心碎
Broken hearts
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Neil.
大家好,欢迎来到六分钟英语。我是尼尔。
And hello, I'm Rob.
大家好,我是罗伯。
Today’s topic is about our health and in particular our hearts.
今天的主题是关于我们的健康,特别是我们的心脏。
How’s your heart, Rob?
你的心脏怎么样,罗伯?
Er, fine, I hope, as far as I know.
额,我希望不错,据我所知是这样的。
Do you take care of it?
你注意保护心脏吗?
Well, not my heart specifically, but my health in general, yes.
好吧,不只是特定针对心脏,通常说来我还关心自己的健康,是的。
I like to exercise regularly and I try to eat healthy foods.
我喜欢定期锻炼并且我尽量吃健康的食物。
So that cheeseburger I saw you eating just now was a healthy cheeseburger?
所以我刚刚看到你吃的那个芝士汉堡是一种健康芝士汉堡吗?
Fake news!
假的!
You’re making that up, Neil!
那是你瞎编的,尼尔!
Don’t believe him, listeners.
不要相信他,听众们。
It would break my heart if people thought I ate junk food.
如果大家认为我吃垃圾食品的话,我会心碎的。
Now that’s an interesting expression.
现在看那是一个有趣的表达。
‘It would break my heart.’
“它让我心碎。”
We say that when we talk about things that upset us.
当我们谈到令我们不快的事情时,我们会说那。
Of course, we don’t really mean that our heart is actually breaking.
当然,我们不是真的指我们的心脏破碎。
However, you do sometimes hear stories about people who they say ‘died from a broken heart’.
然而,我们确实有时候听到一些报道称有些人“死于心碎”。
That is today’s topic - can you die from a broken heart?
那是今天的主题――你会死于心碎吗?
First though, the quiz question.
首先是测试问题。
The first human-to-human heart transplant took place in 1967.
第一例人与人之间的心脏移植发生于1967年。
But what country was it in?
但是它是在哪个国家?
Was it: a) South Africa b) USA or c) China ?
是a)南非 b)美国 还是 c)中国 ?
What do you think, Rob?
你认为呢,罗伯?
Well, I think it is definitely a) South Africa.
好吧,我认为它绝对是南非。
OK, we’ll give you the answer at the end of the programme.
好的,在节目最后我们将告诉大家答案。
Now back to the subject of broken hearts and if you can die from one.
现在回到心碎以及你是否会死于心碎的主题上来。
Dr Nikki Stamp is an Australian heart surgeon.
尼基•斯坦普医生是澳大利亚一名心脏外科医生。
She’s written a book, helpfully called ‘Can You Die From A Broken Heart?’.
她写了一本很有帮助的书,叫做《你是否会死于心碎?》。
She was a guest on the BBC Radio 4 programme Woman’s Hour and was asked that very question.
她是BBC广播4频道《女性时间》节目的嘉宾,并且被问到了那个特别的问题。
Does she think it is possible?
她认为那有可能吗?
Yes, short answer is yes.
是的,简单回答是有可能。
It’s a little bit more nuanced than that.
它比那还要微妙一点。
For most of us when we have a broken heart, whether it’s bereavement or a relationship coming to an end, we will be fine.
对于我们大多数人来说,当我们有一颗破碎的心时,无论是丧亲之痛,还是一段感情的结束,我们都会没事的。
We’ll muddle our way through it.
我们会以自己的方式应付过去。
We’ll take not so good care of ourselves.
我们不会将自己照顾得那么好。
But we’ll get there.
但是我们会没事的。
However the physical effects still happen.
然而生理反应仍会产生。
And it is a big stress on your emotions obviously but also on your body.
并且它会给我们的情绪和身体造成巨大压力。
So she says 'yes', it is possible to die from a broken heart.
所以她的回答是肯定的,有可能死于心碎。
But Rob, is it as clear and simple as that?
但是罗伯,它有那样明确简单吗?
Well, no. She said it was a bit more nuanced.
好吧,没有。她说那有一点微妙。
This means it’s not a simple relationship.
这指的是它不是一段简单的关系。
A situation that is nuanced has small but possibly important differences.
微妙的状态有微小但或许重要的不同。
She mentioned a couple of situations where we say that people could have a broken heart, didn’t she?
她提到了我们把人们称为心碎的几种情况,不是吗?
Yes, she talked about times of great unhappiness and emotional stress.
是的,她谈到了有极大的不快以及情感压力的时候。
One of the ones she mentioned was bereavement.
她提及的其中之一是丧亲之痛。
Bereavement is the intense feeling of sadness we get when someone close to us dies.
丧亲之痛是当和我们亲近的人离世时我们强烈的悲伤之情。
The other situation where we say people are broken-hearted is, as Dr Stamp said, when a relationship comes to an end.
我们说人们心碎的另一种情况是,正如斯坦普医生所说,当一段感情终结的时候。
So if your boyfriend, girlfriend, husband wife or lover decides they no longer want to be with you.
所以那是如果你的男朋友,女朋友,丈夫,妻子或者爱人决定不再想和你在一起的时候。
So these are times when we use the expression to be broken-hearted.
所以这些是我们会使用“心碎”这个表达的时候。
But thankfully, they don’t usually lead to death.
但是幸好,它们并不经常导致死亡。
She said that usually we muddle through.
她说通常我们会应付过去。
This expression means that we get through our sadness.
这个表达指的是我们克服悲伤。
Maybe slowly and maybe we don’t think clearly and don’t make the right decisions.
或许很缓慢,或许我们想得并不清楚,没有做出正确决定。
But in the end, we mend our broken hearts.
但是最终我们修补好我们破碎的心。
For some people, a few people though, the emotional stress does have an effect on the body.
对一些人来说,尽管是很少的一些人,情感压力确实对我们的身体有影响。
It does lead to physical symptoms and sometimes, sadly, death.
它确实导致了一些身体症状的出现,而且有时候很难过的是它会导致死亡。
Here’s Dr Stamp again.
这个是斯坦普医生再次谈到的。
Which expression does she use instead of the word ‘died’?
她用哪种表达代替“死”这个词?
And then for some people, you will die of a broken heart.
然后对一些人来说,你会死于心碎。
And we do tend to see that in elderly people who you know, like a few weeks after grandma passed away, grandad passed away not long after.
我们确实有可能在一些年老之人身上看到那种情况。你知道的,就像祖母去世几周后,祖父不久也去世了。
She says that dying of a broken heart can happen with older people and she used the expression 'passed away' rather than the word ‘died’.
她说死于心碎会发生在年老之人身上,而且她用的是“去世”这个表达,而不是“死”这个词。
Dying from a broken heart may be quite rare, but heart problems still exist for many, particularly those who are very overweight.
死于心碎或许十分罕见,但是心脏问题对一些人来说仍然存在,特别是那些严重超重的人。
This is a problem in many parts of the world.
这是存在于世界一些地区的一个问题。
But why is that?
但是那是为什么呢?
Here’s Dr Stamp again.
这个是斯坦普医生再次谈到的。
Dr Stamp says that we are increasingly time-poor.
斯坦普医生说我们越来越缺乏空闲时间。
We have less and less free time, as we are spending more time working.
我们的空闲时间越来越少,因为我们花费了更多时间在工作上。
This leads to our not doing as much exercise and eating more convenience food rather than making our own food from healthy ingredients.
这导致我们没有做大量运动,吃更便捷的事物而不是用健康的食材做饭。
The doctor says that we are not prioritising our health as we should be.
医生称我们没有优先考虑我们的健康问题,我们本该那样做。
Prioritising means deciding how important different things are.
给予优先权指的是决定不同事物有多重要。
So we are not thinking of our health as being as important as we should.
所以我们没有像我们本该那样优先考虑我们的健康问题。
Right, well we’re quite time-poor in this programme, so it’s time for the answer to our quiz.
是的,好吧,我们在这个节目里时间十分缺乏,所以是时候揭晓测试问题的答案了。
In which country was the first human-to-human heart transplant carried out?
哪个国家实施了第一例人与人之间心脏移植?
The choices were South Africa, USA or China.
选项有南非,美国和中国。
What did you say, Rob?
你说是什么,罗伯?
Yeah, I was sure it was South Africa.
是的,我确定是南非。
Well, you were right to be sure because the answer is South Africa.
好吧,你是对的,因为答案就是南非。
Congratulations if you got that right.
如果你回答对了,那就恭喜你了。
Now just time to recap today’s vocabulary.
现在是回顾今天单词的时间了。
Yes, we started off with nuanced.
是的,我们从“微妙的”开始。
This adjective means 'something is not as simple as it might seem. There may be small but important things that need to be considered'.
这是一个形容词,指的“是某事并不像它看起来那样简单。或许有微小但是重要的事情需要考虑到”。
Then there was bereavement.
然后是“丧亲之痛”。
The sadness we feel when someone close to us has passed away.
当与我们亲近的人去世时我们所感受到的悲伤。
Passed away' was one of our other words, and it’s a more gentle way of saying ‘died’.
“去世”是我们其它单词之一。它是“死”的一种更委婉说法。
We also had the phrasal verb 'muddle through'.
我们还学了动词词组“应付过去”。
This expression means 'to get to the end of a difficult situation somehow. Not always by making the right decisions but in the end, getting there'.
这个表达指的是“以某种方式结束艰难处境。不总是做出正确的决定,但是最终成功做到”。
Being time-poor' was the expression for not having enough free time.
“空闲时间缺乏”是没有足够空闲时间的表达。
And finally prioritising was the noun for deciding how important different things are.
最后,给予优先权是决定不同事物有多重要的一个名词。
Well, that’s all from 6 Minute English today.
好的,以上就是今天的六分钟英语。
Don’t break our hearts, do join us again, but in the meantime you can find us in all the usual places:
不要让我们心碎,一定要再次加入我们,但是同时可以在常见地方找到我们:
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and of course our website bbclearningenglish.com,
Facebook,Twitter,Instagram,YouTube,当然还有我们的网bbclearningenglish.com,
where you can find all kinds of audio programmes, videos, activities and quizzes to help you improve your English!
在那里你可以找到所有种类的音频节目,视频,活动以及问题来帮助你提高自己的英语。
Thanks for joining us and goodbye.
感觉你的参与,再见!
Byebye!
拜拜!