合理说话
Talking sense
Welcome back to English at Work. Anna is acting up as boss because Paul had an accident with a biscuit!
欢迎回到职场英语。上期说到Paul发生饼干事故,让Anna做了代理老板。
But her and Tom are in a panic after finding a note in Paul’s diary that said ‘Socrates, IPC, final’.
她和Tom发现Paul的日记中有张便签,写着‘Socrates, IPC, final’。这下两个人发慌了。
Could it mean bad news for Tip Top Trading? Let’s find out.
难道是对顶级贸易公司不好的消息?一起寻找答案吧。
It’s very odd and it can’t be good. But Socrates must mean Mr Socrates.
太奇怪了,这绝对不是好事情。但Socrates肯定指的是Socrates先生。
Yes – but IPC? What’s that mean?
恩,没错,可IPC是什么意思呢?
Yeah and final sounds very… final. Hmm… I’ve got it! IPC – it must be code for imminent post closures – they’re going to sack us all!
是啊,什么意思呢?而且final听起来有种不可更改的语气。啊,我知道了。这肯定是即将生效的密码,他要把我们全部解雇!
Sshh. Keep your voice down. Don’t tell everyone. Let’s check things out first, don’t say anything yet. OK?
嘘。小点声。别告诉别人。咱们还是先把事情查清楚,千万别透露出去啊。
OK. Mum’s the word.
恩,我明白。保密哦~
Your mum knows?!
你妈妈知道?!
No, no, no, it’s our little secret. See you later.
不是,Mum’s the word,是秘密的意思。回头见,拜拜。
Everything OK Tom?
Tom,一切还顺利吧?
Oh yeah, everything’s cool. Actually Denise, it’s not.
哦,是的,都很好。可Denise,其实并不顺利。
I think we’re all going to be sacked tomorrow by Mr Socrates.
我想明天我们就要被Socrates先生解雇了。
What?! No! I’ve got a hairdresser’s appointment on Saturday, how am I going to pay for it now?
什么?不要吧!我周六晚上还要去理发呢,要是真被开除了,可哪有钱付账啊?
What am I going to do? I know, I’ll call Marge.
我该怎么办?啊,知道了,我给Marge打电话。
(Calling across office) Hey Brian, Pete… we’re all going to be sacked tomorrow.
(在办公室里大喊)嘿,Brian,Pete,明天我们就要被解雇了。
Erm… Anna, you’ve got a problem brewing.
呃,Anna,这下你有麻烦了。
What?
什么意思?
Tom’s spreading rumours about job cuts. Everyone’s starting to panic.
Tom正在传播裁员的谣言呢。大家都开始慌了。
Oh no! I’d better do something but what shall I say?
不是吧!不行,我得做点什么,可我要怎么说呢?
Call a meeting quickly. Tell the team ‘there are some rumours going around that are not true’.
召开紧急会议。告诉大家‘现在流传的谣言并不是真的’。
Say, ‘I am trying to establish the facts and I will let you know as soon as I have some information’.
‘我正在调查事实,一旦有消息,会尽早告知大家’。
You could say ‘I would be grateful if you hear any rumours, not to pass them on’.
‘请大家不要续传谣言,非常感谢’。
This can be a tricky situation and you need to handle it well. Good luck!
Anna,这个问题很棘手,但你得好好处理。祝你好运!
Gosh. This is hard but here goes. Excuse me, could everyone gather round please.
苍天,好麻烦,可还是得去。咳咳,打扰一下,请大家聚到一起来。
Is this about the sackings?
要说裁员的事吗?
No Denise. Any rumours about sackings are not true.
不是的,Denise。任何有关裁员的传言都是假的。
Yeah that’s right. Who told you that Denise?
对啊,是假的。Denise,谁告诉你要裁员的?
Hmmm…
呃。。。
Please don’t listen to rumours. I am trying to establish the facts and if I get any information I will let you know straight away.
请不要听信谣言。我正在调查事实,一旦有消息,我会尽早告知大家。
But I heard Mr Socrates is coming tomorrow, surely he’s going to sack us.
但我听说Socrates先生明天会来,他肯定是要解雇我们。
Ignore the rumours and please don’t pass them on.
请大家忽略谣言,不要续传下去。
Anna. Tell them to carry on with their work as normal.
Anna,告诉他们继续正常工作吧。
Right, yes. Could you please just carry on with your work as normal. Thank you.
啊,对。请大家回到座位,继续工作。谢谢。
So Anna, how are you going to find out the facts?
Anna,你要怎么查清事实啊?
I’m going to have to call Paul – in private Tom – I don’t want any more rumours getting out.
给Paul打电话。不过Tom,我要一个人去打,我不想再传出谣言。
Oh yeah, absolutely. You need to establish the facts right?
哦,对,你得调查事实,是吧?
(Door shuts and Anna calls Paul on the phone) Hello, Paul speaking.
(关上门,Anna给Paul打电话)你好,我是Paul。
Oh hi Paul. It’s Anna. Sorry to bother you. Are you feeling better?
嗨,Paul,我是Anna。很抱歉打扰你。感觉好点了吗?
Much better thanks but keeping clear of biscuits for a while! Anyway, is everything OK?
谢谢你,我已经好多了,不过这段时间不能吃饼干了。先不管这个,你那边还顺利吧?
Not exactly. There are rumours spreading about job cuts.
不太顺利。公司里流传着裁员的谣言。
Tom saw a note in your diary for tomorrow that said ‘Socrates, IPC’.
Tom在你的日记里看到一张便签,写着Socrates,IPC。
Hmm. Really? Oh yes. I mean, oh no! It’s not job cuts – it’s IPC - the International Plastics Conference tomorrow!
恩,真的?啊,我是说,不要这样!IPC不是裁员,而是明天的国际塑料会议。
And Mr Socrates is flying in for it. Oh golly gosh, I’d forgotten about that.
Socrates先生将前去参加。哦,天哪,我把这事给忘了。
I see. And why did you right final?
我明白了,那你为什么写final?
Because there’s an award being given for the Best Plastic Innovation – and we’re in the final with our Imperial Lemon.
因为明天要颁发最佳塑料创新奖,我们的帝国柠檬要参加决赛。
It was a reminder to me to write an acceptance speech. Oh golly gosh, I haven’t written a thing.
写final是为了提醒我自己撰写获奖感言。哦,天哪,我还一个字没写呢。
Oh dear. What are we going to do?
那,那怎么办?
What are you going to do indeed? But thank goodness those rumours of job cuts are not true.
是啊,Anna,你要怎么办?不过谢天谢地,裁员传闻是假的。
Tomorrow could actually be a good day for Tip Top Trading.
明天其实是顶级贸易公司的好日子。
Here’s a reminder of the phrases Anna used to try and control the spread of some office rumours:
下面一起回顾下Anna在努力控制谣言传播时用到的短语。
There are some rumours going around that are not true.
现在流传的谣言并不是真的。
Please don’t listen to rumours.
请不要听信谣言。
I am trying to establish the facts and if I get any information I will let you know straight away.
我正在调查事实,一旦有消息,我会尽早告知大家。
Ignore the rumours and please don’t pass them on.
请大家忽略谣言,不要续传下去。
Please just carry on with your work as normal. Thank you.
请大家回到座位,继续工作。谢谢。
Tomorrow is going to be an important day at the International Plastics Conference.
明天将召开国际塑料会议,这可是个重要日子。
Mr Socrates will be there and Tip Top Trading could pick up a prestigious prize but who’s going to write the acceptance speech?
Socrates先生将前往出席,顶级贸易公司可能获得大奖。但谁来写获奖感言呢?
OK Anna, this calls for some urgent action.
好了,Anna,我们得立即行动。
I want you and Tom to meet me at the Princess Diana Conference Centre tomorrow at 9.00.
明天上午9:00,你、我、Tom,在戴安娜公主会议中心见。
Right. And what about the speech?
好的,那演讲稿呢?
(Making excuses) Well, I’ve got quite a lot on my plate so I was wondering if you could give it a go… please?
(找借口)呃,我手头事情有点多,你能不能帮忙写下?
Me?! I’ve never done it before. What am I going to say?!
我?!我以前从来没写过啊。都要说什么啊?
Don’t worry Anna. We’re here to help. Join us again soon for some more English at Work. Bye!
别急,Anna。我们会帮你的。记得收听下一期职场英语哦~拜拜!