睁眼说瞎话
To lie through your teeth
Hello and welcome to The English We Speak.
大家好,欢迎收听地道英语。
I'm Helen and joining me today is Rob.
我是海伦,今天和我一起的是罗布。
Hello.
大家好。
Hey, have you heard Neil's good news?
嘿,你有没有听说尼尔的好消息呀?
No, what's that?
没有,什么呀?
Well, he ran in the London Marathon and he came first!
他参加了伦敦马拉松,还拿了第一名!
That's impossible.
不可能吧。
Well I know it's hard to believe
好吧,我知道这令人难以置信,
but he has been training very hard and he's quite a fast runner.
但他训练特别刻苦,而且他确实跑得很快。
Sorry Rob –
抱歉,罗布——
he's lying through his teeth –
他这是睁眼说瞎话啊——
he went to the cinema on Sunday!
他周日去电影院了!
Oh, did he really?
噢,真的吗?
Well, you've just used a perfect phrase –
好吧,你刚刚用了一个很好的习语——
to lie through your teeth' –
“睁眼说瞎话”——
it means to tell someone something that's completely untrue.
意思是告诉别人完全不真实的事情。
That's why I said it!
这就是我为什么要这么说!
So he's giving you false information.
他告诉你的事情是假的。
Yes, I'm going to have words with him –
嗯,我要去和他谈谈——
but before I do,
但在此之前,
let's hear some more examples of this phrase…
让我们先来听几个关于这个短语的例子吧…
When she said she was nearly 30 years old,
她说自己近30岁的时候,
I knew she was lying through her teeth!
我就知道她是在睁眼说瞎话!
They promised we'd get free drinks every day at our hotel
他们承诺在酒店里,我们每天都有免费的饮料喝,
but they were lying through their teeth.
但他们是在睁眼说瞎话。
He lied through his teeth when he said he bought her an expensive engagement ring –
他说为她买了一枚昂贵的订婚戒指,这是睁眼说瞎话——
it was just a cheap one from the catalogue.
那只是商品目录里一枚便宜的戒指。
So, 'to lie through your teeth' means to say something that's false.
所以“睁眼说瞎话”的意思就是说假话。
Neil was telling an outrageous lie,
尼尔撒的谎这么离谱,
I can't believe you fell for it.
没想到你就轻易相信了。
Well actually,
嗯,事实上,
it was me who was lying through my teeth.
睁眼说瞎话的那个人是我。
Neil didn't tell me he'd won the marathon –
尼尔没有告诉我他赢得了马拉松赛——
it was a trick to find out where Neil really was on Sunday –
这只是弄清楚尼尔星期天究竟去了哪儿的小把戏啦——
and now you've told me –
你已经告诉我啦——
he was at the cinema on his own!
他自己去了电影院!
Thanks very much.
太谢谢你啦。
Well, to be honest, he wasn't alone at the cinema –
嗯,说实话,他不是单独去的电影院——
he went with me but we forgot to invite you.
他是和我一起去的,但是我们忘记邀请你了。
Sorry!
对不起呀!
You liar!
你这个骗子!
It was just a little white lie –
这只是一个小小的善意的谎言——
a lie that's told just to avoid upsetting someone.
撒这个谎以免有人会不开心。
Well it hasn't worked.
但这没用。
I'm off.
我走了。
Good bye!
再见!
Oh dear, Rob.
天哪,罗布。