为什么街头小吃变得如此受欢迎?
Street food: Why is it becoming so popular?
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English, I'm Neil.
大家好,欢迎来到六分钟英语,我是尼尔。
And I'm Rob.
我是罗伯。
Now Rob, you like your food, don't you?
罗伯,你喜欢食物,是吗?
Oh yes, yum yum food!
噢,是的,好吃美味的食物!
One of my favourite things.
我最喜欢的东西之一。
And what do you think of street food?
那你认为街头小吃怎么样?
I love street food.
我喜欢街头小吃。
There are some great places in London where you can find delicious foods from all over the world, cooked in front of you in market stalls on the street.
伦敦有一些不错的地方,在那里你可以找到来自世界的美食,在市场街道边当着你的面做出来。
It's quite new though, isn't it?
然而它十分新奇,不是吗?
Not really a British tradition.
并不真的是英国传统食物。
I guess not, but it seems to be much more popular these days.
我猜不是,但是现在它似乎更受欢迎了。
Well, our topic today is street food, but before we tuck into that, here is today's question.
好的,我们今天的主题是街头小吃,但是在我们开始之前是今天的问题。
Recently archaeologists in Jordan discovered what they believe is the oldest remains of bread.
最近约旦的考古学家发现了他们认为保存时间最长的面包。
How old is this bread?
这个面包有多少年了?
Is it… a) 18,000 years old b) 14,000 years old, or c) 5,500 years old?
是……a) 1.8万年 b) 1.4万年 还是 c) 5500年?
What do you think?
你觉得呢?
I don't know.
我不知道。
But what I do know is, I wouldn't really want to try a sandwich made from that bread!
但我知道的是我不会真的想要尝试用那个面包做出的三明治。
Mmm, it might be a bit mouldy.
额,那可能有点发霉了。
Yes! Anyway, I'm going to have a guess and I'll go for c) 5,500 years old.
是的!不管怎么样,我都要猜一下,我会选c) 5500年。
Right, we will find out the answer later in the programme.
好的,稍后我们将在节目中找出答案。
Mark Laurie is from the Nationwide Caterers Association.
马克•劳里来自全国餐饮业协会。
He is an expert in the business of street food in the UK.
他是英国街头小吃方面的专家。
He appeared on BBC radio's The Food Programme and was asked how the business of street food has changed in recent years.
他做客BBC广播《美食节目》,并被问到近些年来街头小吃是如何变化的?
In his answer he talks about the areas where there is most growth in street food.
在他的回答中他谈到了街头小吃发展最快的地方。
What are those areas?
这是地方是哪些呢?
It's been phenomenal the growth in street food.
街头小吃的发展很显著。
It's really taken off.
它真的很受欢迎。
It's really become quite mainstream, part of the cultural fabric of the country really.
它真的变得十分主流,真的成为英国文化结构的一部分。
So it's beginning to be, certainly in the bigger cities and increasingly in the sort of provinces, if you like.
所以它开始,当然在较大的城市中以及越来越多的地方存在,如果你喜欢的话。
So where does he say the popularity of street food is growing?
所以他说哪里的街头小吃在发展?
He says that it's in the bigger cities and also in the provinces.
他说在较大的城市和其它地方。
The provinces is a word which means 'the parts of a country outside of the cities'.
“Province”这个单词是指一个国家大城市以外的一部分地区。
So essentially, he's saying it's getting more popular everywhere.
所以本质上来说,他在说每个地方的街头小吃都变得更受欢迎。
Exactly. In fact he says the growth is phenomenal.
正是。事实上他说街头小吃的发展显著。
This means he thinks the growth is spectacular, really big.
这指的是他认为发展是惊人的,真的很巨大。
Yes, he says that it's really taken off.
是的,他说那真的受到欢迎。
Taken off is one of those phrasal verbs that can be used in many different ways.
“Taken off”是动词词组之一,可以有许多不同的使用方法。
In this sense, when something takes off, it means it becomes successful and popular.
从这个意思上来说,当某事受到欢迎,那意味着它变得成功以及流行起来。
You know, street food isn't really something you associate with Britain.
你知道,街头小吃真的不是你能和英国联系到一起的东西。
Perhaps it's the climate or British food, so street food is something that we are now getting used to and enjoying more.
也许气候或者英国食品能和英国联系到一起,所以街头小吃是我们现在逐渐适应并更多享受到的东西。
In fact Mark says that it's now becoming mainstream.
事实上马克说那现在成为主流。
This means that is no longer something that is seen as being unusual or different.
这指的是那不再是看起来不同寻常或者与众不同的事情。
It's becoming an accepted part of the everyday eating experience.
它正逐渐成为人们日常饮食所能接受的一部分。
Well, let’s listen again to Mark Laurie talking about the growth of street food in the UK.
好的,让我们再听一遍马克•劳里谈论英国街头小吃的发展。
It's been phenomenal the growth in street food.
街头小吃的发展很显著。
It's really taken off.
它真的很受欢迎。
It's really become quite mainstream, part of the cultural fabric of the country really.
它真的变得十分主流,真的成为英国文化结构的一部分。
So it's beginning to be, certainly in the bigger cities and increasingly in the sort of provinces, if you like.
所以它开始,当然在较大的城市中以及越来越多的地方存在,如果你喜欢的话。
Mark Laurie goes on to talk about why street food has become popular.
马克•劳里接着谈到为什么街头小吃变得如此受欢迎。
What kind of food does he say it's not like?
他说那并不像什么样的食物?
Yeah, it's just really captured the imagination of the public.
是的,它真的引大众遐想。
It's honest food, it's authentic food and it's people that you can trust making it.
它是实在的食物,是真正的食物,而且是你所信任的人做出来的。
It's not some microwave food or whatever that you might get in your local pub.
它不是某种微波炉食物或者是你在当地酒吧能买到的什么东西。
So street food is many things, but what isn't it?
所以街头小吃有很多,但它不是什么?
Well, he says that it's not like food you might get in some pubs.
好的,他说那不是你在一些酒吧能买到的食物。
That food he says may be some microwave food, which is food prepared in a microwave oven.
他说的那种食物或许是某些在微波炉里做出来的微波炉食品。
You know I quite like a microwave meal now and then.
你知道我偶尔挺喜欢微波炉做饭的。
And I reheat my leftovers in the microwave.
而且我会在微波炉里重新加热剩饭。
But I guess if you were paying for a nice meal, you wouldn't expect reheated leftovers!
但是我猜如果想要一顿不错的餐点时,你不会期待加热剩饭能做出来!
I think the point he is making is that in many places the food you are served is not freshly made.
我觉得他提出的观点是在许多地方提供给人们的食物并不是新鲜制作的。
It may be pre-prepared and finished off in a microwave.
它或许已经提前做好,在微波炉里加热一下就好。
Street food, he says, is authentic.
他说街头小吃是真正的食物。
Yes, authentic. It's real, fresh and cooked right in front of you.
是的,真正的。它是真实的,新鲜的,即刻在你面前做出来的。
And if it's food from a particular country, it's probably being prepared by people from that culture.
而且如果食物是来自一个很特别的国家,那它或许是由那个文化下的人做出来的。
He also says that this has captured the imagination of the public.
他同样说这引众人遐想。
It's something that the public have experienced and thought - 'yep, you know, I like this, this is a great idea.'
它是大众体验过,并认为——“是的,你知道,我喜欢这样,这是个好主意。”
Well, all this talk of food is making me hungry, so let's get the answer to the quiz and review today's vocabulary before we head off and grab a bite to eat.
好的,这个关于食物的讨论都让我饿了,所以让我们揭晓今天节目的答案吧,并且在我们离开去吃点东西之前让我们回顾一下今天的单词。
We asked about the age of bread discovered by archaeologists in Jordan.
我们问由约旦考古学家发现的保存最久的面包有多少年了。
Was it a) 18,000 years old, b) 14,000 years or c) 5,500 years?
是a) 1.8万年 b) 1.4万年,还是 c) 5500年?
Mmm, and I said c) 5,500 years.
嗯,而且我说是c) 5500年。
And I'm afraid it's a lot mouldier than that.
恐怕它要比那发霉得多。
The answer was 14,000 years.
答案是1.4万年。
Very tasty I'm sure.
我确信肯定非常美味。
Yes! Right then, the vocabulary.
是的!接下来是词汇。
We started off with adjective 'phenomenal' to describe something that is amazing, remarkable and extraordinary.
我们从形容词“phenomenal”开始,形容的是某事令人吃惊,显著非凡,不同寻常。
Then we had 'to take off', a phrasal verb which means to become popular.
然后是“to take off”,一个动词词组,指的是变得受欢迎。
Street food has really taken off in the UK, it's become really popular.
街头小吃真的在英国变得很受欢迎,它真的变得流行起来。
And not just in the cities but also in the provinces, which is a noun to describe areas of a country that aren't the major cities.
而且不仅仅是在大城市里,还有地方,那是形容一个国家非中心城市的区域的名词。
Something which captures the imagination is something which makes you interested and not just for a short time.
引人遐想的某事物就是让你感兴趣的某事物,而且不仅仅是在短时间里。
And one thing which has captured the imagination of the British public is authentic street food.
而且引英国公众遐想的东西是真正的街头小吃。
Something authentic is real, it's genuine, it's not a fake or a copy.
某事是真正的就是真实的,是真的,不是假冒的或者仿制的。
And finally we had microwave food, food prepared in a microwave oven.
最后我们学了微波炉食品,在微波炉里做出来的食品。
And that kind of food is not seen by some as authentic.
而且那种食物在某些人看来不是真正的食物。
Well, it's time to eat, so that's all we have time for today.
好的,到了去吃饭的时间了,所以以上是我们今天的所有内容。
Join us again next time and remember you can find us on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and of course on our website bbclearningenglish.com.
下次要再次加入我们啊,而且记得你可以在Instagram,Facebook,Twitter,YouTube,当然还有我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com上找到我们。
See you soon, bye.
下次见,拜!
Byebye!
拜拜!