厚颜无耻
Barefaced
Hello and welcome to The English We Speak.
大家好,欢迎收听地道英语。
I'm Feifei and joining me today is Rob.
我是菲菲,今天和我一起的是罗布。
Hi everyone.
嗨,大家好。
Ah Feifei, what a lovely day it is today.
啊菲菲,今天是多么美好的一天啊。
What?
什么?
It's raining.
下雨呢。
You seem to be in a good mood.
你看起来心情很好啊。
Yes.
是的。
I've done all my work and the boss has given me the rest of the day off…
我已经把我所有的工作都做完了,今天剩下的时间老板让我放假了。
so I'm off.
所以我要走啦。
Bye.
再见。
Hold on Rob!
等一下罗布。
Could you at least stay and present this programme?
你至少能待在这儿把这个节目做完吧?
Oh OK then.
噢,那好吧。
I suppose there's no rush to go shopping and spend the bonus he's given me is there?
我想我也不急着去购物,不急着把他给我的奖金花掉,对吧?
Oh come on Rob.
噢,得了吧,罗布。
This doesn't sound like our boss.
这听起来不像是我们老板的作风啊。
You're telling me a barefaced lie.
你在对我撒一个没有胡子的脸的谎。
Barefaced?
没有胡子的脸?
No no, this really is my hairy face –
不不,我的脸实际上是毛茸茸的。
look!
看!
No –
不,
the word 'barefaced' can literally mean 'having no beard'
“厚颜无耻”这个词字面意思是“没有胡子”,
but we also use the word to mean 'without any disguise' or 'being deliberately bold and shameless'.
但我们也用这个词来指“没有遮掩”或“故意很无耻”。
So Rob is a 'barefaced liar' because he's obviously telling a lie without any embarrassment.
因此罗布是一个“厚颜无耻的说谎者”,因为他显然是在不知羞耻地说谎。
Sorry Rob, I think you're lying but let's hear some more examples of this phrase…
对不起罗布,我觉得你在撒谎,但让我们再听几个关于这个习语的例子吧…
The company's claim that profits had jumped by ten per cent was obviously a barefaced lie.
公司声称收益增长了10%,这明显是个厚颜无耻的谎言。
John was at the pub last night bragging about his goal-scoring again –
昨晚约翰又在酒吧吹嘘他的进球得分,
but we all know he's a barefaced liar.
但我们都知道他是个厚颜无耻的说谎者。
Someone being barefaced means doing something without shame,
某些人厚颜无耻,就是说他们做某些事的时候不知羞耻,
and Rob –
罗布,
you are being a deliberate and outrageous liar aren't you?
你故意撒了个无耻的谎,对吧?
Oh well, yes, I suppose so -
噢好吧,是的,是这样的,
I was doing it to show you how great I am.
我这样做是为了展示我有多厉害。
Well it didn't work –
然而这并没有什么用——
and I'm going to show you my 'bear' face now.
我现在要让你看看我的“熊”脸了。
Wow that's a real 'bear' face but at least you haven't got a beard –
哇哦,这是真的“熊”脸啊,但起码你没有胡子啊,
although if you did have one,
尽管如果你有胡子的话,
maybe you'd look less… fat?
你看上去也许会…瘦一点?
Huh!
哈!
Barefaced cheek!
厚颜无耻!
Time to go I think.
我想时间到了。
Bye.
再见。
Bye.
再见。