锻炼够了吗?
Do adults exercise enough?
Hello, I'm Neil. And welcome to 6 Minute English, where we vigorously discuss a new topic and six related items of vocabulary.
大家好,我是尼尔。欢迎收听六分钟英语,节目中我们会活力满满地讨论一个新话题,并奉上六个相关的单词。
And hello, I'm Rob.
大家好,我是罗伯。
Today we’re discussing vigorous exercise – and whether adults take enough of it!
今天我们要讨论活力满满的运动,以及成年人是否足够地运动了。
Vigorous means using a lot of energy to do something.
vigorous(有活力的)是指有很多力气去做某事。
So how many steps do you do in a day, Rob?
所以你每天能走多少步呢,罗伯?
How many steps? How should I know, Neil?
多少步?我怎么知道?
– It would be pretty hard to count them all.
这很难去数。
Oh, come on! You can track steps on your phone!
拜托!你的手机就可以追踪步数!
I do ten thousand a day – which is the magic number for keeping fit and healthy, apparently.
我每天会走一万步,这是一个神奇的数字,可以保持体形和健康。
Not if you saunter, Neil, surely?
你确定不是在闲逛?
Sauntering from the sofa to the fridge and back – Or from the house to the car.
从沙发溜达到冰箱,然后溜达回来。或者从家溜达到车上。
Well I never saunter, Rob. Saunter means to walk slowly.
我没有闲逛。Saunter是指走得很慢。
And you’d have to make a lot of trips to the fridge to clock up ten thousand steps.
你要想达到一万步,你得走很多趟到冰箱。
To get some vigorous exercise, you need to get out and about – round the park at a brisk pace…
要想进行强度大的锻炼,你需要到外面去,以轻松的步伐绕着公园转。
Brisk means quick and energetic – the opposite of sauntering.
brisk是指快速而有活力的,是sauntering的反义词。
OK, well, perhaps you can you tell me, Neil, how many people aged between 40 and 60 do less than ten minutes brisk walking every month?
好吧,尼尔,也许你能告诉我,40岁到60岁的人群中,有多少人每个月快走不足10分钟?
Is it…a) 4%, b) 14% or c) 40%?
a) 4%,b) 14% 还是 c) 40%?
I’m going to say… 4% because ten minutes is such a short amount of time!
我想选4%,因为十分钟真的是很短的时间。
Indeed. Now, I’ve got another question for you, Neil.
没错。我还有另一个问题要问你,尼尔。
Why is exercise so important?
为什么锻炼如此重要呢?
Because it sounds pretty boring – counting steps, going to the gym, running on a machine.
因为锻炼听上去很无聊,记步数、去健身房、在机器上跑步。
Well, when you exercise, you stimulate the body's natural repair system.
然而当你运动时,会刺激身体的自然修复机制。
Your body will actually stay younger if you exercise!
如果你锻炼的话,你的身体实际上会保持年轻。
That sounds good.
这听上去不错。
Exercise also lowers your risk of developing illnesses such as heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.
锻炼还能降低心脏病、癌症和糖尿病的患病风险。
Hmm. I’m getting a bit worried now, Neil.
我现在有点担心了,尼尔。
But I don’t have enough time to do a thousand steps every day… I’m far too busy!
我每天没有足够的时间走一千步。我太忙了!
Well, Rob. Now might be a good time to listen to Julia Bradbury.
好吧,罗伯。现在也许该听听茱莉亚·布拉德伯里是怎么说的了。
She's a TV presenter and outdoor walking enthusiast who will explain how she builds walking into her busy life.
她是一名电视节目主持人,以及户外行走的爱好者,她会解释她怎么将走路融入进她繁忙的生活中。
I will walk to meetings instead of catching a bus, or getting a taxi or a car – into meetings.
我会走路去开会,而不是乘公交、打车或开车。
And I will also, if I can’t build that into my working day,
如果我工作时不能走路,
if it’s a day when I haven’t got meetings and I’m maybe at home with the kids,
如果那一天我没有会议,我或许会在家和孩子一起,
I will take the time – I will take my kids out with the buggy and I will definitely do 30-40 minutes at least everyday.
我会利用那个时间,带孩子出去骑童车,我会每天至少花费30到40分钟时间去走路。
Going to the park, going to the shops, picking up my things up en route, and really sort of building it into my life.
去公园、去商店、在途中把东西买好,真正地将走路融入生活中。
Taking the stairs and not taking lifts, all of these kinds of little decisions can incrementally build up to create more walking time in your day.
走楼梯不要走电梯,所有这些小的决定会逐渐地将更多的走路时间融入你的一天中。
So if you build something in to your day – or your life – you include it from the beginning.
如果你将某事融入你的一天或生活,是指你从一开始将这件事包含其中。
And Julia Bradbury has built walking into her day.
茱莉亚将走路融入她的一天。
Even though she’s very busy too, Rob!
尽管她也非常忙碌,尼尔!
You should learn from her!
你应该向她学习!
So she walks instead of driving or taking the bus.
所以她用走路代替开车或乘公交。
And takes the stairs instead of the lift. I could do those things.
走楼梯而不坐电梯。我也可以做这些事。
You could indeed – before you know it, you’d be doing ten thousand steps
你当然可以。在你知道之前,你最好做到走一万步。
– because the amount of walking you do in a day builds incrementally.
因为你一天内走的步数会慢慢增加。
Incrementally means gradually increasing in size.
incrementally是指渐渐增加。
OK, well, before I think that over, perhaps I could tell you the answer to today’s quiz question?
在我考虑这之前,也许我应该告诉你今天问题的答案了?
OK. You asked me: How many people aged between 40 and 60 do less than ten minutes brisk walking every month?
是的。你问我:40岁到60岁的人群中,有多少人每个月快走不到10分钟?
The options were:a) 4%, b) 14% or c) 40%?
选项有a) 4%, b) 14% , c) 40%? ?
And you said 4%. But I’m afraid it’s actually 40%.
你说的是4%。但是正确答案恐怕是40%。
And that‘s according to the Government body Public Health England here in the UK.
这一数字来自英国政府机构英国公共卫生部门。
Oh dear, that’s a lot more people than I expected.
天啊,比我想象的人多。
But it isn’t that surprising – people in all age groups are leading more sedentary lifestyles these days.
这一点也不吃惊。各个年龄段的人如今都过着久坐式的生活方式。
Our job is very sedentary – which means it involves a lot of sitting and not much exercise!
我们的工作也是久坐式的,也就是说经常坐着,很少运动。
Well, I might just run on the spot while we go over the new vocabulary we’ve learned today!
我也需要跑一跑,同时我们看看今天学过的单词。
Good plan. First up we heard vigorous – which means using a lot of energy to do something.
好计划。首先我们听到vigorous,指有很多力气做某事。
OK. I am running vigorously on the spot!
我活力满满地在跑步。
Great example! And good to see you taking some vigorous exercise!
好例子!很高兴看到你在进行强度大的运动。
Number two – saunter – means to walk slowly in a relaxed way.
第二个单词是saunter,是指以惬意的方式慢慢走路。
When I saw Rob, I sauntered over to say hello.
当我看多罗伯,我溜达过去跟他打招呼。
Hi Neil. Number three – brisk means quick and energetic.
嗨,尼尔。第三个单词是brisk,是指快速而有活力的。
It’s important to take some brisk exercise every day.
每天进行一些轻快的运动很重要。
Yes! And I’m beginning to realise that might be true.
没错。我开始意识到这一点没错。
Yep! I think you've done enough jogging for today, Rob.
是的!今天你慢跑够了。
You’ve probably done about a hundred steps.
你可能走了一百步了?
Is that all?
才这些步数?
OK, number four – if you build something in to something – you include it from the beginning.
没错。第四个单词,如果你将某事融入到另一件事中,是指你从一开始将其包含其中。
It’s important to build regular exercise into your daily routine.
将规律的锻炼融入日常生活很重要。
Very good advice. Number five is incrementally which means gradually increasing in size.
好主意。第五个但此时incrementally,是指渐渐增加。
Incremental is the adjective.
incremental是形容词。
The company has been making incremental changes to its pay structure.
这个公司在薪水结构上进行逐渐的改变。
Does that mean we’re getting a pay rise?
这是指我们要加薪了!
I doubt it! And finally, number six – sedentary means sitting a lot and not taking much exercise.
我很怀疑!最后,第六个单词,久坐的,是指长时间坐着,很少锻炼。
For example, It’s bad for your health to lead such a sedentary lifestyle.
例如,这种久坐式生活方式对健康有害。
Duly noted, Neil! Well, it’s time to go now.
很值得注意!时间差不多了。
But if today’s show has inspired you to step out and take more exercise,
如果今天的节目鼓励了你走出去进行更多的锻炼,
please let us know by visiting our Twitter, Facebook and YouTube pages and telling us about it!
请访问我们的 Instagram, Twitter, Facebook 和YouTube主页,让我们知道。
Goodbye!
再见!