永远不老
Never too old
Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English. I'm Alice…
欢迎收听六分钟英语,我是爱丽丝。
And I'm Rob… Now, Alice – how old are you?
我是罗伯。爱丽丝,你多大了?
I'm 21, Rob – not a day older!
我21岁,一天都没少算!
Come on, don't be coy about your age, Alice!
得了吧,在年龄问题上不要忸怩了,爱丽丝。
– Coy, by the way, means not wanting to give away information about yourself.
忸怩是指不想分享关于自己的信息。
I'm not being coy, Rob.
我不是忸怩。
I just… don't feel like telling everyone how old I am.
我只是不想告诉每个人我多大。
Some people think it's rude to ask.
还有一些人觉得询问年龄很无礼。
I don't mean to be rude of course but … well, you are being coy.
我并没有冒犯的意思。但你确实在遮遮掩掩。
I'm asking because today we're talking about age and whether you can be too old for some things.
我之所以问是因为我们今天要谈论年龄问题,以及我们的年龄是否不适合做一些事了。
What do you think?
你怎么看呢?
I'm too old to order off children's menus in restaurants – but I still do it.
我年龄大了,不适合在餐馆点儿童餐,不过我还是有这么做。
Anything else?
还有其他的吗?
Well, I couldn't pull an all-nighter anymore.
现在不能熬夜通宵了。
OK. That's another way of saying stay up all night to finish something.
好吧,这是熬夜完成某事的另一种说法。
That's what students do to get their work done.
学生们经常通宵写作业。
I used to be able to do it, and now I couldn't.
我之前也这么做,现在不行了。
I struggle to stay up on New Year's Eve until midnight.
新年前夕我也只能撑到午夜。
But let's move on to today's quiz question.
接下来到我们的问题环节了。
What percentage of people aged over 65 surveyed in the UK described themselves as old?
据英国的一项调查,有多少65岁以上的人们称自己老了?
Is it …a) 6%?
a) 6%?
b) 16%?
b) 16%?
Or c) 60%?
还是 c) 60%?
Well, I think it's just a) 6%.
我觉得是a) 6%。
People don't like to think of themselves as old.
人们都不认为自己老了。
Well, we'll find out if you got the answer right or wrong later on in the show.
好吧,节目的最后我们再看你回答的是否正确。
First, let's explore the subject of aging more.
首先我们继续讨论今天的主题——变老。
Tell me, Rob, do you think you can be too old to take up a new hobby?
罗伯,你觉得你现在的年纪是否不适合开始一项新的爱好了?
I might be, I mean, depends on the hobby of course.
也许吧,我觉得这主要看什么样的爱好。
I went for a run the other day, and it nearly killed me.
我前几天去跑步了,差点累死我。
That just means you're unfit, Rob!
那只能说你太不健康了!
Let's listen to Ernestine Shepherd who didn't think she was too old to take up an interesting new hobby.
让我们听听Ernestine Shepherd的采访,她从来不认为自己年纪大了,不适合培养新的爱好。
At the age of 71 she started bodybuilding and is currently listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the oldest female bodybuilder in the world.
她71岁开始健身,打破了吉尼斯世界纪录,成为世界上年纪最大的健身女性。
If ever there were an anti-aging pill, I would call it exercise.
如果世上有抗衰老药片,那我觉得一定是锻炼。
I enjoy working out with the people who come to the church.
我喜欢和教堂里的人们一起出去锻炼。
Sometimes they say, "Oh, this hurts!"
有时,他们会说“哦,这很疼!”
But I tell people, "Age is nothing but a number!"
但我告诉他们“年龄只是一个数字而已!”
I am 75 years of age.
我75岁了。
This morning I awakened at 2.30.
今早我2:30起床。
I have a group of four other people who run with me in the mornings.
还有四个人经常早上和我一起跑步。
We run about ten miles. Every day.
我们跑十公里。每天。
Wow! That was Ernestine Shepherd.
哇!上述是Ernestine Shepherd的讲话。
What an example to us all!
这是我们所有的人榜样!
Work out, by the way, means taking exercise to make yourself fit.
外出锻炼是指通过锻炼保持健康。
I think it's true that if we did more exercise every day, we would all look and feel much better.
我认为如果我们每天多做锻炼,确实会看上去更健康,感觉更好。
Ernestine is all for exercise but I'm afraid I'd take some anti-aging pill if one existed.
Ernestine 真的是运动迷,要是我,如果真的有抗衰老药,我会直接吃药。
If something is advertised as being anti-aging it means it's designed to stop you looking older.
如果某物打广告说有抗衰老效果,该物的设计意图在于阻止你变老。
And you can find hundreds of products these days that claim to have anti-aging properties.
如今你会发现有很多声称可以抗衰老的产品。
Lots of lotions and potions for women in particular!
尤其是女性用的乳液、药水之类的。
Yes. That's because women feel pressurized to look younger than their age.
那是因为女性为了让自己看起来比实际年龄年轻,倍感压力。
It's an example of ageism and it isn't fair.
这是年龄歧视,很不公平。
Ageism means discrimination against people because of their age.
年龄歧视是指因为年龄而歧视某人。
And sometimes people can be discriminated against in the workplace for being 'too old'.
有时人们会因为“年纪太大“而在工作中受到歧视。
Now, do you think you could be too old to take up a new job, Alice?
爱丽丝,你会觉得你年龄太大,不适合从事新工作吗?
No, I don't get the concept of too old at all.
不会,我从来都不能理解”老“这个概念。
My grandparents both still work and they have more enthusiasm and energy than I do.
我的祖父母仍旧在工作,他们比我还有热情和动力。
They hate being called senior citizens and old-age pensioners - or by the initials of these words, OAP.
他们讨厌被称作老人或领退休金的老年人(取其首字母OAP)。
And they are right: who wants to be defined by their age?
他们想法没错,有谁愿意用年龄定义自己?
You just said: "Don't get this concept".
你刚刚说“你不能get这个概念”。
And to get something means to understand it.
Get某事其实是指理解某事。
So I suppose you stay the same inside – it's just the outside that changes!
看来你内心依然年轻,变化的只是外在容貌!
We have to be young at heart at least.
至少我们的内心是年轻的。
And age is no reason for some people to stop working if they are in good health.
如果人们身体健康,年龄不是停止工作的原因。
Let's listen to Trisha Cusden who started a new business at 65 supplying beauty products for older women.
我们再来听听Trisha Cusden的采访,她在65岁时创办了自己的公司,向年老的女性销售美容产品。
I've had an idea, I've seen a problem and an opportunity, and I've done something about it
我一直有一个想法,我发现了一个问题,同时也发现了一个机会,为此我付出了很多行动。
– And created a business which I'm very happy to say is very successful.
我创办了一个公司,我很开心,它运营的很成功。
I mean [when] I started it, it was going to be a hobby,
我最初开办公司时,只是将其作为我的一个爱好,
you know, something to keep me out of trouble, give me something to do.
让我走出困惑,让我有事可以做。
Trisha Cusden there. She started a new hobby and it turned into a successful business enterprise.
上述是Trisha Cusden的讲话。她培养了新的爱好,还将其发展为新的公司,并成功运营。
Now, before we finish, I'd just like to put the case for older men.
节目结束前,我还想再举一些例子。
My dad, my granddad, Sean Connery, Michael Caine, Harrison Ford
我的父亲、祖父、Sean Connery、Michael Caine、Harrison Ford,
– they're all fantastic role models for us younger guys.
他们都是我们年轻人很好的榜样。
And a role model is somebody people admire and want to copy.
榜样是指人们钦佩并想要学习的人。
Well, that brings us round to the matter of today's quiz question, Alice.
接下来回到之前的问题吧。
Yes, it does.
好的。
I asked: What percentage of people aged over 65 surveyed in the UK described themselves as old in a survey?
我的问题是:据英国的一项调查,有多少65岁以上的人们称自己老了?
Is it … a) 6%, b) 16% or c) 60%?
a) 6%?b) 16%?还是 c) 60%?
Yep. And I said a) 6%. Was I right?
我选的是a) 6%。我答对了吗?
Yes, you were! You were right! Well done!
回答正确!做得好!
More than 2,000 people aged between 65 and 93 were surveyed by UK market research firm YouGov.
英国市场调查公司YouGov对两千名65岁到93岁的人们进行了这项调查。
Now here are the words we learned today, Rob.
现在我们再看一下今天提到的单词吧?
They were:
今天学到的单词有:
coy
忸怩的
pull an all-nighter
熬夜通宵
work out
锻炼
anti-aging
抗衰老
ageism
年龄歧视
senior citizen
老年人
old-age pensioner (or OAP)
领养老金的老人
get something
理解某事
role model
榜样
Well, that's the end of today's 6 Minute English.
今天的六分钟英语就到这里。
Don't forget to join us again soon!
别忘了下期再会!
Bye.
再见!