开溜
Do a runner
Welcome to The English We Speak, I'm Feifei...
欢迎收听地道英语,我是菲菲……
And I'm Rob.
我是罗布。
Quick Feifei, shut that door.
快点菲菲,把门关上。
OK, calm down Rob, what's the problem?
好的,平静一下罗布,怎么了?
Well there's something going on in the office –
办公室里发生了一些事情,
everyone's shouting and arguing about who broke the computer –
每个人都在喊,争论是谁把电脑弄坏的——
you know, the new one with all that fancy software on it.
你知道的,就是那台新电脑,所有酷炫的软件都在上面。
Oh yes, that really expensive one.
噢对,就是那台真的很贵的电脑。
So you've run away from the situation –
所以你从这个状况里跑开了,
that makes you look very guilty.
这让你看上去很内疚。
Well, that's true –
嗯,对——
but the problem is, I am guilty.
但问题是,我很内疚。
But the boss seemed so angry, I thought it best to… well… sort of…
但是老板看上去很生气,我觉得最好还是……嗯……有点……
Do a runner!
开溜!
If you mean to leave a place in order to avoid a difficult or unpleasant situation –
如果你是说为了避免困难或者不愉快的处境而离开一个地方,
then I suppose you're right.
那我想你是对的。
I am!
是的!
Oh no, is someone coming?
噢不,有人来了吗?
I'll just hide under the desk while we hear some examples of this phrase in action…
我要藏到桌子底下,同时让我们听听这个短语是怎么用的……
The new trainee did a runner after the first day –
才过了第一天,这个新实习生就开溜了,
I don't think he could cope with the high-pressure environment.
我觉得他不能应对这种高压环境。
When they started to blame me for the mistake,
当你为了这个错误而责备我的时候,
I felt it best to do a runner and keep out of the way.
我觉得我最好开溜,避开它。
So that's the phrase, to do a runner,
所以这就是这个短语,开溜,
which means leave a place quickly in order to avoid a difficult or unpleasant situation.
意思是为了躲避困难或不愉快的境况而快速离开某个地方。
But Rob, this phrase has another similar meaning too?
但是罗布,这个短语也有另外一个相似的意思吧?
Yes,you can 'do a runner' from a place to avoid paying for something.
对,你可以为了躲避付款而从一个地方“开溜”。
Like a restaurant.
比如一家餐厅。
Have you done that Rob?
你干过这样的事情吗罗布?
Of course not!
当然没有!
You know how honest I am.
你知道我有多诚实的。
Honest?
诚实?
Is that why you are hiding in this studio,
这就是你为何躲在演播室里,
rather than admit you broke the new computer?
而不是承认你弄坏了那台新电脑?
Well, it was an accident.
好吧,这是一个意外。
Oh no... the boss is heading straight for the studio.
噢不……老板径直朝演播室走过来了。
I had better dash… see ya.
我最好赶紧离开……再见。
Bye Rob.
再见罗布。
It looks like he's done a runner... again.
看起来他又“开溜”了。
Bye.
再见。