交流的好处
It’s good to talk
Welcome to 6 Minute English, where we bring you a thoughtful topic and six items of vocabulary.
欢迎收听六分钟英语,在该节目中我们会探讨有思想的话题,奉上六个有用的单词。
I'm Rob…
我是罗伯。
And I'm Neil. So I was watching an old Woody Allen movie last night…
我是尼尔。我昨晚在看伍迪·艾伦的老电影。
OK. Is he the anxious middle-aged guy from New York who talks about his problems all the time?
他是不是中年焦虑的纽约人,总是谈论自己的问题?
That's the one.
就是他。
He was paying for… psychoanalysis – and that's a type of talk therapy that was popular in the 1970s.
他花钱进行心理分析,这是20世纪70年代流行的一种谈话心理治疗方式。
Do you know what therapy means, Rob?
你知道therapy是什么意思吗,罗伯?
Yes. Therapy means a type of treatment for a problem or illness.
知道。Therapy(治疗)是指解决问题或治愈治病的方法。
And talk therapy is a treatment for psychological problems
谈话治疗是解决心理问题的一种治疗方式,
– which means problems of the mind – in case you were struggling with another long Greek word, Neil!
psychological problems是指思想上的问题,假如你很纠结另一个很长的希腊词汇。
Trained therapists work with you on ways to understand your thoughts, feelings and behaviour.
训练有素的治疗师会跟你一起了解你的想法、感受和行为。
Hey, Rob, I'm an expert on long Greek words.
罗伯,我可是长的希腊词汇的专家。
Psychology is the noun, by the way.
顺便说一句,psychology是名词。
And the prefix psycho in front of any word means to do with the mind.
其前缀psycho放在某一词前,代表这个词和思想有关。
For example the horror movie Psycho… which is all about the disturbed mind of the main character, Norman Bates…
例如恐怖电影《惊魂记》,讲的是主人公诺曼·贝茨错乱的思想。
…Where disturbed means not thinking or behaving in a normal way – because you have psychological problems.
disturbed是指不能以正常的方式思考或行动,因为你有心理问题。
Norman Bates would have found talk therapy helpful, don't you think?
诺曼·贝茨会发现谈话治疗很有用的,你觉得呢?
Hmm. I'm not sure really.
我不确定。
Anyway, let's have a quiz question – shall we now, Neil?
总之,让我们看看今天的问题,现在看看,怎么样?
Can you tell me who invented the first talk therapy?
你能告诉我谁第一个发明了谈话治疗吗?
Was it… a) Boris Karloff, b) Carl Jung or c) Sigmund Freud?
a) 鲍里斯·卡洛夫, b) 卡尔·荣格 还是 c) 西格蒙德·弗洛伊德?
I'm going to go for Sigmund Freud.
我选弗洛伊德。
OK. Interesting answer – we'll find out later whether it was the right one or not.
有趣的答案,之后我们再看你回答得是否正确。
Now, moving on, what do you think is the most common psychological problem today, Neil?
接着说,你觉得如今最常见的心理问题是什么呢?
It's depression.
是抑郁。
And depression – a feeling of unhappiness that can affect your thoughts, behaviour and feelings
抑郁是指不开心的感觉,会影响你的思想、举止和感受。
– is the most common psychological problem affecting people throughout the world.
这是影响全世界人的最常见的心理问题。
How depressing! That's the adjective!
多么令人抑郁!这是形容词形式!
It makes me feel depressed just thinking about it.
一想起它就让我感觉很抑郁。
And depressed is the adjective we use to describe how we are feeling.
depressed也是形容词,我们用来描述自己的感受。
Don't feel depressed, Rob!
别抑郁,罗伯!
Let's listen to Professor Brent Roberts from the University of Illinois to find out more about the benefits of talk therapy.
我们听听伊利诺伊大学布兰特·罗伯茨教授讲述谈话治疗的好处。
Seeing a therapist does result in marked changes in psychological functioning.
看治疗师会对心理技能产生显著的变化。
So people get less depressed and they get less anxious, and it seems to be regardless of what type of intervention is engaged in.
人们的抑郁会减少,焦虑也会减轻,无论是哪种的治疗干预都会产生这样的效果。
And that is… and that has been one of the more positive aspects of the therapy research that we've seen.
这是我们看到的心理研究最积极的方面。
So when people talk to therapists about their problems,
当人们和治疗师交流他们的问题后,
it results in marked changes in their psychological functioning – marked here means obvious or noticeable.
会对心理技能产生显著的变化,marked是指明显的,可以注意到的。
And these marked changes are that people become less depressed and anxious!
这些明显的变化有,人们的抑郁和焦虑减轻。
An intervention, by the way, is something you do to improve a medical problem
顺便提一下,干预是指你做某事来改善医疗问题。
– and in this context, it refers to different types of talk therapy.
在当下的语境中是指谈话治疗的不同方式。
But why is talking about our problems helpful, Neil?
为什么交流对我们的问题有帮助呢,尼尔?
I think it gives a shape to our problems.
我觉得交流让我们的问题具体化。
It makes them seem clearer – and that's a first step in being able to manage them.
让问题更清晰的显露,这是我们处理问题的第一步。
Also, a problem shared is a problem halved, as the saying goes.
俗话说,两人分担,问题减半。
There's also some scientific evidence that talk therapy can change the way we think and feel
还有科学证据证明谈话治疗会改变我们思考和感受的方式,
– by replacing negative thought patterns with positive ones.
通过用积极的思考方式替代消极的思考方式。
Medication can also change the way we think and feel.
药物治疗也会改变我们思考和感受的方式。
Some people take pills to treat depression.
一些人服用药物来治疗抑郁。
But medication can have negative effects, for example it can make you feel sleepy during the daytime.
但药物有一些副作用,例如会让你在白天感到很困。
Well, here's a positive thought – let's check how much we've learned today by going over today's vocabulary!
这里有一个积极的办法,让我们浏览一遍今天的单词看看我们学到了多少。
We had therapy…
我们提到了治疗。
Therapy is a type of treatment for a problem or illness.
治疗是指解决问题或治愈疾病的方式。
There's therapy – therapist – therapeutic.
治疗方式,治疗师,治愈的。
My therapist is using a new therapy with me – it's very therapeutic!
我的治疗师使用新的治疗方式来治疗我,这种方式非常治愈。
Therapeutic means treating an illness – but in a more general sense, it can simply mean relaxing.
治愈的是指治疗疾病,但广义的来说,它也简单地指放松的。
For example, I find listening to music very therapeutic.
例如我发现听音乐非常治愈,非常放松。
OK. Next up – psychological – relating to the mind.
下一个单词是心理的,和思想有关。
Psychology – psychologist – psychological.
心理,心理学家,心理的。
Depression and anxiety are both psychological problems.
抑郁和焦虑都是心理问题。
My friend is studying psychology at university.
我朋友在大学研究心理学。
I want to be a famous psychologist.
我想成为一名著名的心理学家。
A career change at your age, Neil?!
你这个年纪还想换工作?
You've kept that one a secret.
你要守住这个秘密。
OK. Number three – disturbed – not thinking or behaving in a normal way because you have psychological problems.
好了,第三个单词是错乱的,指因为有心理问题而不能以正常的方式思考和行动。
She was a disturbed young woman.
这位年轻女士有点精神错乱。
Or disturbing – I've been having very disturbing dreams recently.
disturbing(令人不安的)。我最近经常做一些令人不安的梦。
Poor Neil! Disturbing here means upsetting or worrying.
可怜的尼尔。令人不安的是指沮丧的,令人担心的。
Next item – depression – a feeling of unhappiness that can affect your thoughts, behaviour, and feelings.
下一个词是指抑郁,一种不开心的感受,会影响你的思想、举止和感受。
We felt depressed by the news.
我们听到这个消息非常压抑。
The news was very depressing!
这个消息令人非常压抑。
Alright. Let's lift the mood – marked means obvious or noticeable.
好了,让我们提起情绪,marked是指明显的,可以注意到的。
There's been a marked improvement in your English homework!
你的英语作业有了显著的进步。
There was a marked increase in the company's profits last year!
该公司去年的利润有了显著提高。
And finally – intervention – something you do to improve a problem – medical or otherwise.
最后我们提到干预,是指你做某事来改善问题,医疗问题或其他问题。
Let me intervene at this point – intervene – that's the verb and in this context it means to interrupt
让我插一句,intervene,是动词,在该语境中是指插入,
– and say we've forgotten the quiz question, Rob!!
我要说的是我们忘了公布今天问题的答案,罗伯!
Oh, no! Good intervention.
对!介入的好!
Yes, let's remind ourselves of that quiz question: who invented the first talk therapy?
让我们想一下今天的问题:谁最先发明了谈话疗法。
And you said Sigmund Freud, which is the right answer, so well done, Neil!
你说的是弗洛伊德,这就是正确答案,做的不错!
Psychoanalysis was invented in the early 1890s by Austrian neurologist Sigmund Freud.
心理分析由奥地利神经学家弗洛伊德于19世纪80年代发明。
The patient lies on a couch and talks about their thoughts, feelings and dreams while the therapist listens.
病人躺在沙发上,讲述他们的思想、感受和梦,治疗师在一旁听着。
Psychoanalytic sessions typically last 50 minutes and take place 4 to 5 times a week.
心理分析通常持续50分钟,每周四到五次。
OK. Good to know. But I think I prefer our own brand of talk therapy here on the show.
很高兴了解这些。但我更喜欢节目中我们自己的谈话治疗品牌。
And listeners – you can express your thoughts and feelings by visiting our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube pages.
听众朋友们,你可以访问我们的 Facebook, Twitter, Instagram 和 YouTube主页,表达你们的想法和感受。
Talk to you again soon! Bye bye!
下一次继续与你们诉说。再见!
So tell me about your childhood, Rob…
那么,罗伯,给我讲讲你的童年吧。