守时重要吗?
Is punctuality important?
Hello. This is 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English. I'm Neil.
大家好。这里是BBC教学英语的《六分钟英语》节目。我是尼尔。
And I'm Catherine.
我是凯瑟琳。
Thanks for making it on time today, Catherine!
谢谢你今天准时到,凯瑟琳!
What do you mean, Neil?
你什么意思,尼尔?
Are you implying I'm always late?
你是在暗示我总是迟到吗?
Well, punctuality – I mean being on time – is not your strong point.
嗯,守时——我的意思是准时——不是你的强项。
But I do always turn up and I never miss the programme.
但我总会出现,我从没错过《六分钟英语》节目。
I just don't want to be early Neil and then wait around for you!
尼尔,我只是不想早到,然后等着你!
Hmm – people's attitude to being on time certainly varies,
嗯,人们对守时的态度肯定各不相同,
and that's what we're discussing in this programme:
那就是我们今天节目要讨论的问题:
how important is punctuality?
守时有多重要?
Anyway, Catherine, as you're here on time, you're not going to miss our quiz question!
不管怎样,凯瑟琳,因为你准时到了,所以你不会错过我们的测试问题!
Oh no, I certainly don't want to miss out on that.
哦,不,我当然不想错过测试问题。
So what is it?
所以测试问题是什么呢?
Well in 2011, researchers said that an atomic clock at the UK's National Physical Laboratory would have the best long-term accuracy of any in the world.
2011年,研究人员称,英国国家物理实验室的原子钟具有世界上最佳的长期精度。
But how many years would it take, approximately, for it to lose or gain a second?
但是,它快一秒钟或者慢一秒钟大约需要多少年呢?
Is it... a) 138 years, b) 138,000 years, or c) 138 million years?
是a)138年,b)13.8万年,还是c)1.38亿年?
Umm well now, atomic clocks are very accurate,
呃,原子钟非常精确,
but 138 million years is a bit extreme, so I'll say b) 138,000 years.
但是1.38亿年有点极端了,所以我选b) 13.8万年。
OK, Catherine, we'll find out the answer before the end of the programme - which has to be six minutes long!
好的,凯瑟琳,在节目结束前我们将会揭晓答案,这个节目有六分钟长!
So, let's talk more about people's timekeeping – that's their ability to do things on time.
那么,让我们来谈谈人们的守时能力,也就是他们按时做事的能力。
Now, I know Neil doesn't like to be late – he thinks it's rude.
我知道尼尔不喜欢迟到,他认为迟到很不礼貌。
But I might be late because the traffic was bad, or I had extra things to do.
但我可能会迟到,因为交通不畅,或者我有额外的事情要做。
And I know most appointments we make start late!
而且我知道我们大多数约会都很晚才开始!
Well, Catherine, it sounds like you might be a time bender.
好吧,凯瑟琳,听起来你是个总迟到的人。
It's something author Grace Pacie talked about on BBC Woman's Hour programme.
这是作家格蕾丝·帕希在BBC《女性时间》节目中谈到的。
Let's hear her definition of a time bender.
让我们来听听她对总迟到的人的定义。
Well Jenny, a time bender is actually somebody we all know very well.
珍妮,总迟到的人其实是我们都很了解的人。
They are the people who arrive last at any meeting or class,
他们是任何会议或课堂上最后到达的人,
or the mums whose children have to run into school at the last minute.
或者是让孩子不得不在最后一刻赶到学校的妈妈们。
They're the people who don't want to be late,
他们不想迟到,
but they have a strange resistance to being early like you,
但他们对早到有一种奇怪的抗拒,就像你一样,
and they don't allow enough time.
而且他们不会留出足够的时间。
OK, so I might be a time bender – someone who doesn't allow enough time to get somewhere.
好吧,所以我可能是一个总迟到的人——一个不会留有足够时间的人。
But, of course, I always think I will have enough time!
但当然,我总认为我会有足够的时间!
One thing that is guaranteed is you'll never be early.
有一件事是可以保证的,那就是你永远不会早到。
You have a resistance to – you fight against or are opposed to - being on time.
你对准时有一种抵抗——对抗或反对。
Isn't it best to leave home just a little bit earlier?
早点出门不是更好吗?
Well, Neil, it's about deadlines – you know, a fixed time when something must be completed by.
好吧,尼尔,它是关于最后期限的,你知道的,在固定时间内,某件事必须被完成。
If a deadline really matters, I'll make it,
如果最后期限真的很重要,我会按时完成的,
but for less important things, it's not worth getting too stressed.
但没那么重要的事情并不值得太紧张。
Umm if you say so, Catherine.
呃,如果你这么说的话,凯瑟琳。
Being late makes me anxious, which is why I always arrive early.
迟到使我焦虑,那就是为什么我总是早到的原因。
But therapist Philippa Perry might be able to explain your more relaxed attitude to timekeeping.
但是治疗师菲利帕·佩里也许能解释你对守时所持的更放松的态度。
She also spoke about this on the BBC's Woman's Hour programme.
她还在BBC《女性时间》节目中谈到了这一点。
See if you can hear what her reasons are.
看看你能不能理解她的理由。
Underlying it all, there is this fear of being early, and the fear could be a fear of being conspicuous,
潜在的原因是害怕早到,害怕引人注意,
a fear of standing out in a strange place, having no one to talk to, feeling a bit alone and awkward…
害怕站在一个陌生的地方,没有可以交谈的人,感觉有点孤单和尴尬……
the other reason people are always late is… that all the traffic lights will be green,
人们总是迟到的另一个原因是他们觉得会一路绿灯,
and they generally sort of stretch the time somehow in their minds,
他们通常在脑子里把时间延长了,
and just think there's time to do absolutely everything they've packed in.
觉得有时间去做所有事情。
So, she thinks being late is to do with social awkwardness.
所以,她认为迟到与社交尴尬有关。
If you arrive too soon you feel awkward
如果你到得太早,你会感到尴尬,
– that's uncomfortable or nervous, waiting for others to arrive.
那是说等着别人来会感到不舒服或紧张。
There's also the fear of being conspicuous – easily noticed or standing out in a crowd.
还有就是害怕太引人注意——很容易被注意到或者在人群中很显眼。
It's a very uncomfortable feeling, but that's not why I might be late.
那是一种很不舒服的感觉,但那不是我可能会迟到的原因。
It's the other reason Philippa Perry mentioned.
那是菲利帕·佩里提到的另一个原因。
I just think there's time to pack everything in!
我只是觉得还有时间完成所有事!
But if it makes you happy, I will try to be on time next time.
但如果那能让你高兴,下次我会尽量准时。
Well, according to experts on the Woman's Hour programme,
好吧,根据《女性时间》节目的专家所说,
you shouldn't 'try' to be on time, you should 'decide' to be on time.
你不应该“尽量”准时,你应该“决定”要准时。
OK, Neil!
好的,尼尔!
But before we run out of time, why don't you tell me if I had the right answer to the quiz.
但在我们节目结束之前,何不告诉我这次测验问题的答案是否正确?
Was I correct?
我答对了吗?
Yes, I asked you how many years it would take, approximately, for the UK's National Physical Laboratory's atomic clock to lose or gain a second?
是的,我问你,英国国家物理实验室的原子钟大约需要多少年才能慢一秒或快一秒?
Is it... a) 138 years, b) 138,000 years, or c) 138 million years?
是a)138年,b)13.8万年,还是c)1.38亿年?
And I said b) 138,000 years.
我说是b) 13.8万年。
And you are wrong!
你答错了!
You are too early for a change – the answer is c) 138 million years.
你给出的时间还为时过早——答案是c) 1.38亿年。
Maybe I should buy you an atomic watch, Catherine?
也许我应该给你买块原子表,凯瑟琳?
Ha ha. Right, let's not waste any more time.
哈哈。好了,我们不要再浪费时间了。
Here's a recap of the vocabulary we've discussed today, starting with punctuality.
回顾一下我们今天讨论的词汇,从“守时”开始。
This is about doing something at an agreed time and being on time.
这是指在约定的时间内做某事以及准时。
When we talk about someone's timekeeping, we mean their ability to achieve things on time.
当我们谈论某人的守时时,我们指的是他们按时完成事情的能力。
And we heard about time benders – not really people who bend time
我们也听到了“总迟到的人”——并不是指那些扭曲时间的人
– but people who are always late because they don't allow enough time to get somewhere.
——而是那些总是迟到的人,因为他们没有留出足够的时间到达某处。
Like you, Catherine, maybe?
可能是像你一样的人,凯瑟琳?
It's because you have a resistance to being on time.
那是因为你对准时有一种抗拒。
You are against being on time, you fight against it.
你反对准时,你对抗准时。
That's because I hate deadlines - fixed times when things must be completed by.
那是因为我讨厌最后期限——事情必须被完成的固定时间。
And some people also feel conspicuous, easily noticed,
有些人会觉得很显眼,很容易被注意到,
and they feel awkward - uncomfortable or nervous.
他们会感到尴尬——不舒服或紧张。
Thanks for joining us,
感谢收听我们的节目,
and don't forget to check out all our other programmes on our website – at bblearningenglish.com.
不要忘记登陆我们的网站bblearningenglish.com查看我们的其它节目。
Bye for now.
再见了。
Bye!
拜!