东奔西跑
From pillar to post
Hello and welcome to The English We Speak. I'm Feifei but where is Rob?
大家好,欢迎来到BBC地道英语。我是菲菲,不过罗伯在哪儿呢?
Sorry, Feifei. I didn't know we were in this studio today.
不好意思,菲菲。我不知道我们今天在这个录音室。
Yes. Studio 62D. It says it on this plan.
是的,在62D录音室,这个座位安排上有说明。
Really? The studios and offices are being refurbished and everything seems a bit chaotic.
是吗?最近我们的录音室和办公室都在装修,到处都比较乱。
As long as we follow the plan we will be OK.
只要我们按照座位安排来,一切都没问题。
Calm down, Rob. Are things really that bad?
淡定,罗伯,事情有那么糟糕吗?
Yes! First I sat at my desk and was told to move to another one.
当然!起初我坐在自己的座位上,有人告诉我要移到另一个位置上。
And then I sat at another desk, I was told the boss was sitting there…
之后我挪到另一个位置上,又有人跟我说那是老板的位置……
…so you had to move on.
……所以你还得挪位置。
Well, of course!
是的呀!
And then when I went to the studio, somebody was in there, reading the news!
之后我去录音室,结果有人在里面播新闻!
So I was told to find another studio…
所以别人告诉我去找别的录音室……
Yes, yes, I get it, Rob.
是的是的,我知道了,罗伯。
You could say you were moved from pillar to post.
可以说你是“move from pillar to post”
Exactly. You mean, going from one place to another in a disorganised and chaotic way?
确实。你的意思是混乱匆忙地从一个地方到另一个地方?
I do. Let's hear some examples of this phrase in action…
是的,我们来听几个实际中的例子吧。
We got moved from pillar to post on our tour so we started to complain – it's not what was promised in the holiday brochure!
这此次旅行,我们一路上急急忙忙东奔西跑,所以要抱怨一下——这可不是度假手册上说的呀
As a child, both my parents worked, so I got dragged from pillar to post trying to find someone to look after me.
小时候父母要工作,所以我只能从这家到那家,找人来照看我。
I was passed from pillar to post when I phoned the bank to try and pay my credit card bill.
我给银行打电话还信用卡的时候,却四处奔波、到处打听。
This is The English We Speak from BBC Learning English and I'm with Rob, who's been moved from pillar to post.
这里是BBC地道英语,我和罗伯在一起录节目,他今天一直“move from pillar to post”。
That means moving from one place to another in a disorganised and chaotic way.
这个短语的意思是从一个地方跑到另一个地方,匆匆忙忙,毫无章法。
But, Rob, things don't have to be chaotic.
不过,罗伯,事情不一定必须混乱无序。
Why's that?
为什么这样说?
If you just follow the temporary plan. It tells you where to sit and which studio to use.
如果你按照临时座位安排坐,上面说明了我们的座位和录音室。
OK. Let's have a look.
好吧,我们看一看。
Right – so we're meant to be in this studio – 62D.
是的——所以我们应该在62D录音室。
Yes! And where is your desk?
是的!你的座位是哪里呢?
Err, oh no, my desk is right behind a pillar!
呃……不对,我的座位在柱子正后面!
Nobody will be able to see me now. I'll have nobody to talk to.
现在没人能看见我了,我也没人可聊天。
Oh, I think this office refurbishment is going to be really good!
哦,我觉得这次办公室装修真的非常好!
Thanks. Are we at the end of the programme now?
谢谢,我们节目现在要结束了吗?
Yes. Bye.
是的,拜拜。
Bye bye.
拜拜。