你能戒酒一个月吗?
Could you give up booze for a month?
Hello.
大家好。
This is 6 Minute English from BBC Learning English.
这是BBC教学英语的六分钟英语。
I'm Sam…
我是萨姆……
And I'm Rob.
我是罗伯。
So we're well into 2020 now,
现在我们进入了2020年,
how are your New Year's resolutions going, Rob?
你的新年决心进行的怎么样了,罗伯?
Ah resolutions – you mean promises people make to themselves to stop or start doing something.
啊,决心呀,你是说人们对自己所做出的要停止或开始做某事的承诺。
I promised to start running, and to stop eating biscuits and to give up alcohol for a month.
我许诺开始跑步,不再吃饼干以及戒酒一个月。
But I failed on all of them!
但都失败了!
Oh dear...
天呢……
Yes, I lasted a few days and then I started to crumble.
是的,我坚持了几天,然后我开始崩溃。
Yeah. Well, you're not alone.
是的。你不是一个人。
Many people try to kick bad habits and get healthy when a new year begins.
许多人在新年伊始时试图戒掉坏习惯,保持健康。
Their intentions – their plans to do something – are good.
他们的意图——他们做某事的计划——是好的。
Yes, giving up drinking is particularly good to do, if only for the health benefits.
是的,如果仅从健康角度来看,戒酒尤其有益。
Well, we'll be talking more about that as soon as I've set up today's question.
好的,今天的问题一设置完,我们就会讨论更多关于这个话题的内容。
According to historians,
根据历史学家的说法,
which people were thought to be the first group to make New Year's resolutions?
哪群人被认为是首先立下新年决心的人?
Was it the… a) Romans, b) Native Americans, or c) Babylonians?
是a)罗马人,b)美洲原住民,还是c)巴比伦人?
I haven't got a clue, so I'm going to guess a) the Romans.
我没有头绪,所以我猜是a)罗马人。
OK, Rob, I'll let you know if that was a good guess at the end of the programme.
好的,罗伯,我将在节目最后让你知道猜的对不对。
Now let's talk more about giving things up for New Year and specifically giving up alcohol.
现在让我们谈谈更多关于为新年放弃一些事物的内容,特别是戒酒。
It's a time often called 'Dry January'.
这段时间通常被称为“一月禁酒”。
Dry refers to not drinking alcohol, it's not about the weather!
“Dry”指的是禁酒,它和天气无关!
And the beginning of the year seems like a good time to start doing something to improve your health.
新年伊始似乎是开始做某事来改善健康的好时机。
But it's easy to give in to temptation. Isn't it, Rob?
但是我们很容易向诱惑屈服。不是吗,罗伯?
Oh yes.
噢,是的。
And it's tough to give up drinking in the first place, as Millie Gooch, founder of The Sober Girl Society knows.
正如The Sober Girl Society创始人米莉·古奇所知道的那样,一开始的时候戒酒很困难。
She spoke to BBC Radio 4s You and Yours programme and explained why it was hard to quit in the first place…
她做客BBC广播4频道的You and Yours节目,并解释了为什么一开始时戒酒很难。
I think it's the peer pressure and, you know, it's so expected of us, it's so ingrained in us.
我认为这是同辈压力,你知道的,那是对我们的期望,它是根深蒂固的。
Alcohol is everywhere and it's not just alcohol itself, it's alcohol merchandise,
酒精无处不在,不仅是酒精本身,还有酒精类商品,
so you know, you've got Christmas jumpers that have been say 'Prosecco-ho-ho-ho',
所以,你知道的,你会看到圣诞针织套衫上写着“普罗塞克(一种全球知名的意大利葡萄酒)——吼——吼——吼”,
and you can't buy a birthday card without saying 'let the fun be-gin'.
你没法买到上面没写着“开始杜松子酒的享受”的生日贺卡。
It's just absolutely everywhere, it's so hard to avoid.
它绝对是无处不在的,很难避免。
So that's Millie, who's right when she says that, in the UK at least,
那就是米莉所说的,她说的没错,至少在英国是这样,
we sometimes drink because we give in to peer pressure.
我们有时喝酒是因为屈服于同辈压力。
That's the influence a group of similar people have on you to behave like them.
那是一群和你相似的人对你的影响,让你表现得像他们一样。
We want to be part of the group so we copy what they do, and we are expected to do so,
我们想要成为那群人中的一员,所以我们效仿他们的行为,我们被期望那样,
because as Millie said drinking alcohol is ingrained in us – well in some cultures anyway.
因为正如米莉所说,喝酒在我们身上是根深蒂固的——至少在某些文化中是这样。
And when an attitude is ingrained, it means it's been that way for a long time, it's difficult to change.
当一种态度根深蒂固时,那指的是它已经那样很长时间了,很难改变。
And although it may be harmful, we see jokes about drinking through things like merchandise
尽管喝酒可能是有害的,但我们还是会在一些东西上看到关于喝酒的笑话,比如“商品”
– a word for goods we buy and sell.
——这个词指的是我们所买卖的东西。
And Millie goes on to say we can buy jumpers that joke about the Italian sparkling wine called Prosecco
米莉接着说我们可以买到有意大利起泡酒普罗塞克玩笑的针织套衫,
– which say 'Prosecco-ho-ho-ho!'
上面写着“普罗塞克——吼——吼——吼!”
And birthday cards have the message 'let the fun be-gin' – a play on the word 'begin'.
而且生日贺卡上写着“开始杜松子酒的享受”,这是对“begin”一词的恶搞。
With all this social pressure, it's hard not to give in,
在这种社会压力下,很难不屈服,
and that's even worse when you're trying to fulfil your resolution not to drink.
而当你试图实现不喝酒的决心时,情况甚至会更糟糕。
For Millie, enough was enough when drinking started to have a negative effect,
对米莉来说,喝酒开始产生负面影响时就足够糟糕了,
and she had to do something about it.
而且她不得不为此做些事情。
Let's hear from her again…
让我们再听听她是怎么说的……
I started realising that alcohol was really affecting my mental health,
我开始意识到酒精真的会影响我的精神健康,
so I was getting that really bad hangover anxiety
所以我真的开始对宿醉产生严重焦虑
– that like, hangover fear and dread,
——那就像宿醉时的恐惧和害怕,
and I kind of noticed that was permeating everyday life.
而且我注意到它正在渗透到我的日常生活之中。
I was a binge drinker rather than like an everyday drinker…
我曾经是一个酗酒者,而不是每天都喝酒的那种人……
So I just decided that it wasn't suiting my life any more and I wanted to give it up.
所以我认定它不再适合我的生活,我想放弃它。
So Millie there described the negative effects of a hangover
所以米莉描述了宿醉的负面影响
– that's the sick and tired feeling you get after drinking too much alcohol.
那是你喝了太多酒之后恶心和疲倦的感觉。
She also said she felt anxiety.
她还说她感到焦虑。
And this feeling was permeating her everyday life.
这种感觉渗透到她的日常生活之中。
When something permeates it spreads through something and influences every part of it.
当某物渗透时,它会扩散并影响到自己的各个部分。
So, drinking was affecting her everyday life, and it didn't help that she was a binge drinker.
所以,喝酒影响了她的日常生活,而她是个酗酒者也没什么帮助。
When you binge you do something occasionally but too extreme.
当你放纵时,你会偶尔做某事,但非常极端。
Well, Millie managed to quit drinking and hasn't touched a drop since.
嗯,米莉设法戒了酒,从那以后一滴也没碰过。
There are many benefits to remaining sober – that means not being drunk.
保持清醒有很多好处——那指的是不喝醉。
And one of them is hearing the answer to today's question!
好处之一就是听到今天问题的答案!
Earlier I asked you: According to historians, which people were thought to be the first group to make New Year's resolutions?
早些时候我问你:根据历史学家的说法,哪群人被认为是首先立下新年决心的人?
Was it the… a) Romans, b) Native Americans, or c) Babylonians?
是a)罗马人,b)美洲原住民,还是c)巴比伦人?
And Rob, what did you say?
罗伯,你说什么?
I had a wild guess and said it was the Romans.
我胡乱猜想,说是罗马人。
Sorry, Rob, you are wrong.
很遗憾,罗伯,你答错了。
Many historians think it was the Babylonians who made the first ever New Year's resolutions,
许多历史学家认为,巴比伦人是最先立下新年决心的人,
about 4,000 years ago.
大约是在4000年前。
According to the history.com website, at New Year – which they celebrated in mid-March,
据history.com网站称,在3月中旬庆祝新年时,
Babylonians made promises to the gods to pay their debts and return any objects they had borrowed.
巴比伦人向众神许诺偿还债务并归还他们所借的任何物品。
I wonder if they managed to keep their resolutions for longer than I did…
我不知道他们保持决心是否比我坚持得更久……
Anyway, let's keep one of our regular promises
不管怎样,让我们遵守我们惯常承诺之一
- to recap the vocabulary we've discussed today.
——复习我们今天讨论的词汇。
Starting with resolution…
从决心开始……
…which in the context of a New Year's resolution, is a promise to yourself to stop or start doing something.
在新年决心的语境中,那是指对自己所做出的要停止或开始做某事的承诺。
Peer pressure is the influence a group of similar people have on you to behave like them.
同辈压力是一群和你相似的人对你的影响,让你表现得像他们一样。
Ingrained describes an attitude or idea that has been done in a certain way for a long time and it's difficult to change.
“根深蒂固”形容的是以某种方式存在了很长时间的一种态度或想法,而且它很难改变。
And merchandise is a word for goods we buy and sell.
“商品”这个词是指我们买卖的东西。
We also mentioned a hangover.
我们还提到了宿醉。
That's the sick, tired and sometimes anxious feeling you get after drinking too much alcohol.
那是你喝了太多酒之后,恶心、疲倦的感觉,有时还会感到焦虑。
And permeating describes spreading through something and influencing every part of it.
渗透指的是在某物中扩散开来并影响它的每一部分。
Like the vocabulary in this programme, Sam!
就像这个节目里的词汇,萨姆!
Thanks, Rob - and that's all for now.
谢谢你,罗伯,以上就是今天的全部内容。
Bye bye!
拜拜!