一位从来感觉不到疼痛的女性
The woman who feels no pain
She's had her teeth knocked out, broken her arm, suffered serious burns, yet Jo Cameron didn't feel any of it.
她曾经牙齿被打掉、手臂骨折,还有过严重的烧伤,然而乔·卡梅伦却感受不到任何的疼痛。
The 71-year-old retired lecturer has a complete lack of pain sensitivity.
这位 71 岁的退休讲师对疼痛完全不敏感。
I put my arm on something and only realise it's burning when I can smell flesh burning - so it's not clumsiness.
我把胳膊放在一个东西上,只有当我闻到肉烧焦的味道时,才意识到胳膊被烫伤了,所以并不是因为我笨手笨脚。
The normal reaction is you cut yourself or burn yourself once, maybe twice, then you avoid that because your brain says 'don't do that'.
正常的反应是,只要割伤或烫伤自己一两次,你就会避免再次受伤。
Well, my brain doesn't say 'don't do that'.
Well, my brain doesn't say 'don't do that'.
This is Jo with her husband and doctor eating super-hot chillies - a breeze for her.
乔正与丈夫和医生一起吃超辣的辣椒,这对她来说是小菜一碟。
Scientists have analysed her genes and found she has two DNA mutations.
科学家们在分析了她的基因之后发现她的两个 DNA 发生了突变。
One seems to silence the response to pain and boost mood receptors in the brain.
第一个能抑制对疼痛的反应,并增强大脑中影响情绪的受体。
It is hoped the discovery could help others.
他们希望这一发现能帮助其他人。
What we found is actually a new genetic mechanism that seems to be able to regulate pain thresholds
我们发现的实际上是一种似乎能调节痛阈的新型遗传机制
and what we hope to do in the future is exploit this knowledge to perhaps develop new treatments for the millions of people that suffer ongoing chronic pain.
我们希望在未来能充分利用这一知识,为数百万饱受慢性疼痛折磨的人开发全新的治疗方法。
I can't stop being happy and I do forget things.
我总是非常开心,不过我会经常忘事。
Jo's unusual gene mutations also boost her spirits and she's never felt anxious, but it also affects memory.
乔不同寻常的基因突变还让她精神振奋,她从未感到焦虑,但这也会影响记忆力。
She has always been forgetful, but it's her inability to feel pain which most fascinates scientists and may ultimately help others.
虽然她健忘,但最让科学家们着迷的是她无法感受到疼痛,这最终也许能帮到其他人。