新型两轮代步工具
New transport on two wheels
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Finn...
大家好,欢迎收听六分钟英语。我是芬恩。
… and I'm Neil. Hello.
大家好,我是尼尔。
Today we're talking about one of the latest forms of transport on two wheels.
今天我们要谈论最新的两轮代步工具。
Yes. We're not talking about bicycles here.
是的,我们今天谈论的不是自行车。
No, we're talking about a… self-balancing transport device.
没错,我们今天要谈论的是自动平衡的交通装置。
What a complicated name!
多么复杂的名字!
Now a device is an object which has been created for a particular purpose.
装置是指为某一特定目的而制造的物体。
But yes, you need to balance on this device which means you need to stand on it and not fall over.
你需要在装置上保持平衡,也就是说你站在上面不会摔下来。
Well this device has other names as well.
这个装置还有其他的名字。
It's called a rideable because you ride on it like you ride on a bicycle – or you can call it a self-balancing scooter - or others call it a hoverboard.
它还被称为乘骑滑板,因为你可以像骑自行车一样骑在上面,你也可以称之为自平衡滑板车,或者悬浮滑板。
That's perhaps because it looks like a skateboard perhaps… but it's different, isn't it?
也许是因为它看起来像个滑板,但还是有所不同,不是吗?
Yes it is, it is a bit different.
确实有些不一样。
And we'll be finding out more about hoverboards in a moment, but first it's time for our quiz question.
之后我们会进一步讨论悬浮滑板,现在我们先看今天的问题。
I'm going to make a statement and I want you to tell me, Finn, if it is true or false. OK?
我会做出一个陈述,你来告诉我是对还是错。
OK.
好的。
Here in the UK, it's illegal to ride a hoverboard on the pavement.
在英国,人行道上骑悬浮滑板是非法的。
Is that true or false, Finn?
这是真的还是假的?
What do you think?
你怎么看?
Well, I've actually seen someone riding a hoverboard on the pavement so I'll say it's false.
我确实看见过有人在人行道上骑悬浮滑板,所以我认为是假的。
I think it's legal to ride one on the pavement.
我觉得这是合法的。
OK, then. We'll see if you're right at the end of the programme.
好的,节目的最后我们再看你回答的是否正确。
OK. So, Neil have you ever tried riding on a hoverboard?
话说尼尔你试过骑悬浮滑板吗?
No, I haven't, but I would like to give it a go.
还没有,但我想试一试。
It looks like a skateboard, but it is different
它看起来像是滑板,但是有所不同,
– it moves differently – and it goes in a different direction – it goes… sideways.
尤其是移动的时候,前进的方向不同,它朝着与滑板侧面垂直的方向行进。
Yes. And, you know, the other big difference is that it is motorised.
另外最大的不同在于它是机动的。
And when you change your balance the wheels turn.
当你改变平衡时,轮子会自动转向。
So when you lean forwards – you move forwards – and when you lean back you slow down and stop…
当你前倾时,就会向前走;略向后靠,则减速至停下。
and if you lean even further back, then you actually move backwards.
当你再后倾时,就会向后移动。
Yes. So it's hard to keep your balance.
是的,所以保持平衡是很难的。
Like a skateboard, you need to practise to get good at this.
就像滑板,你需要反复练习才能很好地掌握。
And I'm no good at skateboards.
我不擅长滑板。
And I think, you know, if you don't practise you'll fall off the hoverboard lots of times.
我觉得如果你不多加练习,会一次次从滑板上摔下来。
BBC reporter Emma Ailes has tried a hoverboard.
BBC记者Emma Ailes曾经尝试过悬浮滑板。
Who else has tried one of these rideables?
还有谁尝试过类似的代步工具呢?
Listen to her report.
我们来听听她怎么说。
So you may have seen in recent weeks celebrities like Justin Bieber and Lily Allen riding one of these.
最近几周,你会发现一些名人在使用悬浮滑板,像贾斯汀比伯和莉莉艾伦。
It's a self-balancing transportation device or some people call them rideables.
这是一种自平衡的代步工具,有一些人称之为乘骑滑板。
I've never had a go but I am going to integrate one into my life in the next couple of days and see how I get on.
我从没尝试过,但是接下来几天我想在生活中尝试一下,看看我能不能掌握。
And that was the BBC reporter Emma Ailes.
这就是BBC记者Emma Ailes的想法。
She said that she's going to integrate riding a overboard into her everyday life and so perhaps she'll travel to the BBC on a hoverboard.
她说要在生活中尝试悬浮滑板,也许她会骑着悬浮滑板来上班。
Now to integrate means to combine things to make them more efficient.
整合就是指将某物结合,使之更有效率。
Or maybe she'll go shopping on a hoverboard.
也许她逛街也会骑悬浮滑板。
Now she talked about celebrities – famous people - who are using hoverboards.
她还提到了使用悬浮滑板的名人。
Yeah. She mentioned two celebrities – singers Lily Allen – who's British.
她提到了两个名人,英国歌手莉莉艾伦,
And Justin Bieber - he's from Canada.
以及加拿大歌手贾斯汀比伯。
So people are using hoverboards all over the world.
所以世界各地都有使用悬浮滑板的人。
Neil, you were telling me about a guy you saw last weekend.
你之前还提到上周末看到一个人在骑悬浮滑板。
Yes, I was at a shopping centre and there were all these kids – teenagers - watching this guy using a hoverboard.
是的,那时我在购物中心,一群孩子看那个人骑悬浮滑板。
Of course they all wanted to try it.
他们也想试一试。
You could hear them shouting: "Can I have a go? Can I have a go? Can I have a go?"
一直在喊“我可以试一下吗?我可以试试吗?我可以试试吗?”
Now, to have a go means to try something.
这里“have a go”就是指试一试。
Yes. Now what was our reporter's experience of using a hoverboard?
现在我们来听听Emma Ailes使用悬浮滑板的经历。
How did she get on?
她感觉如何?
Did she learn how to use it?
她学会怎么使用了吗?
Did she enjoy using it?
她喜欢吗?
So overall this is really good fun and I definitely recommend giving it a go.
总体而言悬浮滑板确实很有意思,我强烈推荐大家都试一试。
But there are some downsides.
但也有一些缺点。
It's really heavy, it's illegal to use it on the pavement and it's quite embarrassing being stared at.
它很重,而且在人行道上骑悬浮滑板是非法的。骑它真是备受瞩目,让人有些尴尬。
So are two wheels better than two legs?
两个轮子就比两条腿好使吗?
For me, probably not.
在我看来不然。
So that was the BBC reporter Emma once again.
Emma再次表达了她的观点。
And she tried to use the two wheels of the hoverboard to move around but she said she prefers moving with her two legs.
她尝试两轮的悬浮滑板后,表示自己更喜欢两条腿走路。
But she did say this about using a hoverboard - it's good fun
但是她也说了悬浮滑板很有意思,
and she definitely recommends that people try it – they should give it a go!
强烈推荐人们都尝试一下。
But she said there are also some downsides – some bad things.
但她也表示悬浮滑板有一些缺点,不好的方面。
First, it's heavy.
首先,很重。
Yes, it's not very easy carrying a heavy hoverboard.
是的,携带不方便。
Also when she uses it everyone looks at her and they don't stop looking – they stare at her and she says that's embarrassing.
她使用悬浮滑板时,每个人都看她,他们一直盯着她看,她感觉很尴尬。
And there is one more downside about using a self-balancing scooter, and this is also the answer to our quiz question…
使用自平衡滑板还有另一大缺点。这也是节目开头问题的答案。
I asked if it's true or false that it's illegal to ride a hoverboard on the pavement in the UK.
在英国,人行道上使用悬浮滑板是非法的,这是对还是错?
And I said that it's false.
我认为是假的。
And you are… wrong. It's illegal.
你答错了。这确实是非法的。
There is a law here about that.
有这方面的相关法律。
Yes, I realised I guessed the wrong answer when I heard that clip from Emma's report there.
好吧,听到Emma的讲话时,我就意识到自己答错了。
Yes. Their use is illegal under Section 72 of the Highway Act 1835 for use on the public pavements and roads in the UK.
根据1835年颁布的《高速公路法案》第72条,在英国人行道和公路上使用悬浮滑板都是非法的。
Oh, very impressive, Neil.
让人印象深刻。
Now, you can use a hoverboard, I've heard, on private property if you have permission from the owner but NOT on public pavements and roads.
如果获得业主许可,你可以在其私人领地上使用悬浮滑板,但是不允许在人行道和公路上使用。
OK. Well, next time you see your friend Justin Bieber, Finn, tell him that.
好的,下次见到你的朋友贾斯汀比伯的时候,告诉他这一点。
I will. Now, that's all for today.
我会的。今天的节目就到这里。
Please do join us again soon.
我们下次再会。
Please do.
一定下次再会!
And let's hear the words before we go.
节目结束前我们再听一下今天的单词。
OK. We heard:
好的,我们听到的单词有:
device
装置
balance
平衡
pavement
人行道
scooter
滑板车
skateboard
滑板
celebrities
名人
to get on
进展
to have a go
试一试
illegal
非法
private property
私人财产
That is it now.
就是这些,
And we'll see you next time.
下期节目再会。
Goodbye!
再见。