charity shop.
邋遢风指的是买那些看起来像是从慈善商店买来的高价设计师品牌。
Very odd!
非常奇怪!
Well, it's something Amber Graafland knows about.
好吧,它是安玻尔•格拉夫兰德所知道的。
She is the Fashion & Beauty Director for the Daily Mirror newspaper and she's been telling BBC Radio 4's You and Yours programme all about it.
她是《每日镜报》的时尚与美容总监,而且在BBC广播4频道You and Yours节目里她一直在谈它。
So, how did this trend start?
所以,这个潮流是如何开始的?
Well, I think the name came from a Vanity Fair article.
好吧,我认为这个名字来自《名利场》里的文章。
And I think Justin Bieber, the likes of Jonah Hill, to thank for this look.
而且我觉得贾斯汀•比伯,乔纳•希尔要多亏了这种着装。
And Pete Davidson, who's actually the fiance of Ariana Grande, he's definitely one of the founding fathers of scumbro.
彼得•戴维森事实上是安丽安娜•格兰德的未婚夫,他绝对是邋遢风的开创者之一。
And I think, like most of these trends, they're started by celebrities and then, I mean look, it's been picked up by everybody by the sound of things.
而且我觉得像大多数这些潮流,它们都是从名人开始,然后,我是说看看周围,听说每个人也都已经穿上了。
OK, so the fashion magazine Vanity Fair invented the name, but the trend has spread because celebrities have been dressing in this style.
好的,所以时尚杂志《名利场》创造出这个名字,但是这个潮流传播开来是因为名人们在穿这种风格。
Yes, and Amber mentioned a number of celebrities who are the founding fathers of the trend
是的,而且安玻尔提到了很多这个潮流开创名人的名字,
– that's a term used to describe people who start an idea or an organisation.
那个词语是用来形容开创一个理念或者组织的人。
Yes, the trend has been picked up or copied by people who you might describe as fashion victims – people who have to follow the latest fashion trends.
是的,那些可能被你形容为时尚牺牲品的人追求或者效仿这种潮流,时尚牺牲品是说一定会追求最新时尚潮流的人。
Well, Rob, I'm no fashion victim.
好吧,罗伯,我不是时尚牺牲品。
But I say, maybe, one day, I might want to look scumbro or maybe scumsis!
但是我要说的是,或许某一天,我或许会想要看起来是邋遢风,或者女性邋遢风。
So how exactly should I dress?
所以我究竟应该怎么穿搭呢?
OK, well, let's hear from Amber Graafland again.
好吧,让我们再听一下安玻尔•格拉夫兰德是怎么说的。
How does she describe the characteristics of this fashion trend?
她是如何形容这种时尚潮流的特征?
It's all about wearing these oversized clothes that are overpriced. And I think it's not just about looking like you've rummaged in a teenager's dressing up box.
那全是说穿这些价格过高的超大号服装。而且我觉得它不仅仅是让你看起来好像是在青少年的衣柜里翻找的衣服。
These are very, very expensive items.
这些是非常非常昂贵的东西。
You mentioned the labels Prada, Versace, Gucci, Supreme.
你提到的品牌有普拉达,范思哲,古驰,supreme。
While it's basically about looking simultaneously like you've made no effort, but the underlying thing is you do need to see the effort has gone in there.
尽管它大体上看起来是你没有付出任何精力,但同时隐含的事情是你确实需要看到达到那种效果所付出的精力。
Wow, this fashion trend does involve a lot of effort!
哇,这个时尚潮流确实涉及很多精力!
It's not just about looking messy, like you've rummaged in a teenager's dressing up box.
它不仅仅看起来乱,就好像你在青少年的衣柜里翻找出衣服。
Rummaging' is when you search for something that's mixed up with lots of other things.
“Rummaging”是指你在搜寻某个东西,而其中掺杂许多其它东西。
No, don't be rummaging!
不,别翻找了。
The trick seems to be to look like you've not made any effort but at the same time, you're show you have made an effort!
诀窍是看起来像是你没有付出任何精力,但是同时,你表明你付出了精力!
And that's the meaning of the word 'simultaneously' – doing one thing at the same time as another thing.
而且那是“同时地”的含义——做一件事情的同时也在做另一件事情。
And I guess by showing you've made an effort, you wear designer labels, showing you've paid lots of money.
而且我猜表明你付出了精力,你要穿设计师品牌,表明你花了很多钱。
The issue here is clothes from charity shops are supposed to be cheap.
这里的问题是慈善商店里的衣服应该是便宜的。
Some people even buy these clothes because it is all they can afford.
一些人买这些服装甚至是因为那是他们所能负担得起的。
But the irony here is some people are choosing to pay lots and lots of money to look like they're wearing second-hand clothes.
但是讽刺的是,一些人选择花费很多很多的钱让自己看起来像是在穿二手服装。
And the charity shops aren't making any money from it.
而且慈善商店不从它们身上挣钱。
Well, if you're a fashion victim, it's something you have to do.
好吧,如果你是时尚牺牲品,它是你肯定会做的事情。
And there's one thing I have to do now and that's give you the answer to today's quiz question.
而且现在有一件事我必须要去做,那就是告知你今天测试问题的答案。
So I asked you earlier when the first official charity shop opened its doors in the UK?
所以早些时候我问你第一家官方慈善商店什么时候在英国开张的?
And I said 1948.
我说是1948年。
And you are correct this week, Rob, well done!
这周你答对了,罗伯,做得好!
The very first shop, run by the charity Oxfam, opened its doors in Oxford in 1948, as a direct result of an appeal launched to help post-war Greece.
第一家慈善商店是乐施会慈善机构组织的,1948年在牛津开张,呼吁人们帮助战后希腊的直接结果。
Very interesting.
非常有趣。
Right, let's remind ourselves of some of today's vocabulary, starting with the word donating
现在,让我们提醒一下自己一些单词,从“donating”开始,
which means 'giving goods or money to an organisation or charity'.
指的是“给慈善组织钱或者物品”。
Then we mentioned 'founding fathers' - a term used to describe people who start an idea or an organisation.
然后我们提到了“founding fathers”——用来形容开创一个理念或者组织的人。
We also mentioned that Catherine was no fashion victim – a person who has to follow the latest fashion trends.
我们同样提到了凯瑟琳并不是一个时尚牺牲品——一个肯定会追求最新时尚潮流的人。
Rummaging' was a word that described searching for something that's mixed up with lots of other things.
“Rummaging”这个词形容的是寻找掺杂在许多其它事物之中的某物。
And then we had 'simultaneously' which means 'doing one thing at the same time as doing something else'.
然后我们学了“simultaneously”,指的是做一件事的同时也在做另一件事情。
Well you can simultaneously listen to this programme and look at our website if you like.
好的,如果你喜欢的话,你可以在收听这个节目的同时查找我们的网站。
The web address is bbclearningenglish.com.
网站地址是bbclearningenglish.com。
But that’s all we have time for now.
但是现在是节目结束的时候了。
Join us again next time.
下次再加入我们。
Goodbye.
再见。
Bye bye!
拜拜!