微工人
Microworker
Hello and welcome to The English We Speak with me, Feifei…
大家好,欢迎来到BBC《地道英语》节目,我是菲菲……
…and me, Neil.
……我是尼尔。
Er… Neil, can you stop playing around on that computer and concentrate?
呃,尼尔,你能不能别再玩那台电脑了?
In this programme, we have a new word connected to the worlds of technology and work.
在这期节目中,我们要介绍一个与科技和工作相关的新词。
It's used to describe a kind of worker who provides an essential service for the smooth-running of all things web-based. A microworker.
它被用来描述那些基于为各种网络平台的平稳运行提供基本服务的员工——“a microworker”。
A microworker?
一个微型工作者?
Isn't that someone who makes microwave ovens?
不是那个做微波炉的人吗?
No, Neil, though it does have the same prefix – 'micro'.
不,尼尔,虽然它们有相同的前缀“微”。
Ah yes – and the word 'micro' used as a prefix, indicates that something is small.
啊,是的。还有“微”这个词用作前缀,表示某物是小的。
But we're not talking about small workers, we're talking about small digital tasks that computers can't do on their own.
但我们说的不是小工人,我们谈论的是计算机自己无法完成的小型数字任务。
Neil, stop typing!
尼尔别打字了!
Sorry… These might be things like drawing around a digital image of a face to help train artificial intelligence systems to recognise people.
抱歉……这些可能就像画一张人脸的数字图像,以帮助训练人工智能系统识别人。
That's right – microworkers perform simple, repetitive digital tasks that help improve algorithms.
没错,“microworkers ”的表现很简单,重复的数字任务,帮助改进算法。
Let's hear some examples.
让我们来听几个例子。
Since the recession, lots of people who lost their jobs have earned cash as microworkers.
自经济衰退以来,许多失去工作的人作为微型工作者赚到了钱。
Some of the biggest tech giants have use microworkers to help develop their systems.
一些最大的科技巨头已经利用微工人来帮助开发他们的系统。
Some complain it's badly paid, but other like the flexibility of microwork.
有人抱怨工资很低,但是其他人喜欢微工作的灵活性。
You're listening to The English We Speak from BBC Learning English.
欢迎收听BBC《地道英语》节目。
In this programme, we're looking at the word 'microworker'.
本期节目中,我们来学习“microworker”这个词。
It describes people who earn money from performing simple, repetitive digital tasks that help develop computer systems.
它所指的是那些通过从事简单、重复的数字任务帮助开发计算机系统而赚钱的“微工人”。
As we've heard, microwork isn't a full-time job.
就像我们听说的,微型工作不是全职工作。
It's something people can do as much or little as they want, when they want.
人们可以在想做的时候,随心所欲地做这件事。
On the other side, it's not very well paid or secure.
另一方面,报酬不高也不安全。
Right, are we done?
好了,节目完成了吗?
Yes.
是的。
What are you doing that's so important?
你在做什么事情这么重要?
Oh you know, just earning a little bit of extra cash as a microworker.
哦,你知道,只是作为一名微型工作者赚点外快。
Bye!
拜拜!