专为老年男性开设的烹饪班
Cooking classes for elderly men
I really have to look after her.
我真的需要照顾她。
Frank and Marion have been married for 63 years.
弗兰克和玛丽昂结婚已经六十三年了。
I’m her carer. And she’s not a well lady.
我是她的护理员。她身体不太好。
Marion used to do most of the cooking but she has Alzheimer’s disease – the most common form of dementia – so that’s becoming harder.
过去多是玛丽昂下厨,但因为她现在患有阿兹海默症,即最常见的失智症类型,做饭对她来说变得越来越难。
So Frank has been going to cooking classes run by Age UK, Barnet, aimed at men who, like Frank, would like to cook but have never learned.
所以,弗兰克近期参加了由慈善机构 “Age UK” 在巴尼特区开办的烹饪课,此课程面向弗兰克这样从没学过但想要开始做饭的男性。
My wife passed away three years ago and I’ve relied entirely on her capabilities as a wife and a cook.
我妻子在三年前去世了,在那之前,她是我妻子兼厨师,我完全依赖她做饭。
Nancy runs the class voluntarily.
南茜自愿管理这个烹饪班。
You’ve got a whole generation of men out there this particular age – between 70s and 80s, even up to 90 – who’ve never learned to cook.
在这里上课的人的年龄多是七十多岁到八十多岁之间,甚至有九十岁高龄的人,他们这一代男性从没学过做饭。
That was the generation that didn’t do it.
那个年代的男性就没学过。
So they come to these classes, they get some skills, they get some company and they have a bit of fun as well.
所以,现在来这里上课,学习烹饪技巧,结识一些伙伴,还能让自己开心娱乐一下。
There are classes like this across the UK but Age UK would like to offer more – a way of tackling loneliness and boosting healthy eating.
英国各地都有类似的烹饪班,但 “Age UK” 想提供更多服务,以解决老年孤独和促进健康饮食的方法。
If it wasn’t for this, I would be absolutely useless at home.
如果没来上烹饪课,我在家里就派不上一点用场。
I can now do my share of cooking at home, take a weight off my wife’s shoulders.
现在我在家里也能做饭了,减轻了妻子的负担。
And really, it’s the greatest thing that’s happened to me in years.
这真是近些年来在我身上发生的最好的事。
What’s it like now Frank’s been going to these cooking classes?
弗兰克最近一直在上烹饪课,你觉得有什么变化吗?
Well, it’s very good actually because it’s good experience for him.
嗯,其实非常好,因为对他来说,这是很好的经历。
Do you have a favourite dish he can now cook?
在他目前会做的菜里,你最喜欢哪一道?
Chicken, I think. Chicken.
我想是鸡肉。鸡肉。