神童
Whizz-kid
Hello and welcome to The English We Speak, I'm Feifei.
欢迎收听地道英语,我是菲菲。
And I'm Rob.
我是罗布。
Hey Rob, have you ever wondered what you'd be doing if you weren't here?
嗨罗布,你可曾想过,如果你不在这里,你可能会在做什么吗?
Hmmm... Lying on the sofa, watching TV I expect.
嗯……我希望是躺在沙发上看电视。
No Rob.
不罗布。
I mean in your career –
我是指你的职业生涯,
if you weren't a talented presenter like you are?
如果你不是一个像现在这样的优秀主持人呢?
I'd be a financial whizz-kid:
那我会是一个金融神童:
investing in the stock market, making loads of money.
投资股市,赚很多钱。
A whizz-kid?
神童?
You mean someone young, very clever and successful at doing something?
你的意思是年纪小又聪明,并且某件事上有所作为的人?
Yes, that's a whizz-kid!
对,那就是神童!
I don't know why I didn't do it.
我不知为何我没有这么做。
Do you want me to tell you?
你想让我告诉你吗?
No.
不用了。
Let's just hear about some other whizz-kids who are young, intelligent and successful, just like me…
让我们听几个其他神童的例子吧,他们都年轻聪明又成功,就像我一样……
My nephew is a computer whizz-kid:
我侄子是个电脑神童,
he earns a fortune fixing people's laptops!
他靠修理别人的笔记本电脑赚了一大笔钱。
Our new financial whizz-kid has come straight from university and he's doing really well.
我们的新晋金融神童已经从大学毕业了,他现在做得真的很好。
She was a whizz-kid at university,
她在大学时曾是个神童,
so it's no wonder she's now a partner at one of the top legal firms.
所以也难怪她现在是一家顶级律所的合伙人。
So they are whizz-kids – clever, successful or skillful people –
所以他们是神童——聪明,成功或者精通某事的人,
and most of all, they are young, like kids!
而且最重要的,他们年纪小,像孩子一样!
And there's the problem Rob.
这就是问题所在,罗布。
There is a problem?
有问题?
Yes, you're not young anymore.
对,你年纪可再也不小了。
OK, clever then!
好,那还有聪明呢。
Hmm, I'm not so sure about that.
嗯,我对此不是很确定。
Alright, successful – one out of three isn't bad.
好吧,成功,三样中的一样还不坏吧。
Well, erm, errr…
嗯,呃,呃……
OK OK.
好吧。
Perhaps I'd never be a financial whizz-kid.
也许我永远也不会是一个金融神童了。
Maybe I'll stick to my other plan.
也许我该坚持我其它的计划。
Which is?
哪个?
Sitting on the sofa, watching TV.
坐在沙发上看电视。
I'm off to do it now.
我要走了,去做这件事了。
Bye.
再见。
Hmm, not a whizz-kid then, just a lazy man.
嗯,那可不是个神童,只是个懒人。
Bye.
再见。