“帽子合适你就戴上吧”
If the cap fits
Welcome to The English We Speak. Hello I'm Feifei…
大家好,欢迎来到BBC地道英语,我是菲菲……
…and hello, I'm Rob. Feifei, why the sad face?
哈喽,我是罗伯。菲菲,你怎么不高兴呀?
It's not a sad face, it's an angry face.
我这不是不高兴,我是生气。
Oh no, has someone upset you?
哦,天哪,谁惹你了吗?
They sure have.
确实有人惹我。
I've just overheard Neil saying I have no fashion sense – he says I dress like I'm living in the 1980s!
我无意中听见尼尔说我一点都不时尚——他说我穿的像上世纪八十年代的人!
Ouch!
哎呀!
And he says my clothes are uncoordinated and dated!
他说我的衣服都不搭,而且还过时了!
Well, Feifei. I hate to say it, but if the cap fits…
好吧,菲菲。我不想这样说,但是如果“帽子合适的话”……
What cap? I don't wear hats.
什么帽子?我没有戴帽子。
No, Feifei. I mean, the criticism is probably true and you should accept it.
不是的,菲菲。我的意思是,尼尔的批评或许是正确的,你应该接受。
In other words, he's probably right.
换句话说,他说的或许也没错。
Hmm! Rob, I can't believe you agree with Neil!
啊!罗伯,我没想到你居然和他想的一样!
Let's hear some examples, shall we?
我们一起来听几个例子吧,好吗?
My boyfriend calls me messy and untidy - what a cheek!
我男朋友说我邋遢不干净——他真好意思!
Well, if the cap fits.
好吧,如果他说的没错的话……(你就接受批评吧)
You say your teacher thinks you're lazy because you never do your homework? Well, if the cap fits!
你说你的老师觉得你很懒,因为你从不做家庭作业?好吧,如果老师说的没错的话……(你还是接受批评吧)
They think I ate all the biscuits because I was the only one in the kitchen last night.
他们觉得是我把饼干吃完了,因为昨天晚上只有我在厨房。
Well, if the cap fits!
好吧,要是他们说的没错的话……(你就承认了吧)
This is The English We Speak from BBC Learning English and we're finding out about the phrase 'if the cap fits',
这里是BBC地道英语栏目,我们正在讨论短语“if the cap fits”的含义。
which means you agree with someone's criticism or an opinion about someone else - and they should accept it.
这个短语是指“你同意别人对他人提出的批评或意见,并认为被批评的人应当接受”。
But Feifei, you're claiming you can't accept what Neil said about your fashion sense.
但是菲菲,你说你不接受尼尔对你的时尚感的评价。
So you're saying, the cap doesn't fit?
所以你的意思是,“这顶帽子”(这个批评)不合适喽?
Exactly. But Neil is rude, unkind and tactless.
当然。不过尼尔的态度太差了,一点都不友好,说话不经大脑。
Absolutely!
确实!
And you are the same for agreeing with him. So Rob, 'if the cap fits'…
但是你的想法和他一样。所以说,罗伯,如果我说的没错……
I know… I should wear it!
我知道……我会接受批评的!
Actually, Feifei, your clothes aren't that bad. You look very fashionable in fact.
实际上,菲菲,你的衣品也没有那么差了。你看起来还是很时髦的。
You're a hypocrite too. Rob, keep wearing that cap!
你又开始做“伪君子”了。罗伯,接受我的批评吧!
Fair enough. See ya.
好吧。拜拜~
Bye.
拜~