要不要留胡子呢?
Are beards back to stay?
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English.
大家好,欢迎收听六分钟英语。
I'm Rob…
我是罗伯。
… and I'm Neil. Hello.
大家好,我是尼尔。
Hi there, Neil!
你好,尼尔。
Now, Neil... what's that on your face?
你脸上是什么?
What… this? It's a beard, Rob.
你说什么?哦,胡须啊。
Have you never seen one before?
难不成你之前没见过?
I have.
我当然见过。
But I've never seen one on you before…
但是从来没见过你留胡须。
and I'm surprised to say, it looks good on you!
不得不说,你留胡子很帅。
Well, thank you!
谢谢。
I thought I'd get on the beard bandwagon, you know.
我是赶潮流。
Beards are all the rage at the moment - that means 'very fashionable'.
留胡须在当下风靡一时,也就是说很流行。
And to get on a bandwagon is when you join other people in doing something that has become popular
赶潮流是跟随别人做一件很流行的事。
– perhaps because you hope to become popular yourself!
也许是因为你想要更受欢迎。
Well, that doesn't apply to me, Rob, because, as you know, I'm very popular already.
这对我不适用,因为,你懂得,我已经很受欢迎了。
Yes. Yes, I know that, of course...
好吧,好吧,我知道。
Anyway, beards are such a talking point – a subject that a lot of people are discussing – that we decided to talk about them on today's programme!
总之,胡须就是我们今天节目要讨论的焦点,也就是说一个很多人都在讨论的话题。
So are you ready for today's question, Neil?
准备好回答今天的问题了吗?
What's the name for someone who loves beards? Is it…
我们怎么称呼一个喜欢留胡须的人?
a) barbophile?
a) 恋胡癖?
b) pogonophile?
b) 恋须癖?
or c) pelophile?
还是 c) 恋发癖?
All the answers sound tempting.
所有的选项听起来都像是正确答案。
But I’m going to go for a) barbophile.
我选a) 恋胡癖。
OK, well we'll find out if you're right or wrong later on.
好的,之后我们再看你回答得是否正确。
But this is interesting: a new scientific study suggests that the more beards there are in a population, the less attractive they become
有一个很有趣的现象:一项最新的科学研究表明,胡须越长,对异性的吸引力越小,
– and this currently gives clean-shaven men a competitive advantage.
这使得没有胡须的男士们很占优势。
Oh, no! That's bad news for me, then!
哦不,这真是个坏消息。
Competitive advantage means when a condition or circumstance puts you in a favourable position
优势是指置身于有利地位。
– in this case, being clean-shaven or having no facial hair.
这里的优势是指没有胡须或脸毛。
That's right. We’ve reached 'peak beard' apparently.
没错。显然现在已经到达了“胡子峰值”。
Beard popularity has peaked – or reached its highest point – and will decline in popularity from this point.
留胡须的人口数量达到顶峰,也就是达到最高点,之后就会从这个点开始下降。
OK. Let's listen to writer, Lucinda Hawksley, talking about beards through history.
让我们听听作家露辛达霍思丽谈论胡子的历史。
And listen out for a word that means women's struggle to achieve the same rights and opportunities as men.
注意听一个词,指女性争取与男性相同的权利与机会。
It's interesting, while I was writing the book
有一个很有趣的现象,我写书的时候
I came to realize that the most heavily bearded times in Britain are either when women are in power, such as Elizabeth I or Queen Victoria,
意识到在英国,胡子最盛行的时候要么是女性执政时期,例如伊利莎白一世和维多利亚女王执政时期,
or when there's a big discussion of feminism
要么是女性主义盛行的时期。
- and it is really interesting that in the last few years there's been so much more discussion of feminism.
有意思的是最近几年关于女性主义的讨论越来越激烈。
You get a woman on the throne and men go, 'Oh, got to have a beard.'
当女性登上王位,男性就会嚷嚷“哦,去留胡子吧。”
It's really strange. Or in the 60s or 70s with all the kind of, you know, big thing about women's lib, suddenly the beard becomes huge here.
这真的是很奇怪的现象。六七十年代妇女解放运动盛行,突然间留胡子也盛行起来。
Well, needless to say Lucinda doesn't have a beard, but she certainly knows a lot about them.
不用说露辛达没留胡子,但她真的了解很多。
She's the great great granddaughter of famous writer Charles Dickens,
她是著名作家查尔斯狄更斯的曾重孙。
who sported – or wore – a very flamboyant beard.
狄更斯就留着炫目的大胡子。
Flamboyant means eye-catching and different.
炫目的是指引人注意的,与众不同的。
Now, did you spot the word for women's struggle to achieve the same rights as men?
那你知道那个代表女性争取与男性相同权利的词是什么吗?
Yes. It's feminism.
是女权主义。
She also talks about women's lib, which is short for women's liberation.
她还谈到了妇女解放运动。
And this has a similar meaning to feminism.
这个和女权主义运动异曲同工。
So, what do you think, Neil?
你怎么认为呢?
Are beards a show of testosterone in reaction to powerful women?
你觉得在女性强大的时期,胡子是彰显睾酮的一种方式吗?
Is that why you've grown your beard?
这也是你为什么留胡子的原因吗?
I don't think it's testosterone – that's the main male hormone.
我不觉得是睾酮的原因,那是一种男性激素。
For me, it's laziness.
对我来说,留胡子就是因为懒。
I'm flying the flag for men's lib – liberation from the razor.
我挥舞着男性解放的旗帜,从剃胡刀下解放。
Right. Well, I'm not sure whether that's a worthy cause or not, Neil.
我不确定你这是一项伟大的事业。
Let's hear from Brock Elbank, the photographer behind the exhibition 'Beard'.
我们来听听摄影师布罗克所说的,他举办了一场关于胡子的展览。
He’s talking about one of the people he photographed.
他谈到他镜头下的一个人。
I found Jimmy on a friend's Facebook page whilst I was in Sydney.
我在悉尼时,在一个朋友的脸书上看到吉米。
Invited him to come to my home studio for a portrait
我邀请他来到我的工作室,为他拍照。
and I posted it and it got reblogged over half a million times in four hours.
我把它发到网上,四小时内就被转载五十万次。
I mean when I met Jimmy he told me about his 'beard season' melanoma charity and I was kind of on board from the get go.
吉米跟我提及他的黑素瘤慈善机构“胡子季”,那时起我决定参与其中。
So Jimmy must have a pretty awesome beard!
所以吉米一定留着很帅的胡子。
Indeed. We should check out the Beard exhibition and find out.
没错。我们可以去看看胡子展览,寻找答案。
But Jimmy has a beard for a special reason, right Neil?
但是吉米留胡子有特殊的原因,不是吗?
That's right. Yes.
没错。
Brock mentions Jimmy's melanoma charity.
布罗克提到吉米的黑素瘤慈善机构。
Melanoma is a serious type of skin cancer
黑素瘤是一种很严重的皮肤癌。
and Jimmy is raising money and awareness to help people who suffer from it.
吉米想引起大家的关注,筹资帮助那些患有黑素瘤的人。
And Brock says he was on board from the get go
布罗克说他也参与其中,
– meaning he wanted to be involved with the charity right from the start.
也就是说他想要一开始就参与到慈善当中。
We should also mention 'Movember' and 'Decembeard'
我们还应该谈谈“十一胡子月”和“十二胡子月”。
– both campaigns invite men to get hairy for good causes.
这两项运动给了男士留胡须的正当理由。
That's right, good causes – moustaches in November and beards in December.
没错,十一月留小胡子,十二月留胡须。
Now, let's have the answer to the quiz question.
现在我们回到之前的问题。
I asked: what's the name for someone who loves beards.
我问,一个喜欢胡子的人我们应该如何称呼他。
Was it: a) barbophile b) pogonopile or c) pelophile?
a) 恋胡癖? b) 恋须癖? 还是 c) 恋发癖?
And I said a) barbophile.
我选的是a) 恋胡癖。
Wrong, I'm afraid.
你答错了。
The answer is actually b) pogonophile.
正确答案是b) 恋须癖。
Oh, well, you can't win them all.
好吧,不能总赢。
Now then, Rob, can we hear today's words again?
现在,我们再回忆一下今天听到的单词?
Sure. We heard:
好的,今天提到的单词有:
all the rage
风靡一时
get on a bandwagon
赶潮流
talking point
讨论的焦点
competitive advantage
优势
clean shaven
刮干净的
Peaked
达到峰值
Sport
留着
Flamboyant
炫目的
Feminism
女权主义
women's lib
妇女解放运动
Testosterone
睾酮
Melanoma
黑素瘤
on board from the get go
从一开始参与其中
Well, that's the end of today's 6 Minute English.
今天的六分钟英语就到这里。
We hope it wasn't too hair-raising for you.
希望今天的内容没那么毛骨悚然。
Please join us again soon.
下次我们再会。
Bye.
再见。