在你难过时你会买什么东西
What do you buy when you're sad?
Hello and welcome to Six Minute English.
大家好,欢迎收听六分钟英语。
I'm Neil and joining me today is Dan – who is weighed down with shopping bags and wearing something very… strange.
我是尼尔。今天和我一起主持节目的是丹,他看着很颓废,带着一大堆购物袋,穿得非常……奇怪。
What's going on, Dan?
你怎么了,丹?
Well, I was feeling a bit miserable so I decided to cheer myself up by going shopping!
我感觉有点难受,所以我决定通过购物让自己开心起来!
Well that's lucky because the link between shopping and mood is what we're looking at in this 6 Minute English
那很巧,今天的节目中我们就要探讨购物和情绪之前的联系,
– and of course we'll be giving you six mood and shopping-related vocabulary items.
当然,我们还会给出六个和情绪及购物相关的单词。
But first, our quiz:
首先,看一下我们的问题:
Online shoppers in which country spend more per household than consumers in any other country, according to a report from the UK Cards Association?
根据英国银行卡协会的报告,在哪个国家,每户家庭中网购花费的钱比其他任何国家都多?
Is it a) The USA, b) Norway, c) The UK
a) 美国, b) 挪威, c) 英国。
Norway seems to come top of lots of our lists, so for that reason alone I'm going to say Norway.
挪威在很多排名中都名列前茅,所以基于这个原因,我选挪威。
Well, OK. We'll find out at the end of the show.
在节目的最后我们再揭晓答案。
Now, Dan, you said just now that you went shopping because you were feeling down.
丹,你刚刚说你去购物因为你感到沮丧。
That's right – I like a bit of retail therapy.
没错。我喜欢购物疗法。
Retail therapy is a humorous expression which means going shopping to make yourself feel better.
购物疗法是一种很幽默的表达,是指通过购物让自己开心。
Oh I do that all the time.
我总是这么做。
Yes, I can see. And you're not alone.
好吧,我看得出来。也不单单是你这么做。
According to some research done by the website moneysupermarket.com,
根据网站moneysupermarket.com的一些调查,
people are more likely to buy things they'll later regret when they're feeling sad, bored or stressed.
当人们感到悲伤、无聊或压力大时,都喜欢买一些之后会后悔的东西。
Well I was feeling a bit down in the dumps. And that's a way of saying sad.
我感觉有点低落。这是悲伤的另一种表达方式。
Oh dear, Dan. Sorry to hear you've been down in the dumps.
丹。很抱歉听到你很低落。
I only hope you don't also get a pang of regret about your purchases when you get them home
我只希望你把买的东西带回家后不会后悔,
– the research suggests that you will.
调查显示你会的。
A pang is a sharp pain.
pang是指剧烈的痛苦。
We often hear it used figuratively to talk about strong emotions like guilt, regret and remorse.
我们在说起强烈的情感时,如愧疚、后悔和懊悔时,会比喻性地用这个词。
You're making me feel worse, Neil.
你让我感觉更糟糕了,尼尔!
Sorry Dan – it's all for educational purposes!
抱歉,丹。这都是出于教学目的。
Our audience will learn from your pain!
我们的观众会从你的痛苦中吸取经验的。
Remorse is like regret
remorse和后悔类似,
– and there's a good expression to describe exactly that bad feeling you get when you realise you don't really need or want the thing you've bought.
有一个很好的表达来描述,当你意识到你买到不需要或不想要的东西时的糟糕心情。
Buyer's remorse.
买家的懊悔。
OK, OK, OK enough about me.
好了,好了,足够了。
Let's hear from Sam, Phil and Catherine from the Learning English team to see if their mood affects the shopping choices they make.
让我们听听英语学习团队的山姆、菲尔以及凯瑟琳的看法,看看是否他们的情绪影响了他们的购物选择。
Listen carefully. Can you hear the three types of things they say that they buy when they're down in the dumps?
仔细听。你能听出他们心情低落时会买的三种东西吗?
Honestly, I tend to buy food.
老实说,我倾向于买食物。
Anything that will bring me comfort, so it can be any sort of warm drink, hot drink but also anything kind of warm and cosy – so like a nice jumper.
如果有一些东西能给我带来安慰,那一定是一些热饮,以及任何温暖惬意的东西,比如说一件漂亮的套头衫。
Definitely, if I've had a bad day at work, or for whatever reason or I feel terrible, tired,
当然,当我工作一天不顺利,或遇到任何让我感到难过、疲倦的事,
I am more likely to buy something on the way home.
我会在回家路上买一些东西。
Oh when I'm feeling sad, I probably buy a little bit of wine and often something to wear.
当我感觉不好的时候,我会买一些酒,或穿的东西。
I find that a bit of retail therapy when I'm sad usually does the trick at the time,
我发现当我难过的时候,购物疗法在那时是有效果的,
so it makes me feel better.
它会让我心情好起来。
But I do find that when I look in my wardrobe,
但我看看我的衣橱我发现,
the things that I bought when I was sad – I never wear them.
当我难过时买的衣服,我从来没有穿过。
Sam, Phil and Catherine there from the BBC Learning English team talking about what kind of things they buy when they're feeling down.
山姆、菲尔和凯瑟琳都是来自BBC英语学习团队,他们谈论了心情低落时会购买的东西。
What were they?
有什么呢?
Food, drink and clothes.
食物、饮料和衣物。
That's right. Sam mentioned she buys food, warm drinks and a nice jumper to keep her cosy.
没错。山姆提到她会买食物、热饮或一件漂亮的套头衫让自己感到很惬意。
That's the feeling of being warm, comfortable and relaxed.
这是指温暖、舒适、放松的心情。
Catherine also mentioned drinks – this time wine.
凯瑟琳也提到了饮品,她说的是酒。
And she also said that buying clothes does the trick.
她还提到买衣服是有效果的。
That means achieves the result she intended.
是指达到她想要的结果。
But what's interesting is that
但有意思的是,
Catherine said she never wears the clothes she buys when she's feeling sad.
凯瑟琳说她从来没有穿过在难过时买的衣服。
That's exactly what the survey found
这就是调查所显示的,
– people regret the purchases they make when they're sad, bored or stressed.
人们会后悔在难过、无聊、压力大时买的东西。
Sounds like a case of buyer's remorse.
听起来这就是买家懊悔的例子。
Indeed. Well, time now for the answer to our quiz question.
没错。是时候公布我们问题的答案了。
I asked this: Online shoppers in which country spend more per household than consumers in any other country,
我问的是:在哪个国家,每户家庭网购花费的钱比其他任何一个国家都多,
according to a report from the UK Cards Association?
根据英国银行卡协会的报告。
Is it: a) The USA, b) Norway, c) The UK?
a)美国,b) 挪威 c) 英国
I said b) Norway.
我选的是挪威。
And I'm afraid you might need to go and buy some more stuff to cheer you up – you're wrong!
也许你得买更多的东西让你开心起来了,你回答错了!
The correct answer is the UK.
正确答案是英国。
Apparently UK households spent the equivalent of 4611 pounds, that's almost 6000 dollars using payment cards online in 2015.
2015年英国家庭平均用银行卡在网上消费4611英镑,相当于6000美元。
Well, I hope they were happy when they made those purchases or they may feel the pang of regret
我希望他们买东西时是开心的,或者他们会感到很后悔。
I'm scared I might get after today's discussion!
恐怕今天的讨论过后我就会后悔。
Well, a good recap of the vocabulary from this programme might do the trick.
浏览一遍今天的单词也许会有效果。
Shall we start with the first word?
我们从第一个单词开始?
Do you ever go in for a bit of retail therapy, Neil?
你尝试过购物疗法吗,尼尔?
Actually I try to avoid it.
事实上我试着避免它。
Especially after reading this survey,
尤其是读过这个调查后,
I don't think the happiness you feel after buying something lasts very long.
我不认为买东西会让你的幸福感持续很久。
In fact, you can end up feeling down in the dumps.
事实上最终你还是会心情低落。
Down in the dumps - meaning sad or unhappy.
心情低落是指悲伤、不开心。
And a pang of regret might follow once you realise you've spent a lot of money on something you don't really need.
没错,当你意识到你花费了很多钱在不需要的东西上,你会感到强烈的后悔。
A pang is a stab – used here figuratively to mean a sharp pain used to talk about strong emotions.
pang是指突发一阵的痛苦,当我们谈到强烈的情感时,我们会用其比喻性地描述剧烈的痛苦。
And after the pang can come buyer's remorse.
痛苦过后就是买家的懊悔。
Hmm, I'm beginning to feel buyer's remorse from this leopard skin onesie.
这件豹纹连体衣让我开始感到买家的懊悔了。
It seemed like such a good idea at the time.
当时感觉还可以。
Well it does look cozy – warm comfortable and relaxed, so I think if that's what you wanted, it does the trick.
它确实看上去很惬意,即温暖、舒适、放松,所以如果这是你想要的,它确实达到效果了。
Does the trick, meaning achieves the result you wanted.
达到效果是指达到你想要的结果。
Please remember to check out our Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube pages.
记得查看我们的 Facebook,Twitter和 YouTube主页。
Bye!
再见!