大脑如何对约会软件做出反应?
Dating apps: How our brains react
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Dan.
大家好,欢迎来到六分钟英语。我是丹。
And hello, I'm Rob.
大家好,我是罗伯。
In today's programme we're going to be looking at what our brains are doing when we are using dating apps.
在今天的节目里,我们将要研究当我们使用约会软件时,大脑是如何做出反应的。
Now, Rob, have you ever used a dating app?
罗伯,你用过约会软件吗?
No way, I would never use one.
不可能,我从未使用过。
Hmm, so Rob, can you explain, when talking about dating apps, what we mean by swipe left and swipe right?
额。所以罗伯,你能解释一下当说到约会软件时,向左滑和向右滑是指什么吗?
Ah, yes. These are not new words but technology has given them new meaning.
啊,当然。这些不是新单词,但是科技赋予了它们新的含义。
To swipe' is the movement of your finger on a smartphone to change the screen you're looking at.
“To swipe”是为了变换你所浏览的手机界面,你的手指在智能机上的动作。
So imagine turning the page in a book, well, on a phone, you swipe.
所以想象一下给书翻页,在手机上就是手指滑动。
In some dating apps, they show you pictures of people you might find attractive.
在一些约会软件里,它们会向你显示你或许觉得吸引人的照片。
If you do like them, you swipe right. If you don't like them, you swipe left.
如果你真的喜欢他们,就向右滑。不喜欢就向左滑。
We will dig deeper into this topic shortly, but first, a question.
我们马上要更深入地探究这个话题,但是首先是测试问题。
In the UK, approximately how many marriages start with the couple meeting online?
在英国,大约有多少婚姻是从网上见面的情侣开始的?
Is it: a) One in three b) One in four or c) One in five?
是a) 三分之一 b) 四分之一 还是 c) 五分之一?
What do you think?
你觉得呢?
Well, all of those seem quite high to me, so I'm going to guess in the middle, one in four.
好吧,对我来说那些看起来都非常高,所以我猜中间的,四分之一。
Well, we'll find out if you're right later in the programme.
好的,我们稍后将在节目中揭晓你是否正确。
Now, Alice Gray is a science communicator and blogger.
爱丽丝•格雷既是一名科学传播者,又是一名博主。
Recently she was a guest on BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour programme.
最近她做客BBC节目4频道的《女性时间》。
And she was asked about what goes on in our brains when we use dating apps compared to when we meet people in real life.
并被问到和现实生活中的相遇比较,当我们使用约会软件时,大脑会做出什么反应。
What difference does she say there is?
她说有什么不同?
It's very easy to think that with these instantaneous swipe left, swipe right, that the process in our brain of how we pick out a suitable mate would be very different,
大家很容易认为我们的大脑通过这种即时性的左滑,右滑来挑选适合伴侣的过程是非常不一样的,
when actually it's really similar to how we do it in person.
而实际上它真的和我们当面所做出的反应非常相似。
So she says that what goes on in our brains is actually very similar.
所以她说我们大脑做出的反应事实上非常相似。
Online we make decisions very quickly about who we like.
在网上我们很快选择谁是我们所喜欢的。
These decisions are almost immediate.
这些决定几乎是瞬时的。
She used the adjective - instantaneous for this.
她用形容词“instantaneous”来表示这个意思。
So we make these instantaneous decisions then choose to swipe left or swipe right.
所以我们做出这些即时性决定,然后选择向左滑或者向右滑。
In real life, we do the same thing.
在现实生活中,我们做同样的事情。
We know almost immediately when we see someone if we find them attractive or not.
当我们看到某人时,我们几乎瞬间就知道他们是否吸引我们。
Although of course in digital dating, one you've swiped left you will never see that person again and you won't have the chance to meet.
当然尽管在数字化约会软件上,你将永远不会再次看到你向左滑的人,而且你不会有机会遇到他们。
In the real world you could meet someone you don't find attractive instantaneously and then get to know them and find that you do quite like them.
在现实生活中,你可能会遇见一个没有立刻就吸引到你的人,但了解之后,你就会发现你真的相当喜欢他们。
Yes, this is true.
是的,是那样的。
But then possibly they won't like you.
但是也可能他们不会喜欢你。
And then you have to deal with rejection.
然后你就不得不被拒绝。
Rejection is when someone doesn't find you attractive and they don't want to spend time with you or get to know you.
拒绝是说当某个人发现你并不吸引他,他们不想要浪费时间和你在一起或者去了解你。
So what's the difference in our brains between online rejection and real life rejection?
所以网上拒绝和现实生活中拒绝,我们的大脑有什么不同的地方?
Here's Alice Gray again.
这是爱丽丝•格雷再次谈到的。
We see that a lot of the patterns associated with rejection in real life and rejection on dating apps are similar,
我们看到现实生活中拒绝和在约会软件上拒绝有许多模式是相似的,
just the exposure to the rate of the amount of rejection you get on dating apps is a lot higher than the ones in real life.
只是你在约会软件上被拒绝的比率要远高于在现实生活中。
So in real life you'll have time to, sort of, compute the rejection, get over it a little bit, and dust yourself off and get on with it.
所以在现实生活中,你会有些时间处理自己的被拒,花一些时间恢复,重振旗鼓,重新开始。
Whereas the rate of rejection on dating apps is so high it's often hard to cope with one coming in after another.
而在约会软件上被拒绝的比率如此之高,人们经常很难处理一个接着一个的被拒。
So, she says that our brain's response to real life and online rejection is quite similar.
所以,她说我们的大脑对现实生活中的拒绝以及网上的拒绝是十分相似的。
But in the digital world you can be rejected many more times.
但是在数字化约会中,你被拒绝的次数会更多。
In real life you have a bit more time to recover from the rejection, to get over it, as she says.
在现实生活中,你从被拒中恢复的时间要更长些,正如她所说的“to get over it”。
You can dust yourself off which is a way of saying you think positively to make yourself feel better.
你可以重振旗鼓,那是说你自己积极思考让自己感觉好点的一种方式。
Imagine falling over on the ground, when you get up, you might be covered in dust and dirt, you need to dust yourself off to make yourself ready again, before you carry on.
想象一下你早上起床掉到地上,你可能会变得灰头土脸,你需要把身上的灰尘掸下去,在重新出发之前做好准备。
In the online world though, you don't have that time.
然而在网络世界,你没有那个时间。
Online dating apps can lead to many rejections and psychologically that can be difficult to manage.
网上约会软件会导致一些被拒,而且从心理上来说很难处理。
Another way of saying 'difficult to manage' is difficult 'to cope with'.
难处理的另一种说法是很难“to cope with”。
Well, we don't want you to reject us, so time now to give you the answer to that quiz question before a recap of today's vocabulary.
好的,我们不想你拒绝我们,所以在回顾单词之前现在该给出你问题的答案了。
I asked: in the UK, approximately how many marriages start with the couple meeting online?
我问:在英国有多少婚姻是从网上见面的情侣开始的?
Is it: a) One in three b) One in four or c) One in five?
是a) 三分之一 b) 四分之一 还是 c) 五分之一?
Hmmm, so I said b) one in four – 25%. Was I right?
额,所以我说是四分之一,25%。对吗?
Sorry, Rob, the answer is a), one in three.
抱歉,罗伯,答案是三分之一。
Does that surprise you?
惊到了吗?
Yes, it does, I didn't think it would be that high.
是的,它确实吓到我了,我没想到它会那么高。
It's the sign of the times, Rob.
它是时代的象征,罗伯。
Digital world, digital dating!
数字化社会,数字化约会!
Let's have a look at that vocabulary.
让我们看一下词汇。
OK, well, we started with the verb 'to swipe'.
好的,我们从动词“to swipe”开始。
The movement of our finger on smartphone or tablet screen to indicate whether we like someone or not.
在智能机或者平板屏幕上我们手指的动作,表明我们喜欢或者不喜欢某个人。
Swipe right for like, swipe left if you don't like.
喜欢右滑,不喜欢左滑。
Our decisions on whether we find someone attractive or not are often instantaneous.
我们对于自己觉得某人是否吸引自己的决定通常是瞬时的。
This adjective means immediate, at once.
这个形容词指的是立刻,马上。
Rejection is when you let someone know that you are not interested in them, you don't want to be romantically involved with them.
拒绝是指你让别人知道你对他们不感兴趣,不想和他们浪漫共处。
If you are rejected you might need some time to feel better, and for this you can use the phrasal verb 'get over'.
如果你被拒绝了,你或许需要一些时间恢复,这样的话你可以使用动词词组“get over”。
It can take some time to get over a rejection.
从被拒中恢复要花费一些时间。
Yeah, I know! Now, being positive and optimistic after a rejection can be described as dusting yourself off.
是的,我知道。在被拒后保持积极乐观可以被形容为“dusting yourself off”。
But, having many rejections can be difficult to cope with, which means it can be difficult to manage, difficult to keep positive.
但是多次被拒会很难处理,那指的是很难解决,很难保持积极。
Well, we hope you don't swipe left on this programme and you will join us again next time.
好的,我们希望你不要不喜欢这个节目而选择向左滑,下次再加入我们啊。
Remember you can find us on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and of course our website bbclearningenglish.com.
记得,你可以在Instagram,Facebook,Twitter,YouTube,当然还有我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com上找到我们。
And don't forget our new BBC Learning English app.
而且不要忘了我们的BBC教学英语软件。
Oh good idea.
噢,好主意。
See you soon. Bye.
下次见,拜。
Bye bye!
拜拜!