碰运气
Pot luck
Hello and welcome to The English We Speak, I'm Feifei…
大家好,欢迎收听地道英语,我是菲菲……
…and hello, I'm Rob.
……大家好,我是罗布。
Now Feifei, I've got a confession to make…
菲菲,我有件事要坦白……
OK, so what is this confession?
好,所以你是要坦白什么?
Well, I haven't chosen a piece of authentic real English to explain today.
嗯,我今天并没有准备一句要在节目里阐释的地道英语。
Oh, OK.
噢,好吧。
Do you have any choices?
你有什么选择吗?
Right, well, here is the list of phrases…
这是一份短语的清单……
have a look, what do you think?
看一眼,你觉得怎么样?
Hmmm, let me see…
嗯,让我看看……
Shall we take 'pot luck'?
那我们“碰碰运气”怎么样?
Pot luck' –
“碰运气”——
So you mean one at random and see what happens?
你是说随便找一个,看看会怎样?
No, I mean let's pick 'pot luck' as a phrase –
不,我是说让我们挑“碰运气”这个短语——
look, it's there on your list.
看,清单上有。
Oh, Feifei you are a genius.
噢,菲菲你真是个天才。
You have just explained an authentic English phrase –
你刚刚解释了一句地道英语——
job done.
工作完成啦。
Don't sound so surprised!
不要大惊小怪的!
Well our phrase is pot luck which describes a situation in which one must take a chance that whatever is available will prove to be good or acceptable.
我们的短语就是“碰运气”,描述的是必须冒险一试,看发生的事情好不好,可不可以接受的情况。
Yes, pot luck describes a situation that isn't planned or prepared,
对,“碰运气”描述的是未计划或未准备的情况,
you just take a chance and hope that the result will be good or acceptable.
你只是冒险一试,希望结果会好或是可以接受。
Let's take pot luck Rob and hope these examples will show this phrase in action…
让我们来碰碰运气吧罗布,希望这些例子可以通过应用阐释这个短语……
We didn't know which restaurant to eat at,
我们不知道去哪家餐厅吃,
so took pot luck and chose the one recommended in the guide book.
所以就碰碰运气,选指南里推荐的那家吧。
If you can't decide which book to pick, take pot luck,
如果我们决定不了选哪本书,就碰碰运气,
I'm sure they'll all be good to read.
我确定这些书读起来都很好。
I'm going to take pot luck,
我打算碰碰运气,
and I'm sure the course I choose will be the right one for me.
我确定我选择的课程会是非常适合我的一门课。
So if you take pot luck at something, you take a chance that whatever is available will prove to be good or acceptable.
所以如果你在某件事上碰碰运气,你会冒险一试,看发生的事情好不好,可不可以接受。
It's a bit like presenting this programme with you Rob!
这有点像和你一起做这期节目,罗布!
Not exactly Feifei –
不全是这样的菲菲,
I am the only presenter available so you don't get any choice about who you present with –
我是唯一能和你一起做这个节目的人,你别无选择,
there is no luck involved.
所以并没有什么运不运气的。
True –
对,
that's not pot luck, that's bad luck –
这不是碰碰运气,这就是厄运,
is that on your list of phrases?
这个词在你的清单上吗?
Let me have a look…
让我看看……
no no, but next time let's choose our English phrase before we come to the studio so we won't be taking pot luck anymore.
不在,不过下次我们还是在来演播室之前就选好我们的英语表达吧,这样我们就不用再碰运气了。
Yes let's.
好的,就这样做。
See ya.
再见。
Bye.
再见。