开始工作吧
Getting down to business
Hello again. It’s the big day and Mr Socrates is about to arrive at the offices of Tip Top Trading to talk officially to the team.
大家好。今天可是一个大日子。Mr Socrates即将抵达顶级贸易公司办公室,与团队成员进行正式的谈话。
What is he going to say? And more importantly, will he get his freshly squeezed orange juice?
他会说什么呢?更着重要的是,他能得到他新鲜榨好的橙汁吗?
Quickly everybody… he’s coming out of the lift with Paul.
大家都快点,他正和Paul出电梯。
Anna quickly, get a glass of orange juice ready.
Anna,快点的,准备好一杯橙汁。
…and if we come through this door here we get to the office and… morning everyone.
穿过这个门,我们就到了办公室了。大家早上好。
I’m sure we’ve all met Mr Socrates on the day of the… fire… but today everything is a bit calmer and well he’s here to say hello.
我相信大家在失火那天就已经见过Mr Socrates,不过今天一切都比较平静,他到这里跟大家打声招呼。
Hi!
嗨!
Biscuit Mr Socrates?
Mr Socrates,吃饼干吗?
Biscuit? You mean a goddamn cookie. Thanks.
饼干?你说的是讨厌的饼干啊。谢谢。
Err, Mr Socrates, I’m Anna. Would you like some orange juice – freshly squeezed?
额,Mr Socrates,我是Anna。你想来杯鲜榨的橙汁吗?
You betcha as long as it’s made from Florida oranges. Hey… Anna? Ain’t you the girl who booked my hotel room?
那当然,只要是佛罗里达州产的橙子。嘿,Anna?你不是给我订房间的女孩吗?
Oh yes, sorry about the bed and…
是的,很抱歉床还有…
Hey, you got me a new room, it was great. You did a good job there. Well done.
嘿,你给我订的新房间很棒。你做的很好。干得漂亮。
Oh thanks.
谢谢。
Hello. It’s Tom. I recommended the hotel, it was a…
你好,我是Tom。是我推荐的酒店,它是…
Tom. Everyone, shall we gather round and hear what Mr Socrates has to say? Please.
Tom,大家,我们是不是应该聚到一起听Mr Socrates有什么话要说?请。
Hey… errr, what’s your name…
嘿,额,你叫什么?
Paul.
Paul。
Yeah you. Don’t you think I should be sitting in the big chair?
对,你不觉得我应该坐在一张大椅子上吗?
Sorry. Yes of course. (Shuffling) There you go.
抱歉,当然。这边请。
Now. Tip Top Trading. I gotta give it to you straight.
现在,顶级贸易公司的各位,我就直话直说了。
Things ain’t looking good, in fact the outlook is gloomy.
事情看起来并不好,事实上前景黯淡。
The global recession has led to a meltdown in the plastic fruits sector.
全球经济衰退已经导致塑料水果行业的崩溃。
And I’ve got to announce a profit warning.
我不得不宣布利润预警。
We just ain’t selling enough of these bananas, oranges and lemons to make any money.
我们就是没有卖足够多的香蕉、桔子和柠檬来赚钱。
There’s a bit of an economic squeeze on lemons!
柠檬的经济有些经济紧缩。
What?!
什么?!
Oh dear. I’m not sure what he’s talking about but it sounds bad.
噢,天啊。我不确定他在说什么但是听起来情况不妙。
It is Anna. He’s delivering some bad news without hiding the truth.
是的Anna。他在如实地传达一些坏消息。
That’s why he said “I’ve got to give it to you straight”.
这正是为什么他说“那我就直话直说了。”
He said “the outlook is gloomy” which it means the future doesn’t look good.
他说“前景黯淡”意思是未来的趋势不是很好。
And he mentioned a “profit warning”, which means company profits are probably going to go down.
他提到的“利润预警”意思是公司的利润很可能会走下坡路。
Crikey! That is bad. What does it mean?
哎呀!真是不好。这是什么意思呢?
Just keep listening for now.
现在认真听吧。
…so, this calls for action. I’m going to have to…
所以,是时候开始行动了。我打算…
Oh no, not me Mr Socrates, I’ve been a loyal employee, I couldn’t face being unemployed.
噢不,不是我Mr Socrates,我一直都是忠诚的员工,我不能面对被解雇。
Tom, calm down.
Tom,冷静一下。
I’m not talking about redundancies yet.
我还没说要裁员。
Gosh, well that calls for another biscuit.
天啊,再吃块饼干吧。
My plan is… we’re going into Europe.
我的计划是,我们要走进欧洲。
You mean we’re moving to Europe?
你的意思是我们要搬去欧洲?
No, no Anna. I think he means we’re going to sell plastic fruit to the European market.
不不,Anna。我觉得他的意思是把塑料水果卖到欧洲市场。
Oh right! Great. Mr Socrates, I’ve lots of experience with Europe. I had a holiday in Spain once… twice actually.
噢,太好啦。Mr Socrates,我有过好多次在欧洲旅行的经历。有一次我去了西班牙,应该是两次。
Well we’ll have to make sure our phones can make international calls.
我们得保证我们的电话能打国际电话了。
Hmm. I think you’re gonna need some help with this, so I’m bringing in my best marketing executive, Rachel.
嗯嗯。我觉得你们会需要这方面的帮助,所以我带来了我最得力的市场营销主管,Rachel。
What she doesn’t know about selling to Europe, you don’t wanna know. She’ll be here in a few weeks’ time.
她在欧洲市场这方面无所不知。她会在这里呆上几周。
Do you know if she prefers tea or coffee… or orange juice perhaps?
你知道她喜欢喝茶还是喝咖啡,还是橙汁?
Look Diana…
Diana…
Denise…
是Denise…
Denise. Like Dennis right? She’ll want the best – the best tea, coffee, the best team.
Denise,听起来像Dennis是吧?她会想要最好的茶,最好的咖啡,还有最好的团队。
I’ll expect improved results and profits. If not your necks will be on the line – especially yours Paul.
我希望能改善结果,提高利润。如果你们都不多加注意——尤其是你Paul。
Oh, chop chop. We’d better get to work.
噢,快点快点。我们开始工作吧。
scary! “Your necks will be on the line” – he means their jobs will be at risk if things don’t improve.
吓人!“你的脖子会在线上”意思是如果销售额没有提升的话,他们的工作就悬了。
It’s a worrying time for Tip Top Trading. Let’s remind ourselves of the phrases Mr Socrates used to deliver bad news:
这真是顶级贸易公司的危机啊。让我们回顾一下Mr Socrates表达坏消息时所用的语句:
I’ve got to give it to you straight
我就直话直说了
The outlook is gloomy
前景黯淡
I’ve got to announce a profit warning
我不得不宣布利润预警
Let’s hope this new marketing strategy for Europe is going to work. How are you feeling Anna?
希望这一次的欧洲新市场策略能有用。你感觉如何,Anna?
A little nervous. But I’m going to try my best to make sure this new strategy works.
有点紧张。不过我会尽力保证新策略有效运行的。
That’s the spirit Anna!
振奋的Anna!
Right everyone. I think we need to take Mr Socrates down to the Rose and Crown after work for a pint or two and show him some true English hospitality. How about it?
大家,我觉得咱们下班后可以带Mr Socrates去玫瑰皇冠家喝点酒,以示英国人的热情。你们觉得怎么样?
I don’t drink.
我不喝酒。
Ah well, perhaps some lemonade?
那好吧,或许来点柠檬水?
Oh dear. This should be interesting. Until next time, bye!
噢,听起来很有意思。我们下次再见,拜!