抉择时刻
Decision time
(Whispering) Hello again and welcome back to the final English at Work.
(悄悄话)大家好,欢迎收听最后一期职场英语。
Mr Socrates has sacked Paul from his position as manager of Tip Top Trading and he’s offered Anna a promotion – to be the new boss.
Socrates先生开除了顶级贸易公司的经理Paul,并想提升Anna成为新老板。
But will she accept? What’s wrong Anna?
她会接受吗?Anna,怎么啦?
I feel bad about replacing Paul. He’s been good to me.
我觉得替代Paul不妥,因为他对我一直很好。
It’s business Anna. He’s just not up to the job – but you are.
这是商业,Anna。他只是不胜任这份工作,但你可以。
Thanks. But why me? Can I do the job? I’m not as experienced as Tom.
谢谢。可为什么是我?我该做吗?我没有Tom经验丰富。
I think we have seen over the year that you definitely have more experience than Tom! Go on Anna, you can do it.
Anna,这一年我们看的很清楚,你比Tom经验丰富多了!加油,你可以的。
Hmmm.
恩。。
(On the phone) So Anna… what do you say? Will you replace Paul as the new boss of Tip Top Trading?
(在电话上)Anna,怎么样?你愿意代替Paul成为顶级贸易公司的新老板吗?
Come on Anna. This promotion recognises your achievements at the company. It’s an opportunity of a lifetime.
来吧,Anna。此次晋升是对你成就的认可,是千载难逢的好机会。
I know.
我知道。
You’ll be my right - hand man.
你将成为我的得力助手。
I think he means right-hand woman! It means you’d be his most trusted and invaluable assistant.
我想他是说右手边的女人!也就是他最信任、最宝贵的助手。
I see.
我懂了。
Anna, if you need time to think you could say “thank you for your kind words” and, “could I have time to consider your offer?”
Anna,如果你需要时间考虑,你可以说“谢谢您的温言善语”,“我可以考虑下您的提议吗?”
Erm, Mr Socrates. This news has come as a bit of a shock.
呃,Socrates先生。这条消息让我有点吃惊。
Thank you for your kind words but please could I have some time to consider your offer?
谢谢您的温言善语,请给我时间考虑下好吗?
Oh… OK Anna. But don’t leave it too long. I have a habit of changing my mind.
哦,行吧,Anna。不过别想太久哦。我可是有改变主意的习惯。
OK, Mr Socrates… I mean Brad… I’ll call you back soon. Bye.
好的,Socrates先生。呃,不是,是Brad。我会尽快给你回电话的,拜拜~
(Anna puts the phone down) Oh… has Mr S offered you Paul’s job by any chance?
(Anna放下电话)哦,Socrates先生让你做Paul的工作?
Yes !
是的!
And you said you’d think about it?
然后你说要考虑下?
Yes. I’m not sure if I can take on that much responsibility.
没错。我不确定能否承担那么多责任。
It’s easy peasy. I could do it standing on my head.
切,小菜一碟嘛,我可以不费吹灰之力就做好。
But he’s not offering you the job Tom.
可Tom,人家又没提供给你工作。
Please don’t mention this to Paul… not yet… he’s very upset.
千万别和Paul说这事,至少现在,毕竟他很伤心。
I know nothing!
我啥也不知道。
You know nothing? About what?
你不知道?什么事?
I mean, I’ll remain tight lipped… I won’t say a word… until it’s all official like. You can count on me.
我的意思是,我会守口如瓶,在正式公开前不说一个字。你可以相信我。
“You can count on me ”! ?
“你可以相信我”?!
Uh?
啊?
“You can count on me”. That was the message with that that bunch of flowers someone sent me. It was you wasn’t it?!
“你可以相信我”。这不是那束花上写的消息吗?Tom,是你送的,对不对?
(Flustered) Well… err… I suppose… yes… it was me Anna. I couldn’t help it. I… I… love you Anna.
(手足无措)呃。。。那个。。是我,Anna。我不能控制自己,我,我爱你。
Do you know what Tom… I quite like you too… I think you’re…sweet (giggle). Now come on and give me a kiss.
Tom,你知道吗?其实我也挺喜欢你的。我觉得,你很可爱(偷笑)。快过来,亲我一下。
(Door opens ) Oh crumbs, shall I come back later?!
(门开了)哦,天哪,我稍后再过来?!
No it’s ok Paul. We’re just… getting to k now each other a bit better. In fact, Anna… I’d like to ask you something.
不用,Paul,没事。我俩,就是好好认识下彼此。Anna,我其实要问你些事情。
Oh, why is Tom getting down on one knee?
哦,Tom为什么单膝下跪?
I expect he’s dropped one of his contact lenses.
又把他隐形眼镜弄掉了吧。
No it’s not that. Anna, I’d like to ask you something… err… will you… will you marry me?
不,不是的。Anna,我想问你,那个,你愿意嫁给我吗?
What?!
什么?!
Crikey, what a dilemma. Now Anna’s got two important questions to answer.
天哪,这是什么窘境!Anna要回答两个重要问题了。
Will she take the job as Tip Top Trading’s newest and youngest manager? And will she marry Tom?
首先,她会接受工作,成为顶级贸易公司的最新最年轻经理吗?其次,她会嫁给Tom吗?
Here’s a reminder of what Mr Socrates had to say about her:
下面一起回顾下Socrates先生对她说的话:
This promotion recognises your achievements at the company.
此次晋升是对你在公司成就的认可。
It’s an opportunity of a lifetime.
这是千载难逢的机会。
You would be my right- hand man.
你将成为我的得力助手。
And if Anna accepts the job, here’s what she could say:
如果Anna接受工作,她可以说:
I’d be delighted to accept. Thank you.
我很高兴接受此工作,谢谢。
When would I start?
我什么时候开始上班?
Could we discuss the terms and conditions of the new job?
我们可以讨论下新工作的任期及条件吗?
Let’s find out what Anna has to say.
一起看看Anna的回答吧。
Oh Tom, I don’t know what to say. It’s come as a bit of a shock. Can I have some time to think about it?
哦,Tom。我不知道说什么。简直太突然了,你让我考虑一下行吗?
Well, I suppose.
好吧。
Well, while you think about that, I’ve got some good news. I’ve been offered a new job.
那你先想着,我要告诉大家一个好消息。我有新工作啦!
That’s fantastic news Paul. What is it?
太棒了,Paul。什么工作?
It’s to be Head Taster a t a company called Better Biscuits.
美味饼干公司的首席品尝师。
That’s fantastic news Paul.
哇,真是个好消息。
Yeah, well done Paul. That’s right up your street.
是啊,Paul,干的不错。那工作正适合你。
So Anna, does that mean you’ll do Paul’s job now?
这么说来,Anna,你现在要做Paul的工作了吗?
No, don’t answer that. Answer my proposal first.
不,别回答她。先回答我的求婚。
I think she should sort out her work first.
我认为她该先解决工作。
I think it’s up to Anna to say what she wants.
我觉得该让Anna决定回答哪个。
But I’ve been waiting to ask her for months.
可我已经等好几个月了。
Quiet! Look everyone, I can’t decide what to say to you Tom, or Mr Socrates.
安静!大家听着。我不知道该怎样回答Tom,也不知道对Socrates先生说什么。
So I’ve decided I’m going to take a short holiday to have some time to think.
所以我决定短期休假,好好想想。
Good idea. Where shall we go to?
好主意,咱俩去哪?
On my own Tom. When I return I will give you my answers.
我一个人去,Tom。我回来后会告诉你答案。
Crumbs. I think I’d better get a biscuit.
天啊。我还是吃口饼干吧。
A good idea Anna. But we’re going to have to wait a while to find out what she decides.
好主意,Anna。不过我们要等段时间才能知道她的决定。
She needs a rest after learning so much during her year at Tip Top Trading.
这一年在顶级贸易公司学了这么多,她需要休息一下。
We hope you’ve enjoyed learning with her and now feel more confident in using English at work!
希望大家喜欢跟她学习的日子,并能自信使用职场英语!
That’s all from me and the team at Tip Top Trading for now. Until we meet again, bye!
好了,这就是我以及顶级贸易团队的全部希冀。下次再见喽,拜拜~