这回你该长记性了!
That'll teach you!
Hello, and welcome to The English We Speak with me, Neil and errr… where's Feifei?
大家好,欢迎和我一起听今天的地道英语,尼尔和…菲菲哪里去了?
…sorry I'm late.
…抱歉我迟到了。
Hello!
大家好!
Goodness, it's not like you to be late.
天哪,迟到可不是你的作风。
You're always so punctual and… smartly dressed.
你总是那么准时且…穿着得体。
But today you look a mess - if you don't mind me saying.
但你今天看上去一团糟啊——如果你不介意我这么说的话。
I do mind you saying, Neil.
我确实介意你这么说,尼尔。
It's been a very stressful morning.
这是一个压力山大的早晨。
I didn't have time to shower, iron my clothes or even have breakfast.
我没有时间洗澡,熨衣服,甚至吃早饭。
Hmm, did you get up late by any chance?
嗯,那你是起晚了吗?
Yes, you're right.
对,你说对了。
I forgot to set my alarm last night.
我昨晚忘了定闹钟了。
So I overslept!
所以睡过头了!
Has this got anything to do with you going out last night?
这和你昨晚外出有关系吗?
I suppose you're going to tell me you had such a great time, you stayed out later than expected?
我想你会告诉我你玩得很开心,回家比预计的要晚?
Yes, how did you guess?
对,你是怎么猜到的?
I had one of the best nights out for a long time –
这是我很长一段时间以来,度过的最美好的夜晚之一,
but I'm regretting it now!
可我现在后悔了!
Ah well, that'll teach you for staying out late – enjoying yourself!
啊好吧,关于回家晚这件事,可“会教给你”——玩得愉快!
That'll teach me'?
“会教给我”?
I'm not going to school –
我又不去学校——
nobody is going to 'teach me' not to stay out late.
没有人会“教我”不要在外面待到很晚。
It's just a saying, Feifei.
这只是一句俗语,菲菲。
You might say it to someone to suggest that they should learn the bad effects of doing something and not repeat it in the future.
你可能会对某人说,建议他们学到做某事的坏影响,而不是在未来又重复犯错。
In other words, your stress this morning is a suitable punishment for staying out late last night –
换句话说,你今早的压力是昨晚在外面待太晚的适当惩罚——
you won't do it again.
你不会再这么做了。
You sound like my parents!
你听上去就像我爸妈一样!
These examples might explain the phrase better…
这些例子也许可以更好地解释这个短语……
You lent some money to Dan and he didn't pay you back – that'll teach you!
你借了一些钱给丹,他没有还——这回你该长记性了!
My brother got a speeding ticket for driving too fast down the High Street – that'll teach him!
我哥哥因在主要商业街上超速开车被开了超速罚单——这回他该长记性了!
The footballer got a red card for his bad tackle and now he'll miss playing in the final – that'll teach him!
那个足球运动员因为他恶劣的铲球得到一张红牌,现在他失去参加决赛的机会了——这回他该长记性了!
This is The English We Speak from BBC Learning English and we're hearing about the phrase 'that'll teach you' which is said to someone to mean they should learn from the bad effects of what they've done.
这里是BBC英语教学的地道英语,我们正在听“这回他该长记性了”这个短语,意思是对某人说,他们应该从自己所做的事带来的恶果中吸取教训。
I guess we could also say 'it serves you right!'?
我猜我们也可以说“自作自受”吧?
Yes, it's a very informal but blunt way of saying 'your suffering is your own fault'.
对,这种说法虽不正式,但很直率,意思是“自作自受”。
And for you it's true.
对你来说,这是真的。
But do you know what, Neil –
但你知道吗尼尔——
despite my suffering, I had a really good night out.
尽管痛苦,但我度过了一个愉快的夜晚。
Oh did you?
噢是吗?
And who did you have this 'great night out' with?
你和谁一起度过的“美好夜晚”呢?
Everyone from the office.
办公室里的每一个人啊。
We all went to the pub and then onto a nightclub.
我们都去了酒吧,然后去了夜总会。
That'll teach you for leaving the office early, Neil.
你离开办公室那么早,这回长记性了吧,尼尔。
You left too early and you missed out!
你离开的太早所以错过了!
Hmm,that's enough teaching for one day.
嗯,这足够教一天了。
I'm off.
我走了。
Bye!
再见!