美国国家电影档案
US National Film Registry
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English.
欢迎来到BBC英语学习的6分钟英语栏目。
I'm Neil andwith me today is Jennifer.
我是尼尔,今天跟我一起的是珍妮弗。
Hi Neil.
你好,尼尔。
Now we're talking about films today.
现在我们讨论今天的电影。
Are you a film buff, Jennifer?
你是一个电影迷吗,珍妮弗?
A buff is someone who's very interested in a certain subject and knows a lot about it.
一个迷就是对某些事物很感兴趣并很了解它们的人。
I do like watching films both at the cinema and at home, but I wouldn't really say I'm a film buff because I don't have a lot of knowledge.
我确实很喜欢在电影院和家里看电影,但是我真的不能说我是个影迷,因为我没有很多相关的知识。
What about you Neil?
你怎么样呢,尼尔?
Likewise, I do enjoy the cinema; though Hollywood movies aren't really my favourite.
同样,我也很享受看电影;尽管好莱坞电影并不真的是我最喜欢的。
I do like a good art-house film though.
然而我真的很喜欢优秀的艺术性影片。
The movies we're talking about in today's programme aren't any old films.
在今天的栏目中我们所讨论的电影并不是任何的老电影。
We're talking about the United States National Film Registry.
我们谈论的是美国国家电影档案。
But before we get onto that I have a quiz question for you,Jennifer.
但在我们开始之前,我有一个测验的问题,珍妮弗。
Are you ready?
你准备好了吗?
Go on then.
那么继续。
Taking into account inflation, which is the amount money loses value over time, which film has made more money than any other in the history of cinema?
考虑到通货膨胀——大量的金钱随着时间而贬值,哪部电影有史以来赚钱最多?
Is it: a) Avatar
它是a)《阿凡达》
b) Gone with the Wind
b)《乱世佳人》
c) Titanic
c)《泰坦尼克号》
That's a difficult one but I think it will be 'Titanic'.
那很困难,但是我认为它是《泰坦尼克号》。
I remember it coming out in the cinema around 1998 and everyone I knew would have to go and see it.
我记得它在1998年在电影院上映,我所知道的每个人都去观看了。
So I think it must be that one.
所以我认为是它。
Well, we'll find out the answer to that at the end of the programme.
好吧,我们将在节目的最后揭晓答案。
Now, before that question, I was talking about the United States National Film Registry.
这个问题之前,我谈及美国国家电影档案。
Every year it adds about twenty-five titles to its list.
每年它向名单中添加了大约25项电影。
The films aren't always famous blockbusters and sometimes haven't been seen for decades.
这些电影并不总是著名的大片,有些是几十年没有见过的。
That's true, the films aren't always famous blockbusters – a blockbuster is usually an American film which makes lots of money.
这是真的,这些电影并不总是著名的大片——大片通常是赚了不少钱的美国电影。
But the films do have this in common: it's been decided that they are all of lasting cultural, historical and aesthetic importance.
但是这些电影确实有个共同点:它们是由悠久的文化、历史和审美的重要意义所决定的。
Yes, the US National Film Registry has decided that all the films are of lasting cultural and historical importance for the United Stated.
是的,美国国家电影档案的评判标准就是所有的电影都具有美国的悠久的文化和历史的重要意义。
They're also beautiful and artistic – so they're 'of aesthetic importance'.
它们很美丽和充满艺术性,所以它们都具有“重要的审美意义”。
Here's more from the BBC's Arts Reporter, Vincent Dowd
这里有更多BBC的艺术记者文森特·多德的报道。
Seventy years on the US National Film Registry has placed it on its list of historically important American films.
美国国家电影档案已经把七十年来具有重要历史意义的美国电影放入列表中。
The list's been going since 1989 and around 25 titles are added annually.
列表自1989年开始编辑,每年大约有25部被添加进去。
In part it's to ensure they get the highest level of preservation: not really a problem with a much rereleased Disney classic.
在一定程度上是为了确保保持最高水平:有太多的经典迪士尼并不是一个真正的问题。
But even well-known films sometimes need securing for posterity.
但即使知名电影有时也需要为子孙后代而保留。
That was the BBC's Arts Reporter, Vincent Dowd.
这是BBC的艺术记者文森特·多德。
He was talking about 'Bambi' which is seventy years old but it's just been added to the Registry's list, although the list was started in about 1989. '
他是在讨论拥有七十年历史的“小鹿斑比”,尽管列表是在1989年开始的,但是它还是被添加到登记表中。
Bambi' is an animated film.
《小鹿斑比》是一部动画片。
You know, Jennifer, I think it was one of the first films my parents took me to see – so for me anyway it's of historical importance!
你知道,珍妮弗,我认为这是我父母带我去看的最早的电影之一,所以对我来说它很有历史意义!
Do you remember what you thought of it at the time?
你还记得您对它的感想吗?
Well for those listeners who haven't seen it, Bambi is a little deer who becomes orphaned, meaning its parents died.
对于那些没有看过的听众来说,斑比是一头成为孤儿的小鹿,意味着它的父母都去世了。
I was tiny, but I loved it and learned important lessons from it about grief, family and friends.
我年纪很小,但是我喜欢它,并从它身上学到了关于悲伤、家庭和朋友的重要经验教训。
Grief is a feeling of great sadness.
不幸是一种很悲伤的感觉。
Well, perhaps I'd better watch it.
好吧,也许我该看看它。
What, you mean you've never seen 'Bambi'?!
什么,你说你从没有看过《小鹿斑比》?
I can't believe that!
我简直不能相信!
You've got to go home and watch it immediately!
你要回家后立即观看它!
OK I will, though it sounds like it might make me cry!
好的,我会的,虽然听起来它可能会让我哭泣!
I think there's no shame in crying about Bambi!
我觉得看斑比而感动流泪也没什么大不了的!
Now luckily for you, Jennifer, the US National Film Registry helps to make such old films available to future generations by looking after them in the best way possible.
现在对你来说是幸运的,珍妮佛,美国国家电影登记处使得后代查阅它后能看到这样的老电影的最佳方法。
As the reporter Vincent Dowd said: films "get the highest level of preservation"
当记者文森特·杜德说:电影“获得最高水平的保存”。
He says "even well-known films need securing for posterity".
他说“即使知名电影需要为子孙后代保留”。
That's right, even famous films need to be made safe – or secure - for future generations, or as the reporter said: "for posterity".
没错,甚至著名的电影需要做出安全或保护——对未来几代人,或当记者说:“为子孙后代”。
And let's just listen to that clip from the BBC's Arts Reporter Vincent Dowd once again:
让我们再来听听这段BBC的艺术记者文森特·多德的报道:
Seventy years on the US National Film Registry has placed it on its list of historically important American films.
美国国家电影档案已经把七十年来具有重要历史意义的美国电影放在列表中。
The list's been going since 1989 and around 25 titles are added annually.
列表自1989年开始编辑,每年大约有25部被添加。
In part it's to ensure they get the highest level of preservation: not really a problem with a much rereleased Disney classic.
在一定程度上是为了确保保持最高水平的保存:有太多的经典迪士尼并不是一个真正的问题。
But even well-known films sometimes need securing for posterity.
但即使知名电影有时也需要为子孙后代而保留。
That was the BBC's Arts Reporter Vincent Dowd talking about the film 'Bambi'.
这是BBC的艺术记者文森特·多德在谈论电影《小鹿斑比》。
Well, we had a look at the list to find out which films were on it before the latest 2011 additions.
我们看看列表来找出哪些电影是2011年前最新添加的电影。
And Jennifer has a few titles for us, of films which caught her eye.
詹妮弗有几个题目要告诉我们,这几个电影吸引了她的目光。
Tell us about an early film memory.
告诉我们一段早年的电影记忆。
Well, an early film memory for me is 'ET', which was made in 1982 and added to the registry in 1994.
好吧,我的早年的电影记忆是《ET》,它是在1982年制作,并在1994年被添加到登记处中。
It's about an alien which lands on earth and befriends a young boy.
它讲述的是一个外星人降落到地球,并和一个年轻男孩成为了朋友。
I like it because it's a real heart-warming tale of friendship and it's a great story.
我喜欢它是因为它是部关于友情的很感人的电影,它是一个伟大的故事。
Anything else on the list you like?
你还喜欢列表上的其他电影吗?
The Sound of Music' from 1965.
1965年的音乐之声。
That was added to the registry in 2001.
它在2001年被添加到列表。
It's a musical about a nun that looks after a family and it's great fun.
这是一部音乐片讲述一个修女照顾家庭,这很有趣。
And then as a complete contrast there's 'Psycho' from 1960 which was added to the registry in 1992.
然后作为一个完全相反的题材,1960年的《惊魂记》在1992年添加到列表中。
It's a thriller and it's really scary.
它是一部惊险小说,它真的很吓人。
Yes it's absolutely terrifying, isn't it?
是的,这绝对很可怕,不是吗?
Well, we've just got time now for the answer to the quiz question I asked you at the beginning.
现在我们是时候揭晓在开始时我问你的测试题的答案了。
It was: taking into account inflation, which film has made more money than any other in the history of cinema?
问题是:考虑到通货膨胀,哪部电影是有史以来最赚钱的电影?
Is it:a) Avatar
它是:a)《阿凡达》
b) Gone with the Wind
b)乱世佳人
c) Titanic
c)泰坦尼克号
Well I said, I thought it would be 'Titanic'.
好吧,我认为它是“泰坦尼克号”。
And you were wrong, I'm afraid.
恐怕你错了。
The answer is 'Gone with the Wind', which didn't make as much money as 'Avatar', but if you take into account inflation it has.
答案是《乱世佳人》,它赚得钱不比《阿凡达》多,但考虑到通货膨胀,它就是了。
Thank you for joining us and listen to more 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English.
谢谢你来参加我们的节目,收听更多的BBC学习英语的6分钟英语。
Bye!
再见!
Bye
再见!