网上购物
Online shopping
Hello, and welcome to 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English.
欢迎来到6分钟英语BBC英语学习栏目。
I'm joined today by Cath.
今天参与我们节目的还有凯斯。
Hi Cath.
你好凯斯。
Hello Rob.
你好罗伯。
Now we're talking about the growing trend in online shopping today.
现在我们讨论一下当下流行的网上购物。
Ah yes, shopping via the internet.
是的,通过网络购物。
That is something I like to do.
这是我喜欢做的事情。
OK, well you're not the only person who likes to shop this way.
不只是你一个人喜欢这样购物。
Millions of people choose to shop online and last week saw the biggest day of the year for doing this – it was called Mega Monday.
数以百万计的人们选择网上购物,而且上周出现了一年中最大网购日“超级星期一”。
More about that soon but first, I've been looking online to find you a question Cath!
稍后我们会继续讨论,但首先,我从网上找到了一个问题要问你凯斯!
Come on then, what is it?
说吧,是什么?
OK, this week's question is – according to an international survey what is the most popular item that's bought online?
我们本周的问题是,一项国际调查显示网购最受欢迎的商品是什么?
Is it:
是:
a) Music – downloaded or on CDs
a)下载或是光盘类的音乐
b) Travel tickets
b)旅游票务
c) Books
c)书籍
I'm going to go for books I think.
我选择书籍。
Well, we'll see if you're right at the end of the programme.
我们将在节目的最后揭晓答案。
But now let's talk more about shopping and particularly online shopping.
现在我们继续讨论一下购物,尤其是网购。
Yes and you mentioned that last week was Mega Monday or Cyber Monday – the biggest day of the year for online shopping.
是的,你提到上周是超级星期一,最大的网购日。
But people are still going out shopping in high streets and shopping centres.
但人们依旧去商业街和购物中心购物。
Yes that's right.
是的。
When we say the high street we mean the main shopping street of the town.
我们提到的high street(商业街)是指市内商业区的购物街。
These places are actually quite busy at the moment with people Christmas shopping.
当人们圣诞购物的时候这些地方都是相当繁忙的。
In the USA, the recent Thanksgiving holiday marked the start of the Christmas shopping season there.
在美国,最近的感恩节假期标志着圣诞节购物季的开始。
The day is also known as Black Friday, where discounts are offered in shops – or stores as the Americans call them.
这一天也被称为黑色星期五(美国的商店这么称呼),商店都会提供折扣。
It's called Black Friday because it's the day when shops go from being in the red – so owing money – to being in the black – making a profit because so many people are going out spending money.
称作黑色星期五是由于这一天商店从亏损(in the red)转为盈利(in the black),因为许多人会在这一天出门购物。
But we're still talking about online shopping.
但我们还是要谈论网购。
And online sales are certainly rising despite the current economic situation.
尽管目前经济形势不佳但网购在增加。
Let's hear from the BBC's Graham Satchell reporting on the affects of Mega Monday on the high street in the UK.
让我们来听听来自BBC记者格雷厄姆·塞彻关于英国商业街超级星期一的播报。
How does he describe what's happening to the high street?
他如何描述商业街正在发生的呢?
The high street is really struggling.
商业街正在苦苦挣扎。
For the third Christmas in a row, sales are expected to be down, this year by 2.1%.
销售额预计将在这连续三年的圣诞节持续下滑,今年下降2.1%。
Instead, more and more of us are shopping online.
相反,越来越多的人正在网上购物。
25% of all Christmas shopping this year will be done over the Internet, up 16% on last year.
今年25%的圣诞购物将通过网购,比去年增加了16%。
And Mega Monday is the busiest day, one estimate suggesting there'll be 3,300 purchases a minute.
超级星期一是最繁忙的一天,一项估计表明一分钟会交易3300件商品。
So Graham Satchell says the high street is struggling – in other words, the shops are finding it difficult to stay in business.
所以格雷厄姆称商业街正在挣扎,换句话说商业街商店的生意难以维持。
That's because sales are down for the third year in a row.
这是因为销售额连续三年下降。
As we heard, a quarter of all Christmas shopping will be done online.
我们刚刚听到,1/4的圣诞购物都将在网上进行。
And last week's Mega Monday saw an estimated 3,300 purchases every minute.
上周的超级星期一每分钟约交易3300件商品。
So, those transactions must add up to a lot of money spent using credit cards.
这些交易肯定会增加很多信用卡花费。
Yes and it's tempting and easy for many people to max out their credit cards – in other words spend up to their credit limit!
这是诱人并且方便的,许多人可以使用信用卡透支,话句话说,可以花费到信贷限额!
And it's true that people are becoming more accustomed to buying things online.
的确,人们越来越习惯网购。
Retailers are making it much easier to buy things over the internet.
零售商也让网购更为便易。
And we can shop now using gadgets like smart phones and tablet devices so we can buy things easily and instantly.
我们可以使用诸如智能手机或平板设备这类小东西网购,所以我们可以迅速便易的购物。
Is that something you've done Rob?
你也这样做么,罗伯?
I do it quite regularly on my smart phone.
我经常用智能手机购物。
OK, let's hear from some shoppers in the English market town of Newark about whether they prefer shopping on the internet or in the shops:
好吧,让我们听听一些在英国集镇纽瓦克的购物者们他们是喜欢网上购物还是在商店购物:
Have done a lot online.
经常在网上购物。
I've got a new-born baby, so it's a lot easier, just sitting at home, doing it.
我刚生完孩子,所以待在家里网购会更加方便。
It's nice and warm and a lot easier.
更为舒适更为方便。
[What do you like about it?]
[你喜欢网购的哪方面呢]
The variety, the choice, the ease; you can stay at home; you can stay at home and flick on your iPad.
它形式多样、可选择多、自在便易;你可以呆在家里;你可以呆在家里开一下你的苹果电脑就能购物。
I've attempted to do it online, today for the first time.
我今天试图首次网购。
But I like to try things on, I like the atmosphere of going into town and shopping, so I don't think it's my cup of tea.
但我喜欢试东西,我喜欢的进入商业区和逛街的氛围,所以我认为它不适合我。
So there are some mixed views about online shopping.
所以,关于网购看法不一。
The first woman thought it was easier - and warmer too because you can stay at home.
第一位女士认为这很便易,因为你可以呆在家里。
Yes, and the second person also thought it was convenient but he also mentioned the variety and the choice of things to buy.
第二位觉得这很方便但他同时也提到了种类多和多选择性。
It's true, you can buy almost anything from your computer.
是的,你几乎可以用你的电脑购买一切东西。
Ah yes but the final woman mentioned that you can't try on clothes.
是啊,但是最后那位女士提到网购时不能试穿衣服。
She liked the atmosphere of going into town and shopping.
她喜欢进入商场和逛街的氛围。
She used a great phrase – she said, "it's not my cup of tea".
她用到了一个短语“it‘s not my cup of tea”。
Yes, she means it's just not for her.
她的意思是这不适合她。
Well, it suits me Rob so please could you hurry up and give me the answer to that question and then I can get back to a bit more online Christmas shopping.
但它很适合我罗伯,你能赶紧告诉我问题的答案吗,这样我就能多点时间去网上圣诞购物了。
OK Cath.
好吧,凯斯。
But will you be making the most popular online purchase?
但是你会购买到网上最受欢迎的物品吗?
That's the question I asked you – according to an international poll by The Neilsen Company,
这正是我问你的那个问题,据尼尔森公司的国际调查,
what is the most popular item that is bought online?
最受欢迎的网购商品是什么呢?
Is it:
是:
a) Music
a)音乐
b) Travel tickets
b)旅游票务
c) Books
c)书籍
I thought it was probably books.
我认为应该是书籍。
And you are right.
你的回答是正确的。
Yes.
是的。
The survey found that 41% of people surveyed bought books online.
调查发现,41%的受访者在网上购书。
Clothes, DVDs and airline tickets were among the other popular items.
服装、DVD和机票也都是受欢迎的商品。
Have you bought any of those online?
你在网上买过这些吗?
Yes, I have.
是的,我买过。
I've definitely bought airline tickets, yes, DVDs – all of those things.
我买过机票、DVD这类东西。
I think I do a bit too much online shopping!
我想我网购的太多了!
It sounds like it!
好像是!
You're very keen!
你非常热衷于网购!
OK Cath, before you get back to your shopping, we've just time for you to remind us of some of the vocabulary that we've heard in today's programme.
好吧凯斯,在你回去购物前,先提示一下今天我们节目中提及的词汇吧。
OK, we had:
好的,我们有:
trend
趋势
the high street
商业街
discounts
折扣
in the black
盈利
struggling
挣扎
estimated
估计
transactions
交易
accustomed
习惯的
retailers
零售商
convenient
便捷
Thanks Cath.
谢谢凯斯。
Please join us again for another 6 Minute English very soon.
下期节目请您继续关注。
Bye.
再见。
Bye!
再见!