猴子的话题
Talking monkeys
Hello, I’m Finn. This is 6 Minute English and I’m joined this week by Neil. Hello Neil.
大家好,我是Finn。这里是6分钟英语,这周和我一起的是Neil。你好Neil。
(Monkey sounds)
(猴子的声音)
Err, Neil?
呃, Neil?
(Monkey sounds)
(猴子的声音)
Neil, are you OK?
Neil,你还好吗?
(Monkey sounds)
(猴子的声音)
Actually that wasn't Neil, you'll be glad to know, he is safe and sound here in the studio with me.
实际上刚才并不是Neil(的声音),你会很高兴的知道他和我一起呆在工作室,很安全。
Hello. Yes, that wonderful sound you just heard was in fact a gelada – a kind of monkey – which we'll be hearing more from later in the programme.
大家好。是的,刚刚你听到的声音其实是狒狒--一种猴子发出来的,再接下来的节目里我们还将听到更多狒狒的声音。
Yes. Could the gelada monkey provide an important clue about the development of human language?
是的。狒狒能提供有关人类语言发展的一个重要的线索吗?
But first, as always, we have a question. Neil – could you please tell me what geladas eat?
但是像往常一样,我们开始前先问个问题。Neil,你能告诉我狒狒吃什么吗?
a) fish
a)鱼
b) grass
b)青草
c) ice-cream
c)冰淇淋
Well, I can see you're trying to trap me with ice-cream here, because the name of the monkey sounds like the Italian word for ice-cream.
好吧,我觉得你在给我设计陷阱,让我选冰淇淋,因为狒狒的名字在意大利语中发音很像冰淇淋。
So, I'm not that stupid, I'm going to go for 'b', grass.
所以,我不上当,我选择b,青草。
Wonderful knowledge of Italian there Neil.
Neil你很懂得意大利语。
Don't worry I'm not trying to make a monkey out of you – I'm not trying to make you look stupid.
不要担心,我并不是在说你是猴子--我也不是说你看起来很笨。
Now let's listen to the gelada monkey again.
现在再让我们听一下狒狒的声音。
(Gelada monkey gurgling)
(狒狒发出咯咯的声音)
How would we describe that sound?
我们该怎样描述这种声音呢?
Well, it sounds a bit like a gargle – a gargling noise.
嗯,听起来有点像漱口液,像漱口的声音。
Yes, it does. Gargle is a great word because it's an example of what we call onomatopoeia – a word which sounds like its meaning.
是的,的确如此。漱口这个词很好,因为这是一个我们称之为“拟声”的例子--就像它字面意思。
Neil, gargle is the word, could you please demonstrate a gargle?
Neil,漱口这个词你能形容一下吗?
(Neil gargles)
(Neil在漱口)
Very good. Neil is gargling – and the sound it makes is a gargle. That's lovely!
很好。Neil正在漱口---漱口的声音就是“gargle”。真是可爱极了!
Can I stop now?
我能停了吗?
Yes, you can stop now. Thank you very much.
是的,你现在 可以停了。非常感谢。
How about another quick example of onomatopoeia.
再快速来一个拟声的例子如何?
(Clicks mouse) A click. Listen again. Click.
(点击鼠标)单击。再听一遍。单击。
Or this, oops:(Crash sound) A crash.
或者是这个,哎呀:(崩溃的声音)崩溃。
Now, anyway, let's get back to the gargling monkey.
现在,无论如何,让我们回到正在漱口的猴子。
Behind the fun sound is some serious science - about the origins, or beginnings, of human speech.
在这个有趣声音的背后是很严肃的科学--关于人类语言的开始。
Scientists from the University of Michigan believe that these gelada calls might be similar to the primitive noises – early and simple sounds – that our evolutionary ancestors made, that is – what we, humans, were before we developed into modern humans.
来自密歇根大学的科学家们相信狒狒们或许可能类似于原始的声音——早期和简单的声音--我们祖先进化的时候--也就是说我们人类在我们进化成现代人之前的声音。
Dr Thore Bergman, who was the main author of the study, said that geladas make sounds which have "speech-like properties" – they have qualities which are like… speech.
Thore Bergman博士,这项研究的主要作者,说狒狒有“类似说话的属性”--他们具有说话的能力。
And the interesting thing is – most monkeys and apes can only make the most basic noises because they don't have the vocal anatomy required .
有趣的是大多数猴子和猿只能发出最基本的声音,因为他们没有声带解剖学要求。
that is they don't have the physical mouth and throat parts needed – to make more complex sounds.
也就是说,他们缺少生理上的嘴巴和嗓子--所以不能发出更复杂的声音。
All other monkeys and apes can do is called lip smacking – rapidly moving their jaws, lips and their tongues.
所有其他的猴子和猿可以吧嗒嘴 — — 迅速移动颚、 嘴唇和舌头。
And I think, Neil, it's time for another demonstration please.
Neil,我认为是时候要请你做另外一个描述了。
(Neil making lip smacking noises)
(Neil 开始吧嗒嘴吧)
Lip smacking, very nice.
嘴巴发出的声音响亮,很好。
The gelada, on the other hand, is the only one that can produce vocalisations – or sounds from the vocal chords in the throat while doing this.
从另一方面说,狒狒是唯一能够能发出那种声音的--或者说当这么做的时候喉咙振动声带。
That’s it! So – lip smacking and vocalisations – together are maybe a possible step between the sounds of other monkeys – and human speech.
就是这样!因此吧嗒嘴巴和发声同时进行可能是连接人类和其他猴子声音的一步。
Though there is a question – the scientists don't know yet what the noises mean exactly.
这是一个问题--至今科学家们仍不知道那些噪音到底是什么意思。
They believe the noises might be used the way humans use small talk – chatting about things that are not really important – to help the monkey societies feel more closely bonded or connected.
他们认为这些噪音可能像人类一样,低声的谈话--谈论一些并不很重要的事--让猴子感觉群体更加团结或联系紧密。
That’s right, so, small talk, things like saying: "Fine day, isn't it?"
是的,小小的谈话,就像是在说“今天天真好,不是吗?”
Not bad, not bad. How are the kids, Finn?
不坏不坏。Finn,孩子们怎么样?
Oh yeah, keeping me awake all night.
呃,他们让我整晚都醒着。
Oh yes, I know the feeling.
是的,我了解那种感觉。
Or as you would say in gelada:(Gelada gargle)
或者你可以用狒狒语说:(狒狒漱口的声音)
I think that's quite enough monkey business for one day – quite enough of us being silly, wouldn't you say?
我觉得我们今天聊了足够多关于猴子的事了。我们也是有够傻的,你觉得呢?
Neil, earlier I asked you what geladas eat. Was it:
Neil,开始的时候我问过你狒狒吃什么。是:
a) fish
a)鱼
b) grass
b)青草
c) ice-cream
c)冰淇淋
And I am not stupid so I'm going to go for 'b' grass.
我不傻,我选b,青草。
And you're right, they are herbivores, they eat grass.
你猜对了,狒狒是食草动物,他们吃青草。
Anyway, before we go let's run through the words and phrases one more time.
不管怎样,让我们再快速浏览下今天的词语。
gargle ;onomatopoeia;origins;primitive noises;evolutionary ancestors;
gargle 漱口 ;onomatopoeia 拟声;origins 开始;primitive noises 原始声音;evolutionary ancestors祖先进化;
vocal anatomy;lip smacking;vocalisations;small talk;monkey business
vocal anatomy 声带解剖学;lip smacking 吧嗒嘴巴;vocalisations发声;small talk谈论不重要的事,但让互相不熟的人了解彼此;monkey business 做事很笨,不诚实
Thanks Neil. Sadly, it's time to go.
谢谢Neil。令人难过的事要说拜拜了。
So please join us again soon for more 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English.
请继续加入我们BBC6分钟英语。
(Gargle).
(漱口)