孤独
Loneliness
Hello. Welcome to 6 Minute English, I'm Neil.
大家好。欢迎来到六分钟英语,我是尼尔。
And I'm Sam.
我是萨姆。
And we are sitting here in New Broadcasting House, in the middle of London.
我们现在坐在位于伦敦中心的新广播大楼。
Would you say, Sam, that this is an isolated place?
萨姆,你会说这是一个与世隔绝的地方吗?
Oh, no, not at all.
噢,不,一点也不。
Isolated' means far away from other places and people.
“隔绝的”指的是远离其它地方和人群。
Does that mean then, do you think, that you can't be lonely here, with all these people around and all these things to do?
那么你认为那指的是在这里和这些人一起做事情不会孤独吗?
Ah, good question.
啊,问得好。
Can you be lonely in a crowd?
你在一群人中间会感觉孤独吗?
Yes, of course, I think you can be because being lonely isn't about physical isolation.
是的,当然,我觉得你会感到孤独,因为孤独并不是身体上的孤立。
I think you can be lonely anywhere if you feel that you are disconnected from the world around you, if you feel that no one understands you.
如果你感觉自己和你周围的世界孤立开来,如果你感觉没有人理解你,那我觉得你在任何地方都是孤独的。
If you are living happily in isolation in The Scottish Highlands, for example, I'm sure you could feel lonely if you came here to London.
举个例子,如果你开心地住在与世隔绝的苏格兰高地,那我确定你来伦敦这里会感到孤独。
Well, loneliness is today's topic.
好吧,孤独是今天的主题。
The BBC has just completed a big survey about it which we will learn more about shortly.
BBC刚刚完成一项关于这个主题的大调查,我们将会很快了解到更多。
But first, of course, a question:
但是首先当然有一个问题:
Where is the most isolated inhabited place on the planet by which I mean the place furthest away from anywhere else with the fewest people living there.
哪里是地球上最与世隔绝的栖息地?我指的是离其它任何地方都很远的地方,住在那里的人也最少。
Is it: a) McMurdo Station in Antarctica b) Siwa Oasis in Egypt's Western Desert, or is it c) the island of Tristan da Cunha in the South Atlantic?
是a)南极洲的麦克默多站 b)埃及西部沙漠的西瓦绿洲 还是c)南大西洋的特里斯坦达库尼亚岛?
What do you think, Sam?
你认为是什么,萨姆?
I've got absolutely no idea, so this is just a guess.
我完全没想法,所以这只能猜了。
I think it's the one in Antarctica.
我觉得是南极洲的那个。
I'm going to go with that.
我选那个。
Well, we'll have the answer later on in the programme.
好的,我们稍后将在节目中揭晓答案。
Loneliness is seen as a big problem for the mental health of the population, so much so that the British government has a minister for loneliness.
孤独被视为人口心理健康的一大问题,以至于英国政府设有孤独大臣这一职务。
But which age group suffers most from loneliness?
但是哪个年龄群承受的孤独最多呢?
Here is a BBC report about the research.
这是BBC对该调查的报道。
There is a common stereotype that loneliness affects only the old and the isolated.
有一种常见的刻板印象认为孤独仅影响老人和孤立的人。
It does,
确实是,
but what this experiment also shows is that loneliness is felt throughout life.
但是这项实验同样表明孤独是贯穿一生的。
People aged between 16 and 24 experience loneliness more often and more intensely than any other age group.
年龄在16到24之间的人所承受的孤独比其它年龄群更频繁,更强烈。
So according to the research, Sam, which section of society is most affected by loneliness?
所以根据调查,萨姆,社会哪个部分人群最容易受到孤独影响?
This might be a surprise, but it's 16 to 24 year olds.
这或许出人意料,但介于16岁到24岁之间的人群最易受到孤独影响。
I was surprised by that because like many, I would've guessed that it was older people.
我对那感到吃惊,因为像许多人一样,我会猜是年纪大一些的人。
The reporter did say that that was a stereotype.
那个记者确实称那是一种刻板印象。
A stereotype is nothing to do with stereo music.
刻板印象和立体音乐没任何关系。
But it's the noun we use to describe a very simple and basic judgement of someone and their character and personality based on their age, nationality, profession and so on.
但是这个名词是我们用来形容他人性格和个性的一种十分简单基础的评价,那是基于他人的年龄,国籍,职业等等。
So a stereotype of British people is that we can't cook, we have bad teeth, we are very reserved and never say what we mean.
所以对英国人的刻板形象是不下厨,牙齿不好,我们非常内敛,从来不说我们想要表达的。
I don't know what you mean, my cooking is wonderful, Sam.
我不知道你指什么,我的厨艺非常棒,萨姆。
And the stereotype is that old people get lonely.
而且刻板印象是觉得老人会孤独。
Much like the stereotypes of British people, this may be true.
就像对英国人的刻板印象,那或许是真的。
In some cases - I‘ve eaten some of your home-cooked meals remember, Neil - but it‘s not true for the majority.
在一些情况下——我吃过你做的家常菜,还记得吧,尼尔——那就不像大多数情况,你做菜很棒并不是真的。
It is young people who feel lonely more often and more intensely.
年轻人会更频繁,更强烈地感到孤独。
Intensely' here means 'strongly'.
“Intensely”在这里指的是“强烈地”。
The feeling of loneliness is stronger in young people than older people.
年轻人的孤独感比年纪大一些的人的孤独感更强烈。
The reporter goes on to give some explanation for why young people might be more lonely.
记者接着解释为什么年轻人或许更加孤独。
Researchers from the University of Manchester who analysed the data, suggested feeling lonely may plague the young.
曼彻斯特大学的研究人员对数据进行分析,称感觉孤独或许会困扰年轻人。
Because it's a time of identity change, figuring out your place in the world and of learning to regulate emotions.
因为正是身份转变的时候,要弄清自己在世界上所处位置,学会管理情绪。
He says that feeling lonely may plague young people,
他说感觉孤独可能会困扰年轻人,
what does he mean there?
他那是指什么?
If you are plagued by something, it means that it troubles you, it bothers you and not just once, it's something that happens continually or repeatedly.
如果你被某事所困扰,那指的是给你带来麻烦,打扰到你,而且不止一次,它是不断或者重复发生的某事。
And he says this may be, because at that age we are still figuring out our place in the world.
而且他说可能会是这样,因为在那个年龄,我们仍然在了解自己在世界所处的位置。
We are trying to understand the world and what we are supposed to do with our lives.
我们在设法理解这个世界,以及我们应该在自己的人生中做些什么。
He also suggests that younger people have not yet learned how to regulate their emotions, which is another way of saying to control their emotions.
他同样称较年轻的人还没有学会如何管理他们的情绪,那是控制他们情绪的另一种说法。
Right. Time to review this week's vocabulary, but before that let's have the answer to the quiz.
好的。是时候回顾这周的词汇了,但是在那之前,让我们揭晓测试问题的答案。
I asked: Where is the most isolated inhabited place on the planet?
我问:哪里是地球上最与世隔绝的栖息地?
Is it: a) McMurdo Station in Antarctica b) Siwa Oasis in Egypt's Western Desert or c) the island of Tristan da Cunha in the South Atlantic?
是a)南极洲的麦克默多站 b)埃及西部沙漠的西瓦绿洲 还是c)南大西洋的特里斯坦达库尼亚岛?
What did you say, Sam?
你说是什么,萨姆?
I said a).
我说是a选项。
Well, I'm afraid to say the answer is actually c) the island of Tristan da Cunha in the South Atlantic.
好吧,我恐怕要说答案实际上是c)南大西洋的特里斯坦达库尼亚岛。
It has a population of fewer than 300 and it's only accessible by a 6-day voyage by ship from South Africa.
它的人口不足300,而且只可以通过南非的轮渡六天之旅进入。
So not a popular place for a weekend break!
所以对于周末休息来说不是一个受欢迎的地方!
Indeed not.
确实不是。
Now it's time for a recap of our vocabulary.
现在是时候回顾我们的单词了。
The first word was 'isolated', which Tristan da Cunha certainly is.
第一个是“隔绝的”,特里斯坦达库尼亚岛绝对是。
It means far away from other place and people.
它指的是远离其它地方和人群。
Then there was stereotype - the noun for a simplistic view of person or group based on their nationality, age, profession and the like.
然后是刻板印象——这个名词是基于别人的国籍,年龄,职业等等,对他人或群体的简单评价。
Intensely' means 'strongly'.
“Intensely”指的是“强烈地”。
Being plagued by something' means it causes you problems and difficulties.
“被某事所困扰”指的是它给你造成麻烦和难题。
If you are trying to figure something out, you are trying to understand it.
如果你设法了解某事,那你就是在尝试理解它。
And 'to regulate something' means to control it.
而且“to regulate something”指的是控制某事。
Well, sadly, that's the end of the programme.
好的,很难过到了节目最后了。
Hopefully you won't feel too lonely without us,
希望没有我们你不会感到太孤独,
remember we are always here on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, our App and of course the website bbclearningenglish.com.
要记得我们一直都在Instagram,Facebook,Twitter,YouTube和我们的应用软件上,当然还有我们的网站bbclearningenglish.com。
See you soon. Goodbye.
下次见。再见。
Bye!
拜!